Westeros: Total War Beta v0.5 (Updated with Bug Fix)

aeoleron9

[img]http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3256/titleoz9.jpg[/img]

[b][size="2"]Update:
A temporary fix for an assassin bug. Download the attachment [url="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3709963#post3709963"]here[/url] and put it into Medieval II Total War\Westeros\data\ , say yes to rewrite.

The fix will only affect newly recruited assassins, so if you already got an assassin in your current game, you'll have to find a way to get rid of him first. If possible, going back to an earlier save would be best. Or, if you know how to use the console, you can select the assassin, bring up the console and type in "remove_trait this" without the brackets. You should be able to move him around freely the next turn.[/size][/b]

Westeros: Total War Beta v0.5

Introduction:

Westeros: Total War is a modification for Medieval 2 Total War. It is based on the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (ASoIaF) novels by George R.R. Martin.

This is a beta release, which means unfortunately not everything is entirely polished. We recommend playing the factions that are fully skinned for the best experience: House Stark, Joffrey and Tully. The other houses are of course still playable, but keep in mind that they have not been polished yet.

We have rooted out quite a few bugs during our testing, and the current build appear to be quite bug-free. However, if you followed all the installation steps and still encounter any bugs or CTDs, go to Medieval II Total War/logs and post the error log in the bug reporting thread, either by attaching the entire file or copying it in spoiler tags.

Any gameplay and balance suggestions are of course welcome. We have much room for improvement

Installation Steps:

1. Make sure you haven't changed anything in your vanilla directory(any mods that aren't exclusive in mod folders for example), cause that might conflict with this mod. This mod only work with patch 1.2/1.3. Kingdoms is compatible but not necessary.

2. Download the mod here:
[url="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=256115"]Total War forums[/url]

3. Extract it into your Medieval2 folder. There should now be a Westeros Total War 0.5 BETA folder in your game folder.

4. If you unpacked M2TW, you need to backup some files in Medieval II Total War\data\, find and copy these folders to somewhere safe: banners, model_strat and ui. You'll need these when you want to play vanilla/other mods, or uninstall this mod.

5. Move the contents inside folder Westeros Total War 0.5 BETA and paste them directly in the game folder. You should now have a Westeros folder, Westeros.bat and Westeros.cfg

6. Install the 0.51 patch from Gampie's thread, then DL the attached file in [url="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193962"]this post[/url] and put it in \Medieval II Total War\Westeros\data\ , say yes to rewrite.

7. Play the mod by opening the Westeros.bat

Mod Features:

New graphics and banners for all Westerosi families
Three fully skinned factions: Stark, Tully and Joffrey
Detailed campaign map of Westeros

Long summers and vicious winters, with proper aging(courtesy of GrnEyedDvl)
Garrison Script for Dorne
Foreign faction leader death notifications(courtesy of Blood Broads Bastards)
Outriders that can steal enemy supplies
Assassin Hiring
Claiming Kingship
Various optional events(inspired by Anno Domini)

Bloodline traits for all major families(courtesy of BBB)
Completely new Westerosi Ancillaries
Office ancillaries for noble houses and Kings(inspired by BBB)
Heraldic ancillaries(inspired by BBB)

Campaign AI by Lusted
Westerosi Guilds, including assassins, alchemists and Faith Militants. Not perfected though, purchase with caution.

Balanced buildings
Balanced battles(courtesy of RealCombat)
Balanced recruitment rates
Balanced Agents
Balanced Victory Conditions for noble Lords and Kings

...and many more!

Gameplay Readme and Advice:
[b]SPOILER:[/b] spoilers alert
Managing your family:
With the bloodline traits, you can keep track of your entire noble family with ease. However, it is easy for small families like Arryn or Stannis to dwindle and die off. The tip to keep your blood pure is obviously, never adopt. Also, some factions start off with no heir, so some generals are designated as heir. However, once you raised your own garden(as Lord Tywin puts it) you know what must be done to secure the throne for your own kin.

Managing armies and battles:
If you don't have experience with RealCombat, it's a unit balancing mod that emphasizes the importance of armored units. In vanilla, armor-clad knights die as easily as lowly peasants wearing boiled leather. In RC, a well-trained armored unit can stand up to peasants three times its number, and only be worn down by fatigue. Have no fear of imba however, for a well aimed cavalry can spell doom to the best armored knights on foot. But lowly spear-wielding peasants can slow down an armored charge long enough to bring your own forces to bear. In short, RC achived a much more tactical-inclined balance than vanilla. Combined-arms stacks are highly encouraged, and you could decide between expensive, hard to replenish elites vs commoner levies that are cheap and easy to mass.

Heraldic Ancillaries:
Most settlements have a heraldic anc which generals can acquire by staying in the twon for one turn. For example, If you conquer Harrenhal and sit Ser Gregor inside, he'll be granted the title Lord of Harrenhal as an ancillary. The only exception are the capital settlements of each family, whose heraldry is automatically granted to the current faction leader. For example, if Tywin dies and Kevan becomes lead, he'll be automatically granted the Lord of Casterly Rock, without having to stay there one turn.

Office Ancillaries:
Each noble house have two basic offices to grant to generals or family members: Castellan and Master of Horse. Each King have the right to grant several additional offices to serve as his council: Hand of King, Master of Coin, Master of Ship, and Master of Law. Here's how you acquire these offices: (All of them require your general to stay inside a settlement)

Castellan: Stay in Capital, have more than 4 loyalty
Master of Horse: Train cavalry
Hand: have more than 2 authority
Law: Keep your townsfolks happy
Coin: Tax your town
Ship: Build a ship

Crowns and Ancillaries in general
Watch out how many ancs your faction lead has when he claims king. The max number of ancs per general is eight, so if he already has eight ancs, he won't get a crown. Some ancillaries are transferrable, such as offices and heraldries, you could keep a few on your heirs and leaders to save spare ancillary space.

Regarding the advisor optional events:
Don't save in the middle of one, it won't pop up again when you reload.

Regarding Assassins:
Watch out where you're standing when you're spawning anything(assassins usually), keep the space around your capital's ports clear or you will be declined by the guilds.

If you have any more questions regarding gameplay, I'll add stuff to this section later.

Team and Contribution:

Gampie (mapping, coding, banners)
LordSnow (skinning, 2D art)
TheKingSlayer (flavour text writer)
Daedalus V2.0 (flavour text writer)
BattleDrumz (skinning, 2D art)
stormbringer951 (flavour text writer, testing)
aeoleron9 (coding, ancillaries and traits)

Special thanks and Credits:

Marcus, who was leader on the previous Westeros mod project
GrnEyedDvl, for his continuous support on the scripting front
Lusted, for his brilliant AI
Blood, Broads and Bastards
Anno Domini
RealCombat

portraits: Amok, Collectible Card Game of FantasyFlightGames
banners: Stig Greve, Amok, Virginia Norey
loading screens: Morano
ancillaries art: CCG, Amok

:)

I'm downloading now, gonna have to reinstall MTW.

As it's a beta, would you like us to keep an eye out for everything and report it somewhere? Or have I misunderstood the whole beta concept... :P

Only played it for a little bit, but very impressive.

So far the only things I have noticed is that on the faction selection screen the map is still the M2TW map, and I keep getting informed a settlement is ready for upgrade, even though that is not an option.

Thanks for all the work you guys have put into this!

Interestingly, this news came just after I installed Stainless Steel. Is the Westeros mod compatible with Stainless Steel? And Kingdoms 1.5?

And if you haven't unpacked the files, presumably it's not a problem? You can just install and uninstall the mod with no issue?

I got this working (although I don't have a clue how I'm gonna uninstall it when I want to play SS again). I've tried out most of the factions a little, and Tullys, Starks, and Tyrells seem the best so far of the factions in their current states (Lannisters will probably join the above list when I try them). Arryns are okay. I hope that the Martells are just quite unfinished. And are there going to be that many pavise x-bows in the final release, or are they just placeholders? Also, I think that White Harbor should have silver mines (I'm pretty sure it doesn't at the moment).

Best moment was white playing as Tullys and sieging Golden Tooth with a full army commanded by the Blackfish. The Lannisters charged my lines repeatedly, and killed many of my spearmen and most of my cavalry, but in the end they were close to defeat. Then Jaime Lannister's unit of 8 bodyguards charges Brynden's 23 bodyguards. Soon it was 20 men vs Jaime. He killed 6 bodyguards by himself before he fell-now that's pretty realistic for him, I think.

Next best moment was fighting a bridge battle for King's Landing, and decimating a small army of Joffrey's men with Knights of Highgarden.

Just finished spending half a day testing this out. It is definitely on the right track, but also definitely unfinished.
My first game was as Stark, mostly just to examine what the mod had to offer, and to check out the traits and ancillaries.
After that, I played Joffrey, which is a very fun faction. Sandor Clegane became a [i]very[/i] good general and acquired Oathkeeper, then was adopted as Joffrey's son. I then sent Joffrey and Tommen on suicide missions to begin the reign of King Sandor the Scarred! :D
After that, I played as my favorite faction from the books-- team Greyjoy. This was a very bad ass round of play. I began with an immediate invasion of Lannister lands, where Theon was killed in one-on-one combat with the Kingslayer, who was eventually taken hostage, and sold for a hefty ransom. In another battle, Tywin was caught with his guard down, but I only managed to kill him after he slew about 25 of my Raiders, alone. I think some of the Tyrell soldiers are a little bit overpowered, though. I often found myself losing battles against armies 1/2 or 1/3 my size.

Anyways, I have a few questions for the modders about what will be in later releases:

1. Religion. Every region and faction is simply "The Faith". Will other religions/priest units be included? And regardless, the building where the priest units are trained needs to be changed from Church/Chapel.
2. Starting arrangement. I first noticed this when I started my Stark game. In the faction preview thread, Stark starts with large armies south at Moat Cailin. But, in the version I played, there are a few generals gathered near Winterfell, and all the settlements are just about empty. Will this be changed?
3. General's traits. I assume many of these will be changed? Tyrion started off pretty low-quality...
4. Mercenaries. Will we be seeing any of these, and if so, what types?

The mapping was absolutely beautiful, some of the best I've seen in a mod before. However, I think there is something wrong in Dorne. After a few turns, all the desert has been turned into farmland.

Anyways, this is an awesome mod, thank you very much, WTW team! :cheers:

Werthead:
It's compatible with Kingdoms. I never played SS so I'm not sure on that part, if it changed any files in the original then it might conflict.

Fat Belwas:
thanks for the compliments:) Most of the stuff you mentioned, we just didn't have time to complete. As for desert farmlands, I think that happens in the original game as well?

Archived