Lost Season 5 Thread 1

Werthead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Some interesting tidbits from the latest Darlton video - a complete tour of the writers' room, which would seem boring, but they showed the "Wall of Characters." (They have it split between those whom are alive, dead, and undead.

I think you guys would be surprised to know that:

SPOILER: In the "alive camp
Both Locke and Jin are shown on the big board as alive. I'm so relieved. I know there has been some dispute that Jin was really dead, but alas, no. Also Claire is still listed as alive, for those who care. There was a rumour that she was now dead and had been since her house exploded and Sawyer rescued her - and that Christian took her off the the land of the undead. Not the case, at least in the writers' room.

Anyway, 2 more weeks! I can't wait! And has anyone watched the flashforwards in order? It's a special feature on the season 4 DVD, and it's interesting to see how they unfold in "real time."

I heard about this but haven't seen it yet.

It's annoying that the DVDs are taking so long to come down to a decent price. I really should pick up S2-4 as I haven't down a rewatch since they originally aired.

Out of curiousity has it been revealed how many survivors of the plane crash are still alive (not including the tailies who got kidnapped by the others)? Season 4 wiped out a number of them, when the commandos attacked the Other village and when the freighter blew up. Only a handful of the main characters are Oceanic survivors.

[quote name='Derfel Cadarn' post='1644160' date='Jan 11 2009, 01.36']Out of curiousity has it been revealed how many survivors of the plane crash are still alive (not including the tailies who got kidnapped by the others)? Season 4 wiped out a number of them, when the commandos attacked the Other village and when the freighter blew up. Only a handful of the main characters are Oceanic survivors.[/quote]

Lostpedia has a running tally on this. Apparently, from midway through Season 1 onwards the production team 'locked' the extras playing the other, unnamed 815 survivors, meaning that in this case freezing the DVDs and making a tally of the people wandering around actually does build up a picture of who the other survivors are. However, some of the extras have left, others have replaced them, and others left when Nikki and Paulo were introduced out of nowhere, etc, so this is not a cast-iron method. Nevertheless, the results seem viable:

According to [url="http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Oceanic_Flight_815_survivors"]Lostpedia[/url], there were 72 initial survivors of 815. 26 of them have died over the course of the show, including 4 killed when the freighter exploded (including Michael, but not Jin who is listed as MIA instead) and 3 killed in the assault on Othersville. Another 13 have joined the Others (14 if you count Locke). 5 are listed as being on the zodiac raft with Faraday and are listed as MIA along with him (but he's not an 815 survivor, so he isn't in the count). Claire and Jin are also counted as MIA. 10 are counted as being alive and at the beach. There are another 3 listed as their status being uncertain but are probably at the beach camp as well. Assuming the zodiac raft folk make it back to the Island, that gives us:

15-18 people in the beach camp, including Sawyer, Rose and Bernard, plus Juliet, Charlotte, Faraday and Miles (not 815 survivors).

14 people with the Others, including Locke and Cindy, plus however many Others have survived, led by Richard Alpert.

2 - Jin and Claire - are listed as MIA and their status is in severe doubt.

6 back home in civilisation, plus Waaaaaaaaaalt!

That's a total of 39 survivors, or 25 not including the ones who were Othersified, or 18 still on the Island and at liberty.

Rather bemusing that the only two named survivors from the pilot episode still alive and well and on the beach are Sawyer and Rose. Everyone else is a randome extra, dead or a latecomer.

And considering how many people have died, am I the only one who finds it odd that anyone would want to stay on this island? Several characters throughout the show's run have commented on how they have a new life there and don't want to go back, which would be fine and all, if there weren't polar bears, factions fighting wars for the ownership of the island, a giant smoke monster that likes to strange people, and all the other shit that goes down.

[i]SFX Magazine[/i] has some stuff on the return of [b]Lost[/b] including a nice bit from Darlton:

SPOILER: Lost Minor Spoiler
"We know if the Oceanic Six spent the whole season trying to get back to the Island, the audience would kill us."

Encouraging, as that is exactly what I feared would happen.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1649939' date='Jan 15 2009, 09.21'][i]SFX Magazine[/i] has some stuff on the return of [b]Lost[/b] including a nice bit from Darlton:

"We know if the Oceanic Six spent the whole season trying to get back to the Island, the audience would kill us."

Encouraging, as that is exactly what I feared would happen.[/quote]

I know what you mean, Wert. But actually, I've heard that they

get back around halfway through the season.

I think what we should really be asking ourselves is "who" Ben meant when he said "All of you." (as in have to go back.) Obviously he was including Locke's body, but did he include Desmond and/or Walt?

[quote name='Mya Stone' post='1649979' date='Jan 15 2009, 15.02']I know what you mean, Wert. But actually, I've heard that they

get back around halfway through the season.

I think what we should really be asking ourselves is "who" Ben meant when he said "All of you." (as in have to go back.) Obviously he was including Locke's body, but did he include Desmond and/or Walt?[/quote]

More importantly, do they need to get on the scuba gear and go scrape Michael's gibbified remmnants off the wreckage of the freighter at the bottom of the Pacific and return them to the Island as well? :stunned:

[quote name='Werthead' post='1650030' date='Jan 15 2009, 10.44']More importantly, do they need to get on the scuba gear and go scrape Michael's gibbified remmnants off the wreckage of the freighter at the bottom of the Pacific and return them to the Island as well? :stunned:[/quote]

:rofl:

I think the Island let Michael go. (I know, you're kidding here.)

All kidding aside, I'm really wondering why the Island wanted Michael to delay the freighter from blowing up to allow the O6 to leave in the first place if it was just going to require their return. You know what I mean?

Unless the reason Michael had to delay the bomb was to allow Aaron to leave, and the rest of them were allowed temporary asylum.

Am I making sense?

Yeah, I think so much hinges on Aaron and the island isn't willing to have him get killed. And possibly Walt, too, although he kind of faded in importance after the whole Others-abduction thing.

I can't wait another week!!!

[quote name='Starkess' post='1650067' date='Jan 15 2009, 11.27']Yeah, I think so much hinges on Aaron and the island isn't willing to have him get killed. And possibly Walt, too, although he kind of faded in importance after the whole Others-abduction thing.

I can't wait another week!!![/quote]

I can't wait either!

I think the purpose of bringing Michael back last year was not only to give his story closure, but to put Walt back in our minds. He is "special," he had a communion with the Island (like Locke), and he now has a reason to want to go back (to find his dad, who, thanks to Hurley, he believes is still alive).

I truly believe that Walt will have great importance to the overall story - possibly moreso than Aaron.

I just caught up through Netflix finishing Season 4. I love this show.

Monsters: Yep. Smoke Monsters.

Great sci/fi elements.

The show isn't afraid to take out major characters. Even minor characters don't get spared. I'm thinking of the shocking hostage killing by the mercenary during an ultimatum in Season 4.

Love all the curve balls and the mythology.

Great characters with great scenery that you usually don't get in TV shows.

Oh my god, its almost here. I can't take it. :bang:

I thought Season 4 was the best season yet, and I have impossibly high expectations for Season 5.

What is your favorite episode? Mine is The Constant.

Archived