Nymeria and the MASSIVE wolf pack.

Andhaira

Ok the wolf pack plaguing the riverlands has become, IMO a very big problem and too much of an issue to just have it fade away in the novels.

Its been around since book 2, and it was a big problem then. But by AFFC according to Speton maribald the wolf pack numbers in the hundreds. HUNDREDS. Thats freaking huge. And Nymeria by all accounts has become more feral than Shaggydog and Grey Wind combined.

So what role will they play? The only way I think they can be used effectively (and thus have an actual point!) is attacking the wights when they come down from the Wall for the final battle against Dany on the Trident (according to dany's vision)

Ghost has already shown how effect wolves can be against wights, so IMO the pack will help the humans keep the wights off while the humans focus on the Others.

Thougts?

Yeah but see that would be too out of character. In all other animal/undead scees in ASOIAF we see animals moving AWAY from the Others and the Wights. Why would this pack be any different; sure there are a lot of them but there will be a LOT of wights and others as well. Also, why would the wolves actually come out to 'help' the humans? Also the spoiler Prologue chapter from ADwD teells us more about how animals may react in a situation like this.

IMO the pack ought to be a dbl edged sword; they will kill both humans and wights who venture into their territory, but only if there are a few of them, otherwise the wolves will turn tail and run.

Do you have multiple personalities Andhaira? It sounds like you are arguing with yourself. :)
I liked your first post but then you ask why would wolves help people, the dire-wolves have been helping the Starks the whole series.
I hope one day Arya gets to meet up with Nymeria again however unlikely that may seem now, I just re-read that chapter when she's telling Ned that they had to throw rocks at her to stop her from following. :cry:

I have a very bad feeling about this pack. Everyone knows about it and has a hostile intent towards them. Just think of how many characters have mentioned this pack.

My hunch is that someone (maybe Uncat and dondarion's flock of bandits) kills Nymeria.
This in turn causes Arya to lose her last shred of self and finish her training as a FM.
I can see some dramatic scene where she snaps needle over her knee after having her final wolf dream where she "dies" as Nymeria.

[quote]My hunch is that someone (maybe Uncat and dondarion's flock of bandits) kills Nymeria.[/quote]Nymeria was the one who pulled Cat from the river and warned others of the pack not to eat her, so I think this scenario unlikely. I think it more likely that the pack will aid the BwB, they have already had a go at Ser Dermott's party who were tracking them.

[quote name='brandon blackfyre' post='1512117' date='Sep 10 2008, 09.19']Nymeria was the one who pulled Cat from the river and warned others of the pack not to eat her, so I think this scenario unlikely. I think it more likely that the pack will aid the BwB, they have already had a go at Ser Dermott's party who were tracking them.[/quote]

I somehow don't remember that at all.

I think the key role for Nemeria and her pack was to show how strong the Direwolf has become compared to Arya. Also as a way of bringing cat back from the dead.
--- Arya has become blind at the end of aFfC. IMO she failed the test, but there is a benefit,. . . she learns to open her third eye as Bran did, Maybe not at strongly but atleast to control her warging to the same extent Bran has.

I don't think Arya failed the test, note in one of the earlier chapters at the house of black and white there is a blind acolyte in there lighting the candles. So I think it may be just a stage in her training, which she should have no trouble with because Syrio taught her that "[i]A water dancer sees with all her senses[/i]".

[quote name='brandon blackfyre' post='1521337' date='Sep 17 2008, 04.20']I don't think Arya failed the test, note in one of the earlier chapters at the house of black and white there is a blind acolyte in there lighting the candles. So I think it may be just a stage in her training, which she should have no trouble with because Syrio taught her that "[i]A water dancer sees with all her senses[/i]".[/quote]
I just reread the passage, I wanted it to be the next stage in her trianing but for some reason i thought the blind candle guy was super old, but i saw he was the youngest acolyte so that changes thing =D

[quote name='Andhaira' post='1510903' date='Sep 9 2008, 11.12']Also the spoiler Prologue chapter from ADwD teells us more about how animals may react in a situation like this.[/quote]

I've seen a lot of people refer to these apparent spoilers; can you please direct me to whatever forum I can read them in? Thanks! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
Isn't Nymeria's wolf pack roaming around the area where Brienne is getting hung?

I'd really hate for Nymeria to shoot out of the shadows and bite thru Brienne's noose, but maybe if they do come upon the BwB then Lem and Company will be forced to cut loose brienne, pod, and that other guy. (can't think of his name).

I really do wonder what role Nymeria will play.
I always understood the story of Nymeria to be foreshadowing of Dany's return to Westeros, but I don't know what Arya's Nymeria will do, other then possibly fight some Others, after they get past the Wall.
And that sounds WAY too pointless to me.

Archived