True Blood

Brandon Stark

[quote name='Triskele' post='1511344' date='Sep 9 2008, 14.44']OK, I missed something that must have been explained. The drainers obviously find value in vampire blood but I missed what that value is. Who do they sell it to? What is it for? Can humans benefit from drinking it? Is it to be sold to copmanies like the one that developed Tru Blood? Please clarify.[/quote]
I think in the first episode they mention that it is used as a drug by some people.

SPOILER: From the second episode
Sookie does drink Bill's blood after getting severely beaten by the trailer trash and is completely healed by it. In later days her senses are extremely keen and her libido is increased as well. There may be other effects, but that was all that was mentioned. And by the way, the second episode was interesting and the identity of the owner of the bar seems a bit more clear. Still wasn't fantastic (and the ending was kind of obnoxious IMO), but I was still entertained.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1511344' date='Sep 9 2008, 13.44']Watched this quite stoned the othe night and I rarely smoke anymore so it was a trip. I wasn't too impressed with the first episode but I will certainly give it a few more.

I don't know if my being a bit high was making me hypersensitive but I felt like Paquin struggled with her accent a bit which got on my nerves. Hopefully that was just me and this won't be a problem going forward.

OK, I missed something that must have been explained. The drainers obviously find value in vampire blood but I missed what that value is. Who do they sell it to? What is it for? Can humans benefit from drinking it? Is it to be sold to copmanies like the one that developed Tru Blood? Please clarify.[/quote]

It is explained that drinking vampire blood makes a human feel stronger, faster, healthier, and more alive and that it is also addictive.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1511433' date='Sep 9 2008, 15.28']I think in the first episode they mention that it is used as a drug by some people.

SPOILER: From the second episode
Sookie does drink Bill's blood after getting severely beaten by the trailer trash and is completely healed by it. In later days her senses are extremely keen and her libido is increased as well. There may be other effects, but that was all that was mentioned. And by the way, the second episode was interesting and the identity of the owner of the bar seems a bit more clear. Still wasn't fantastic (and the ending was kind of obnoxious IMO), but I was still entertained.
[/quote]

And here I thought the first episode was recent.

When exactly is this show on?

[quote name='Mexal' post='1511542' date='Sep 9 2008, 16.44']And here I thought the first episode was recent.

When exactly is this show on?[/quote]
Sunday nights. The first aired on HBO 2 days ago.

[quote name='Brandon Stark' post='1511679' date='Sep 9 2008, 18.35']I believe the spoiler was via the book series.[/quote]
I have never read the books.

:leaving:

Yeah, like Kay Fury said, the dog following her's a werewolf. The bar owner specifically. Haven't read the books, just going by the painting in his office. They really hit you over the head with it, don't they?

Ah, well. This show doesn't seem to be going for subtlety. As escapism, it isn't too bad. I'll give it a chance to find its legs.

Something I've noticed in many audience members (or at least many vocal ones) is, well, frankly [i]impatience[/i]. In this series, for example, evidently there is some incentive to drain a vampire of his blood and sell it.

Now, the series in that episode gave hints as to what that incentive might be. Not a full answer. But I'm willing to wait and learn more. Me, I like mysteries. And from the ratings on shows like [u]Lost[/u] I must conclude I am not the only one.

Methinks a show about vampires that told you everything right up front--or any show for that matter--would be deadly dull, btw.

[quote name='Zahir al Daoud' post='1512604' date='Sep 10 2008, 12.21']Something I've noticed in many audience members (or at least many vocal ones) is, well, frankly [i]impatience[/i]. In this series, for example, evidently there is some incentive to drain a vampire of his blood and sell it.

Now, the series in that episode gave hints as to what that incentive might be. Not a full answer. But I'm willing to wait and learn more. Me, I like mysteries. And from the ratings on shows like [u]Lost[/u] I must conclude I am not the only one.

Methinks a show about vampires that told you everything right up front--or any show for that matter--would be deadly dull, btw.[/quote]

I agree your point. [i]The Sopranos[/i], at least in my opinion (and really, I'm right), didn't take off until "College". Which was the fifth episode and it essentially made the show. Obviously, people saw things in the pilot, in the concept that drew them along. I'm not sure that's the case with [i]True Blood[/i], people see fundamental problems with the writing and acting. It's not as much an issue of patience as it is them thinking the show is a worthless piece of shit to begin with.

Speaking of ratings, this show pulled down 1,400,000 viewers (2,100,000 with the immediate reairing factored in). HBO does consider that, as well as OnDemand and DVR numbers. Read they're estimating the audience at around 4,000,000 people or so. I have no idea what that means for its renewal chances. But, I tend to think it has a good shot because they only have two other active drama properties.

[quote]Good for Charlaine Harris. She's about the sweetest lady I've ever met at a Worldcon, and that's saying something.[/quote]

Don't know her, but I have a kneejerk negative reaction to middle-aged women writing vampire stories.

[quote]Speaking of ratings, this show pulled down 1,400,000 viewers (2,100,000 with the immediate reairing factored in). HBO does consider that, as well as OnDemand and DVR numbers. Read they're estimating the audience at around 4,000,000 people or so. I have no idea what that means for its renewal chances. But, I tend to think it has a good shot because they only have two other active drama properties.[/quote]

4 million is good regular number for an HBO show. Better than most of their other shows not named Sopranos. Of course this was a premiere, so there's no reason to believe it will retain that audience. Be curious to see how it does down the line.

[quote]4 million is good regular number for an HBO show. Better than most of their other shows not named Sopranos. Of course this was a premiere, so there's no reason to believe it will retain that audience. Be curious to see how it does down the line.[/quote]

[i]John From Cincinnati[/i] was getting 3,000,000 a week on it's initial airing, as far as I'm aware, more than twice the audience for [i]True Blood[/i] and HBO cancelled that. People fucking hated that show for some reason, though. I'm not sure what their standard are at this point. But, given that they renewed [i]In Treatment[/i], it's clear that they're factoring in OnDemand, DVR and repeat airings into the equation in a significant way. No one was watching every episode of that show, five days a week. Even the most ardent fans.

I just watched the second episode (it leaked) and it's a significant improvement over the pilot. It's not awesome or anything, but it's better.

[quote name='The Sandy Llama' post='1512878' date='Sep 10 2008, 15.02']I just watched the second episode (it leaked) and it's a significant improvement over the pilot. It's not awesome or anything, but it's better.[/quote]
That's what I saw. A bit less of the annoying friend it seemed like, or at least she was less annoying. I really wasn't impressed with the ending though.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1512888' date='Sep 10 2008, 15.08']That's what I saw. A bit less of the annoying friend it seemed like, or at least she was less annoying. I really wasn't impressed with the ending though.[/quote]

No, yeah, I agree. Tara was toned down a bit, less of a caricature, closer to a person. The actress does a good job with what she's been given. Really enjoyed the scene where Bill met Sookie's family. All the Bill/Sookie stuff, actually.

The ending? Agree with you, dude, it's weird that Ball is going for cliff hangers two weeks in a row, knowing that both are going to lead to nothing since they involve the main fucking character. That's not even a spoiler.

Archived