Footyball! II

Iskaral Pust

[i]Responding to Eloisa's point in the original thread about Liverpool winning ugly against Sunderland and Middlesboro possibly indicating a true title challenge this year.[/i]

I hope so. I'm a Liverpool supporter and I would like to take some positive from those poor performances. Right now we have two ugly and slightly fortunate wins. I would take 36 more like them.

I think we will struggle to score against massed defences until we have more quality in the wide attacking areas. Our attack is often too narrow and therefore too easy to contain. But hope springs eternal and perhaps this will be our year.

[quote name='Smudge' post='1493359' date='Aug 25 2008, 06.45']Wow. Sounds as though the Spanish Supercopa was pretty impressive![/quote]

Amen. Sounds like a whole lot of fun.The other supercup was the italian one and Mourinho seems to have no jinx about penalty kick shootouts now.

so transfer season almost over, some people will have to get moving soon. There is an interesting situation with Quaresma right now, I got some theories about it all..

Media are reporting here that Madrid has made Valencia, at last, a 48M€ offer for Villa. (Who didn't see this one coming, I wonder?)

It seems that they have said "No" at first. We shall see what happens in the end throughout this week.

Then again, 48 M €?!?! Is it worthwhile?

I mean if it gets through it adds up to a formidable forward line, but still... :unsure:

From what I hear, the player would be up for it; but let's say I don't have too much trust in the negotiating habilities of our board.

Oh yes... and about yesterday's match. :wideeyed:

I know its a minor competition and all that. But losing 1-0 with 9 men, and then turning the match upside down for a 4-2 and against Valencia?!?!

I tell you, that [b]only[/b] happens in the Bernabeu and with Real Madrid.

What do you want me to say, except that there's a bloody lot with that white jersey and that field?

:smug:

Dimitar Berbatov may be about to prove that sulking is a viable strategy for career progression. Only six days left for Fergie to clinch that deal. Gareth Barry could have learned something from this.

On a related topic, Spurs seem to want to show the world that if you have enough midfielders you can do without strikers. They arrived at this new theory after previously failing to prove that enough strikers removes the need for any defenders.

Lots of speculation in English newspapers about Riera's imminent(?) move to Anfield (or Goodison?). Also mentions that Downing is still not out of the question for Rafa.

With these new rules popping up, I must say I would like to see more English people join the club. And Downing seem to be universally fawned over.

Also, my fantasy team has gotten off to a horrible start because the site didn't register my subbing, leaving players like Reina off for the first two games and Carew and Nasri off the field for the first game.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1493865' date='Aug 25 2008, 18.23']Then again, 48 M €?!?! Is it worthwhile?[/quote]

If you are demanding 45 million for Robinho, who you guys don´t want to keep and has been saying he does not want to stay, then maybe Villa who they want to keep. Plus selling to a national rival is always more expensive, when you sell a player you know for sure you willplaying against him twice a year, every year and any points won by him will be against your own league standings.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1493865' date='Aug 25 2008, 18.23']From what I hear, the player would be up for it; but let's say I don't have too much trust in the negotiating habilities of our board.[/quote]

To be fair, economical situation is changing all the time. And time is sort of running out on the transfer season, if you want one big massive transfer ( your or Barcelona, do they really want Arshavin?) to impress the sócios, it´s going to cost money. clubs will demand lots of money for their best players and it´s their right, season nearly starting. Clubs wanting to buy will gave to think of their ambitions and how much money they can put there.

Speaking of which Ricardo Quaresma has been hidden away all summer, no training, no friendlies, no participation on any game, no comments, from club staff all is Ok, small physical problems.We don´t know if he is sulking, if he is being punished, if it´s to please a prospective buyer. I think there is some serious bargaining going on with Inter, but Mourinho is quite capable of just saying no (though they really do need a sub for Figo. Figo can not handle much minutes and they are much less creative and interesting when he is out of the pitch. and not sure who else is available for replacement) and they will insist on something like 40 million. problem is if Inter does not back down and there is no other prospective seller, they have reportedly promised Quaresma he would be allowed to leave this summer, meaning the deal might still blow up on their face.

Just saw this in the closing of the last thread.

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1491159' date='Aug 22 2008, 21.44']True that 30 goals in Holland is not the same as doing it in Spain or England. But he has done it 3 years in a row, which is exceptional. What is that number of Dutch strikers you are thinking of btw who scored so much at home and then failed abroad?

I remember Dutch league topscorers such as Van Basten, Bergkamp, Kluivert, Makaay, van Nistelrooy who went on and all did very well in the biggest of leagues, so I'm curious who you mean?[/quote]

Uhm... Dirk Kuyt?

I just read an interesting article about a paper by two Italian economists who have developed a statistical model to analize whether a football match has been manipulated by the referee, as happened in the Calcipioli scandal in 2006. I can't find an English article on the subject, but [url="http://www.eea-esem.com/files/papers/EEA-ESEM/2008/1333/Italian_Job_Boeri_Severgnini_17June.pdf"]here[/url] is a pdf of the paper itself (which I'm too lazy to read).

Apart from their findings apparently matching the list of games the Italian police suspects to have been manipulated, additional interesting tidbits are: most of the manipulations happened in the middle of the season, not towards the end as one might suspect, and manipulation seems much more likely in a league dominated by a small number of clubs, something that by now is the case in every major European league.

More inconsistent refereeing in the Portsmouth vs Man U game. I am SHOCKED, let me tell you. :| Football is just annoying to watch atm. In fact, I might go back to watching Sunday league football instead since the standard of reffing is higher there.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1494910' date='Aug 26 2008, 13.05']Apart from their findings apparently matching the list of games the Italian police suspects to have been manipulated, additional interesting tidbits are: most of the manipulations happened in the middle of the season, not towards the end as one might suspect, and manipulation seems much more likely in a league dominated by a small number of clubs, something that by now is the case in every major European league.[/quote]

I am going to check that pdf now. And mid season manipulation does fit my empirical observations (cheating bastards). I am not sure thereis any league not dominated by a small number of clubs. BTW something which has been of concern also, there have been some cases f doping in Italy. The Nandralone, the fact that some ballon d or winning players seem to have become shit when they left Italy ( one of them there is footage with him and a syringe before a uefa cup final. the other back in Italy now, wonder what will happen to his form.). It´s worrying. And a pity because some of their games can be so very good(yes, seriously. Ok mostly games involving Roma and Fiorentina, but true.. ;))

Erzulie

I wouldn't say Kuyt even fits in that list. He's more of a hard worker, someone a no. 9 striker plays around. He didn't score as much as the others who've gone on to do very well aborad either.

That said I don't think Kuyt's been a bad signing for Liverpool, which Benitez must be thinking as well since he's still playing him. Of course, he's not playing as a striker at Liverpool so it's not really a fair comparison either. And Torres is obviously a far better target man than Kuyt is.

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1495487' date='Aug 26 2008, 14.06']Erzulie

I wouldn't say Kuyt even fits in that list. He's more of a hard worker, someone a no. 9 striker plays around. He didn't score as much as the others who've gone on to do very well aborad either.

That said I don't think Kuyt's been a bad signing for Liverpool, which Benitez must be thinking as well since he's still playing him. Of course, he's not playing as a striker at Liverpool so it's not really a fair comparison either. And Torres is obviously a far better target man than Kuyt is.[/quote]

Kuyt was a prolific goal-scorer in Holland. I'm not at all thrilled with his impact at Liverpool though.

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1495487' date='Aug 26 2008, 19.06']Of course, he's not playing as a striker at Liverpool so it's not really a fair comparison either.[/quote]

He was played as a striker in his first season at Liverpool but he didn't score enough. Thats why he is played on the right nowadays.

Its interesting the way some players shine in one league then fail in another. You get players like Diego Forlan, who couldn't buy a goal in England, going on to be prolific in Spain. Freddie Kanoute aswell to a lesser degree. Torres was a good player in an average team in Spain, goes to England and hits 30 goals or so.

Bergkamp and Henry were average in Serie A but were world class in England. Whereas its the other way round for Shevchenko. I suppose a lot of it is down to tactics. Sheva was never meant for 4-3-3.

It must be said that Kuyt does look better for Holland than he does for the Scousers. Though not as skillfull as Robben, Van Persie or Huntelaar.

As for RVN, I'm in awe of the guy. He is a fuckin' goal machine. How do the Dutch do it? Is it possible for the main striker of Man Utd and then Real Madrid to be under-rated? 'Cause I think RVN is way underated.

Oh yeah, for those who haven't seen it, here's Steve McLaren (ex-England manager and native Yorkshireman) speaking English in a Dutch accent despite only having lived there (Holland) for a month or two. Its [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg_xa-c9hHY"]seriously weird[/url].

'I say...uh...we are not jusht, what you call, underdogsh...'

Bear in mind he has lived in the UK all his life. The man has completely flipped.

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1494937' date='Aug 26 2008, 13.22']Cannavaro, yes. ;) Although I have a lot of confidence left in his prowess.

Also Zidane had some shit directed at him with some of Juve's medical staff practices.[/quote]

I am curious about Shevchenko´s form. I don´t want to be cynical about this, but Milan´s transfer tactics ( Ronaldinho, Shevchenko AND Senderos? oh, wow) are so so weird.

BTW Inquisitor, my commiserations, not being able to get Kaká or Cristiano Ronaldo is one thing, not being able to get Santiago Cazorla is a completely different matter :devil:

( yes, I am evil. But the assumption that Real Madrid could just get any player they felt like sort of annoyed a lot of people for a long time, maybe it is time for the myth to put down a bit. or maybe you guys will get Villa with great pomp and pretend you never heard of kaká or Cristiano Ronaldo OR Cazorla. A name which does not quite fit that sentence btw ;))

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1496155' date='Aug 27 2008, 03.03']Kuyt was a prolific goal-scorer in Holland. I'm not at all thrilled with his impact at Liverpool though.[/quote]I've never spoken to a Liverpool fan who has a problem with him actually, mainly due to his work rate, the speed at which he adapted to the PL, and his unpussylike behaviour.

Archived