HEROES

Jed o' Tarth

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1525003' date='Sep 19 2008, 17.08']Really LP? I would think Stan Lee would be even more pissed and Jack Kirby probably rolled over in his grave a few times. It wouldn't surprise me if the villains in part 3 form a "Brotherhood" in part 4.[/quote]

GRRM (or one of the other WC Panelists) brought it up during the WC panel and the Denver con. They had shopped WC in Hollywood and it was no go. Then Heroes comes along. It is just different enough I guess that they really can't say it is the same-the basic premise of normal people being able to do extraordinay things is the same. In Heroes it's evolution and in WC it was an alien virus that mutates a particular cell of the recipient. I mean-sure, they are all like comics at the end of the day-but there are glaring similarities between Heroes and WC that pop out at you when you see them. I'd really like to see where Kring says his 'inspiration' for the series was from.

I highly recommend WC #1. It's a bit dated, but if you can see thru that - there are some very cool, and very adult 'Aces' (or heroes) that are worth the read. There are plenty of used copies out there and they are not very expensive.

I did like the first season of Heroes... but S2 was trying at times to get thru-and VERY predictable (sorry if mentioned before, I didn't read all the posts up thread).

:)

I'm not sure I really care anymore. It's not like Season 2 was just kind of bad, it was really, [i]really[/i] bad. Just a short list of things that blew:

1) Hiro in Japan. Only surpassed in lameness by the "Ando reads Hiro in Japan off of old scrolls", which compounded how boring and stupid the actual plot was by adding yet more superfluous scenes.

2) The wonder twins. Boring all season, then died. Great!

3) Claire in high school redux: Claire saves the world, then goes back to battling bitchy cheerleaders. Awesome!

4) Robot-Alien boy. The fact that Claire had more believable chemistry with her fucking uncle than this clown should say it all.

5) Peter the Irish Gangster. Does anyone else remember the "what's in the box?" trailers? Yeah, I do too.

6) Magic healing blood. 'Nuff said.

7) Monhinder. Ok, so this was a problem with season one, too, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

8) Stereotypesville, NO. Also involved Micah, so this storyline loses double points.

9) Product placement. "Oh Daddy, I get the Rouge???" For some reason, I found this even more obnoxious than Hiro screaming "Nissan VERSA, Nissan VERSA!" last season.

10) Mohinder.

11) HRG's job. It's not entirely clear why exactly he has one, and I guess the writers agree, because halfway through the season it's never heard from again.

Last thing, Peter absolutely needs to die. He's just way, WAY too powerful, the only choice the writers have is to write irrelevant plots for him (e.g., Ireland) or just have him be a complete idiot. Multiple people tell him Adam is lying, and it never occurs to him to like, use those mind reading powers....why?

[quote name='Ser Lucky Pierre' post='1525033' date='Sep 19 2008, 15.50']GRRM (or one of the other WC Panelists) brought it up during the WC panel and the Denver con. They had shopped WC in Hollywood and it was no go. Then Heroes comes along. It is just different enough I guess that they really can't say it is the same-the basic premise of normal people being able to do extraordinay things is the same. In Heroes it's evolution and in WC it was an alien virus that mutates a particular cell of the recipient. I mean-sure, they are all like comics at the end of the day-but there are glaring similarities between Heroes and WC that pop out at you when you see them. I'd really like to see where Kring says his 'inspiration' for the series was from.

I highly recommend WC #1. It's a bit dated, but if you can see thru that - there are some very cool, and very adult 'Aces' (or heroes) that are worth the read. There are plenty of used copies out there and they are not very expensive.

I did like the first season of Heroes... but S2 was trying at times to get thru-and VERY predictable (sorry if mentioned before, I didn't read all the posts up thread).

:)[/quote]

What if Kring said his inspiration came from Marvel's New Universe? It was published a year before Wild Cards, and it's premise was [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Universe#Premise"]"What would happen if normal people became superhuman overnight?"[/url]

I think GRRM is a cool guy and writes some kickass books, but he and the [i]Wild Cards[/i] creators don't have the license on the normal people become superheroes genre. I don't think they have any right to be pissed that their show didn't get picked up when something similar did (in an [i]extremely[/i] common vein of superhero creation), especially when the show that is picked up very closely resembles X-men which much before [i]Wild Cards[/i] and has previously been successful in Hollywood.

I really think this show has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Too many of us are fans of various incarnations of the same kinds of stories: X-Men, New Universe, Wild Cards, etc. etc. etc. It lends itself to a certain degree of expectations.

As a result, I just divorce myself and take the show for what it is and try to not compare it to anything else.

[quote name='IseultoftheWhiteHands' post='1524808' date='Sep 19 2008, 15.17']Keep checking in at [url="http://www.nbc.com/Video/preview/"]http://www.nbc.com/Video/preview/[/url]

They have full episode "previews" up for view- like the season premier episodes of Life and Lipstick Jungle! They just may add Heroes as it gets closer to the premier date. Also on the NBC site you can see all of the Heroes webisodes.

You can also see Heroes episodes, webisodes and clips for free at [url="http://www.hulu.com/heroes"]http://www.hulu.com/heroes[/url][/quote]

A warning: all that is strictly reserved for Americans. Dirty foreigners need not apply. I can still remember the first time I went to NBC's website, all fired up to see extra Heroes videos... only to be told, after an ad, that the requested video was not available in my country or similar crap. Fuck you, NBC.

I imagine that I have only seen the first season of Heroes and perhaps a bit of the second, but what pisses me off is: how many times will Sylar be very close to death, only to improbably survive? How stupid is the sinister organization anyway? Why are they capturing him alive time after time, just so that he can escape and kill some more of them? Couldn't the writers have come up with another villain after he was supposedly disposed of? Sylar's and Peter's "deaths" were awesome - only why, oh why weren't they actual _deaths_?

I think GRRM was also shopping [b]Wild Cards[/b] around in the 1980s and 1990s before the current explosion in comic book movies began. I put NBC's willingness to do [b]Heroes[/b] more down to the massive success of the [b]X-Men[/b] and [b]Spider-Men[/b] movies beforehand and their desire to have an original, owned property that they didn't need to pay out money for a licence for.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if another network actually got interested in [b]Wild Cards[/b] as a potential rival to [b]Heroes[/b]. They could then say, "Oh yeah, George and Melinda sent us this script like 10 years ago, it has absolutely nothing to do with [b]Heroes[/b], that's just coincidental timing, we've been thinking about it seriously all this time and wanted to do it right. Honest guv." :D

[quote name='SquireThomas' post='1525039' date='Sep 19 2008, 17.00']I'm not sure I really care anymore. It's not like Season 2 was just kind of bad, it was really, [i]really[/i] bad. Just a short list of things that blew:

1) Hiro in Japan. Only surpassed in lameness by the "Ando reads Hiro in Japan off of old scrolls", which compounded how boring and stupid the actual plot was by adding yet more superfluous scenes.

2) The wonder twins. Boring all season, then died. Great!

3) Claire in high school redux: Claire saves the world, then goes back to battling bitchy cheerleaders. Awesome!

4) Robot-Alien boy. The fact that Claire had more believable chemistry with her fucking uncle than this clown should say it all.

5) Peter the Irish Gangster. Does anyone else remember the "what's in the box?" trailers? Yeah, I do too.

6) Magic healing blood. 'Nuff said.

7) Monhinder. Ok, so this was a problem with season one, too, but it's worth mentioning anyway.

8) Stereotypesville, NO. Also involved Micah, so this storyline loses double points.

9) Product placement. "Oh Daddy, I get the Rouge???" For some reason, I found this even more obnoxious than Hiro screaming "Nissan VERSA, Nissan VERSA!" last season.

10) Mohinder.

11) HRG's job. It's not entirely clear why exactly he has one, and I guess the writers agree, because halfway through the season it's never heard from again.

Last thing, Peter absolutely needs to die. He's just way, WAY too powerful, the only choice the writers have is to write irrelevant plots for him (e.g., Ireland) or just have him be a complete idiot. Multiple people tell him Adam is lying, and it never occurs to him to like, use those mind reading powers....why?[/quote]

I don't think you mentioned Mohinder enough. Really, I hate that fucking waste of space. Last year every single plot line but Hiro's involved people doing incredibly stupid shit to keep the plot going forward; Mohinder and emo-Peter were the worst offenders, though I'm also one of those people that prayed for a lingering painful death for the Guatemalan siblings. The kind of death that I would normally reserve for Jar-Jar Binks. And did I mention Mohinder sucks.

Needless to say, this show is on a really short leash with me after last season. I was plenty pissed at the lame ending of season one but watched it again because my wife said "please, it's one of the only shows we watched together" and soon she was rooting for the Guatemalans to die in agony. She's only interested now because Peter and Nathan act like they're boinking each other.

[quote name='Dagger' post='1525782' date='Sep 20 2008, 22.09']The kind of death that I would normally reserve for Jar-Jar Binks.[/quote]
I draw the line here. There is nobody, in the real or fictional world, that is more deserving of a painful, lingering death than Jar-Jar Binks.

Anybody else catch the red-carpet pre-show they had on last night? It was driving us crazy, because they kept saying "stay tuned for the new season starting in just a few minutes!!!!" They kept trying to make it seem like it was live, but the show doesn't start until tonight.

The clips they showed for the new season weren't really all the great. We'll still watch tonight, but I'm not holding out too much hope that this season will be any better than last season. I'm pretty much watching just for Hiro.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1525397' date='Sep 20 2008, 08.09']A warning: all that is strictly reserved for Americans. Dirty foreigners need not apply. I can still remember the first time I went to NBC's website, all fired up to see extra Heroes videos... only to be told, after an ad, that the requested video was not available in my country or similar crap. Fuck you, NBC.[/quote]

What can I say? Membership has it's priviledges!

[quote name='Krafus' post='1525397' date='Sep 20 2008, 10.09']A warning: all that is strictly reserved for Americans. Dirty foreigners need not apply. I can still remember the first time I went to NBC's website, all fired up to see extra Heroes videos... only to be told, after an ad, that the requested video was not available in my country or similar crap. Fuck you, NBC.[/quote]

Try it on Global. I know you can watch some shows on there. CTV has some shows too.

"You're special, Claire. You can't die. Unlike Nathan Petrelli, Noah Bennett, Linderman, Nikki Sanders, Peter Petrelli, me after the season one cliffhanger, and anybody else who has access to your magical healing blood as well as any interesting guest stars that Tim Kring'd like to bring back for sweeps, you cannot be killed."

Ok, so I usually never understand why most people trash on shows. I usually like alot. Just recently, for example, True Blood. While many on the board haven't said its aweful, they have pointed out a bunch of flaws that I don't see. However, after watching that two hour waste of time, I realize why I lost faith in Heroes last season. There is absolutely no continuity. No one can die. Everyone who died in these episodes, aren't really dead, they're just gone for now. Season three could have had so much potential with the end of season two. Instead, hey omg it was really Peter from the future :bang: Gimme a break. So now there's what, 2 invincible villains who can't seem to rule/ destroy the world. It was bad when they decided to rip off the classic film series Highlander with Adam's character, but enough is friggin enough. Oh yeah, now they have Magneto too. I guess it just pisses me off because of Season 1's greatness and the potential that is clearly being wasted and squandered. :ack: :bs:

Archived