Jaime's presense in front of Rhaella's door

Anath

We know that every detail in Martin's books is thought over, so why did he send Jaime on guard in front of Queen Rhaella's door in the night Dany was conceived? It must mean something for Jaime and Dany's future, but what is it?

[quote name='Anath' post='1518738' date='Sep 15 2008, 11.30']We know that every detail in Martin's books is thought over, so why did he send Jaime on guard in front of Queen Rhaella's door in the night Dany was conceived? It must mean something for Jame and Dany's future, but what is it?[/quote]

I think it was more to draw the reader's to jaime's side of thinking, to show the shades of grey in his character rather then the black we were reading before we had his POV.

I agree with the other replies; it was probably to show how conflicted Jaime was about being in the KG and the orders he had to follow (after that night, Rhaella was in a pretty bad state, and Jaime asked Hightower- I think- if they shouldn't have protected her, to which Gerold replies 'not from the King) than some huge foreshadowing of any possible meeting with Dany.

I think it was also to show how much of a psycho Cersei was and how much of Aerys Jaime saw in her (excited by wildfire, generally batshit insane).

[quote name='Brady' post='1519591' date='Sep 16 2008, 02.48']I think it was also to show that even the 'great and honorable' Kingsguard of Aerys day could overlook some pretty hideous things in the course of their duty.[/quote]

Yes, yes they did. Aerys wasa fucking nutjob; just look what he did to the starks! He cooked Rcikard ALIVE in front of his son who was strangled ALIVE! Rhaegar was pretty useless and unethical as well due to many, many reasons.

Anyhow, where does it say Rhaella was impregnated by Dany that night?

[quote name='Scafloc' post='1519778' date='Sep 16 2008, 07.49']Daenerys could have been conceived a day earlier[/quote]

I'd have to look up the exact reference, but iirc we are told Aerys seldom gets "aroused" except when he burns someone. He burns his old Hand and then visits Rhaella. Is it possible that he did this more than once? I guess, but given his extreme reaction in his brutality to towards his sister/wife I doubt this is a frequent occurrence. She wouldn't be alive if it was.

[quote name='Andhaira' post='1519656' date='Sep 16 2008, 05.57']Yes, yes they did. Aerys wasa fucking nutjob; just look what he did to the starks! He cooked Rcikard ALIVE in front of his son who was strangled ALIVE! Rhaegar was pretty useless and unethical as well due to many, many reasons.

Anyhow, where does it say Rhaella was impregnated by Dany that night?[/quote]

XDDDDDDDD I know what you meant, but oh man. Bad images. *wonders if she used a turkey baster*

[quote name='Anath' post='1518738' date='Sep 15 2008, 11.30']We know that every detail in Martin's books is thought over, so why did he send Jaime on guard in front of Queen Rhaella's door in the night Dany was conceived? It must mean something for Jaime and Dany's future, but what is it?[/quote]
Understanding. Remember Dany tells Barristan she wishes to know the whole truth about her father just not yet. So after he reveals what he knows she sees her father's descent into insanity. Then comes the Jaime confrontation where he explains the events he confided in Brienne. Know she sees the monster under the crown. Sadly she cannot forgive him for breaking his vows and killing the king in the same sense she cannot restore his honor. How can she forgive what does not need forgiving? How can she return what was never lost? He vows to protect the king and he does. The King only needed protection from himself and the only way he could get it was with the loss of his life. This is just the road I would like to see it travel though and with Martin who knows?

I think the whole recollection of it from Jaime's POV, was just to further solidify that Jaime ain't really a bad guy, and that he killed his king for a good reason.

tho I don't think he'll ever justify pushing Bran out of a window, beyond the 'under Cersei's influence' deal, which she was even against, surprisingly.

unless of course his hand was forced subconsciously by a greater entity or force, like a god, as if it was fated, to progress bran's character.

[quote name='kuraz' post='1522704' date='Sep 18 2008, 05.35']Jaime ain't really a bad guy,[/quote]

I love Jaime as a character, but even he doesn't agree with this. He states repeatedly that he has done horrible things. He acknowledges the irony that everyone hates him for doing a noble thing despite this.

[quote name='Lampmonster' post='1525435' date='Sep 21 2008, 00.33']I love Jaime as a character, but even he doesn't agree with this. He states repeatedly that he has done horrible things. He acknowledges the irony that everyone hates him for doing a noble thing despite this.[/quote]

I think that Jaime is inherently good, but has been so constantly told that he is bad, that he ends up just doing bad things almost self-fulfillingly. It's like he gave up after Aerys trying to be good, but in the end his instinct is to protect the ones he loves, which I think is good.

Archived