NFL Week 2

Ser Paladin

Other thread closing in on 400, might as well start a new one now that Monday Night is in the books.

[u]Interesting games this week, across the board:[/u]

Giants, Saints, Titans and Cardinals all get cupcakes this week to potentially start 2-0.

The undefeated Buffalo Bills (??) against the reeling, injured Jaguars.

Winless Chargers at Mile High.

Rolling Steelers against upstart Browns

and Indy at Minnesota, as both teams try to redeem after week 1.

[u]And the big games:[/u]

Pats without Brady vs. Jets with Favre, for first in the AFC East.

And my own personal top of the card, [b]Eagles - Dallas[/b], Monday Night!

Who cares about those games?

The game of the week is the Bengals vs the Vince Young-less Titans. A great defense against a terrible offense and a terrible defense against a great running game.

Fantastic matchup!

In all seriousness though, I haven't really looked at this upcoming week's matchups yet to have any real opinions. I guess I should get on that.

As for the Pats, I am expecting a more 2001 feel to the offense. Cassell is not going to throw it 50 times a game. I do expect the Pats D to show up big. This will be the first real test of that secondary. Favre will go pass happy, I am hoping for some big INTs.

The next most interesting game is the Chargers / Broncos game. Cutler looked REAL good last night. I know it was just against the Raiders, but he has that "Brady-esque" quality about him. That Denver team is young and hungry. Chargers may just start 0-2 (again?)

Finally, the Eagles / Dallas game will most likely be another one of those NFC East slugfests. I have a rule when trying to figure out those games. NEVER expect one team to dominate...even if it looks like one should.

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1510922' date='Sep 9 2008, 11.28']Giants, Saints, Titans and Cardinals all get cupcakes this week to potentially start 2-0.[/quote]

I ain't ready to call the Redskins cupcakes just yet. Neither is Vegas. The Saints-Redskins line is a near pick 'em.

[quote]And my own personal top of the card, [b]Eagles - Dallas[/b], Monday Night![/quote]

Game of the week, definitely.

Now that there's doubt involved, NE-NYJ becomes an intriguing matchup. But think Minnesota-Indianapolis is more important because one of those teams is coming out 0-2.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1510939' date='Sep 9 2008, 11.36']As for the Pats, I am expecting a more 2001 feel to the offense. Cassell is not going to throw it 50 times a game. I do expect the Pats D to show up big. This will be the first real test of that secondary. Favre will go pass happy, I am hoping for some big INTs.

The next most interesting game is the Chargers / Broncos game. Cutler looked REAL good last night. [b]I know it was just against the Raiders[/b], but he has that "Brady-esque" quality about him. That Denver team is young and hungry. Chargers may just start 0-2 (again?)[/quote]
Raiders biggest team strength is supposed to be their secondary/ passing D, but Cutler just plain looked good. I don't think the Chargers talent adds up to an 0-2 team, but choking one away against the Panthers (without Steve Smith), and then going to Mile High, I think it's a rough start for the bolts.

Barring my Eagles fandom, the Pats game holds a lot of interest. Shame the NFL decided my AFC home team is the Ravens, not the Jets anymore (I'm roughly equidistant). Not sure I'll get the Jets/ Pats on CBS, might be suffering through Ravens-Texans. Yuck.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1510950' date='Sep 9 2008, 11.41']I ain't ready to call the Redskins cupcakes just yet. Neither is Vegas. The Saints-Redskins line is a near pick 'em.[/quote]
It's in DC. On a neutral field, Saints would be favored by, what, 3 and a half, I think.

Not a blowout in the making, but the Saints should likely be in control.

Just read that Jeff Fisher called the police last night, asking them to [url="http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909010"]check up on Vince Young[/url]. Because he and Young's friends were concerned about his mental well-being and feared for his safety.

[quote]According to police, Young left his home abruptly Monday night and sped off without his cell phone. A person at Young’s home contacted Fisher, who then contacted police.

After Young eventually made contact with Fisher several hours later, he was told he needed to meet with police.

Young had a handgun in the glove compartment of his vehicle, but it was not loaded and Aaron said officers had no concerns about Young trying to harm himself.[/quote]

The Titans statement -

[quote]“Last night, we received a call from people that are closest to Vince informing us that he had left his house in a state of mind that had them concerned; and that he was unreachable, having left his cell phone at the house. Not having all the facts available to us and approaching the matter prudently, we contacted Metro Police to make them aware of the situation and asked for their assistance in locating Vince. He was located at a friend’s house, where we made contact with him. He then came to the practice facility where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident.”[/quote]

[quote]As a team they will rally. BB Will scheme the Hell out of the D. Do they still have the horses in the secondary and can the linebackers hold up all season? We'll see but I'd tale their D line any day. I think on offense they will have to rely on Moss remaning patient with Cassell, the run game, and playing old Pats football of field position and field goals.[/quote]

The only trouble I see with this analysis is that the playbook is not designed like it was back in 2001, and they have far better players in the supporting offensive cast then they did in 2001. While I can see a upswing on screens, and dump off's to Faulk and Jordan, I dont know if I see them not throwing 20-50 yard bombs to Moss on a pretty regular basis. Basically, I dont see them really drastically changing the playbook at this late date.

I expect great things from the D this year, I really do, and they will only get better and better as the year goes on. They are starting a probowl cb who signed a week ago, and a rookie LB in one of the most complex D's in the league. With the D line fully healthy for the first time in a couple of years, with Mayo picking up more and more of the system, and the DB's all getting on the same page, with AD moved back to his natural OLB position opposite Vrabel, this could be deadly.

I almost feel sorry for Farve. Almost.

Anybody know how bad Joseph Addai is hurt? He's listed as probable, and Dungy says he expects him to play, but if it's worse than that, could be trouble for the Colts, who need to ease Manning back in a little. I know he went out of the game for a while the other day.

[quote name='Bormon' post='1511217' date='Sep 9 2008, 12.31']What do you guys think of Eddie Royal? He was impressive last night, but I wonder how much his numbers will go down once Marshall comes back?[/quote]

He will most likely end up their number 2 receiver. I think his numbers go down some but I do think he has the potential for some big nights. I mean, he looked positively nasty in some of his moves and ability to get open. On top of that, they moved him around a lot, from flanker, to slot, threw him in motion to generate matchups and all that. I think they can do that even with Marshall.

I like him based on what I've seen from this game and the preseason.

[quote name='Whiskeyjack' post='1510981' date='Sep 9 2008, 11.54']Just read that Jeff Fisher called the police last night, asking them to [url="http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS01/80909010"]check up on Vince Young[/url]. Because he and Young's friends were concerned about his mental well-being and feared for his safety.[/quote]

I was going to mention this as well. When you hear some of the rumors like the one where he considered retiring during his rookie year and now this, it really makes you wonder if maybe he doesn't have some sort of mental instability. It makes me wonder just how far you can go with things like this. When critiquing someone's play and confidence on the field, should you consider if they have a mental problem? What if its not an organic problem, but he just doesn't have the coping mechanisms to take the pressure? Does that make a difference? Its an interesting question.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1511221' date='Sep 9 2008, 13.33']He will most likely end up their number 2 receiver. I think his numbers go down some but I do think he has the potential for some big nights.[/quote]
Between Marshall, Royal and Scheffler, I thought the Broncos passing game had the opportunity to excel this season. After last night, I think they might be top-5 when Marshall is in the game.

So, this year, Royal's upside could be as high as say, Reggie Wayne when he was the #2 to Harrison, and his floor is certainly north of most of the #2 WRs in the NFL.

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1511250' date='Sep 9 2008, 13.47']Between Marshall, Royal and Scheffler, I thought the Broncos passing game had the opportunity to excel this season. After last night, I think they might be top-5 when Marshall is in the game.[/quote]

It's hard to judge the Broncos after playing a team with no discernible pass rush. But Eddie Royal and Cutler did look fantastic.

Let's see:

[u]Teams that will have better passing games than the Broncos in 2008[/u]
1) Indy - Yes.
2) Dallas - Yes.
3) Cincinnati - Didn't look it week one. Offensive line and Ocho Cinco issues probably mean they won't be as explosive as the Broncos.
4) Cleveland - Yes.
5) New Orleans - Yes.
5) Philly - I say yes.
6) Pittsburgh - Holmes, Ward, Miller, Roethlisberger. Maybe.
7) NE? - With Cassel, I say no.
8) GB? - I say no.
9) NYG - Not enough help for Plaxico.

So yeah, think they'll probably be right there hovering around the top 5.

Saw this linked on the Pats site:

[url="http://www.nypost.com/seven/09092008/sports/jets/mangini__hold_the_cartwheels_128219.htm"]Hold the Cart Wheels[/url]

[quote]For example, Jets right guard Brandon MooreBrandon Moore called it "laughable" to think that the loss of Brady would doom the Patriots.

"To say that team is done and it opens things up [for us] because Brady is down is not right," Moore said. "He didn't make that team. That team made that team. There's still going to be a big battle in the AFC East."[/quote]

[quote]Mangini was an assistant coach with the Patriots in 2001 when Jets linebacker Mo Lewis knocked incumbent quarterback Drew Bledsoe out for the season, forcing Belichick to call on a little-known sixth-round draft pick named Tom Brady.

So he's seen Belichick adjust on the fly pretty well.

Now the question is, did Belichick develop Brady into the great quarterback he is today or was he simply someone with dumb luck?

"Tom is a great player and you cannot underestimate the impact he has, but New England is an outstanding team in a lot of different areas," Mangini said. "Being a part of New England and having spent a lot of seasons there where there were injuries to key players, one of the things Bill has been able to do is create a plan to win that week and overcome those problems.

"When I was there, we went through several different injury scenarios and we consistently found a way to win. It comes from outstanding coaching and the ability to overcome adversity."[/quote]

I expect the pats to win this weekend. if they don't they are in some serious trouble. Favre is still getting used to the offense. Just because he had a good outing against the dolphines does not mean he's ready to face a defense like NE's in the Jet's system. I am a Favre admirer but having watched him play for all his time in green bay I suspect that, unless the Jets can get a running game going, that he will start trying to force things and get eaten alive. Then again he is Farve and he has proven time and again that he can pull the unexpected off. I would still heavily favour the Pats though.

Dallas at Philly is the most interesting game to me this week. Both teams had really impressive outings. We will learn a lot about both clubs from this game. Like MN-GB this past weekend this is about as big as an early season game can get.

Green Bay goes to Detroit. Shouldn't be close. If they can cut down on the penalties they really should eat detroit alive and get Rodgers another W under his belt before they have to go back to facing NFL level competition.

Lots of teams to watch as well to see how they respond to surprising losses this past week, particularily San Diego and Indy.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1511298' date='Sep 9 2008, 14.23'][u]Teams that will have better passing games than the Broncos in 2008[/u]
1) Indy - Yes.
2) Dallas - Yes.
3) Cincinnati - Didn't look it week one. Offensive line and Ocho Cinco issues probably mean they won't be as explosive as the Broncos.
4) Cleveland - Yes.
5) New Orleans - Yes.
5) Philly - I say yes.
6) Pittsburgh - Holmes, Ward, Miller, Roethlisberger. Maybe.
7) NE? - With Cassel, I say no.
8) GB? - I say no.
9) NYG - Not enough help for Plaxico.

So yeah, think they'll probably be right there hovering around the top 5.[/quote]
Indy, Dallas and New Orleans are the only "locks" for top 5 passing games (barring injury). Patriots were likely in that group before Brady's injury.

Philly and Pittsburgh are that next group, but both Westbrook and Parker's competence, and team commitments to defense, should prevent them from overtaking the top 3. Denver is in here with the Eagles and Steelers.

If the Browns are in the top 5, it's because they are playing from behind all season, or the running game sputtered. Certainly possible, but ot for the right reasons.

Packers & Giants will be balanced. The Bengals looked like a train wreck, can't pick them for much at all.

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1511391' date='Sep 9 2008, 15.04']Packers & Giants will be balanced. The Bengals looked like a train wreck, can't pick them for much at all.[/quote]

They did, but they also looked like a train wreck against Baltimore. That defense is just plain sick. I was at the game. They were doing shit that the Bengals have never seen before like clipping WRs with linebackers to throw them off their routes and lining up D-Lineman as LBs. It was absolutely ridiculous the things that Rex Ryan designed for that game.

I'm as down as anyone on the Bengals but I do think that they'll bounce back to at least have a serviceable offense. I doubt it'll be top 5 though. The potential is there but with the schedule they have and their meh defense, it's likely going to turn the team predictable again.

I really didn't think the Steelers would look as good as they did... and all of the other favorites in the AFC would either suffer devastating injuries (NE, Jacksonville, etc.) or just come out looking shitty.

Then again, this is just week one. If we come out with wins against Philly and the Jags... look out.

Archived