The NFL Thread

Young Wolf

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1529691' date='Sep 24 2008, 09.49']That's how I would rank them (maybe Tennesee as the only fly in the ointment), and I would need to hear a really good argument as to why they are not the 3 best teams in the league to convince me otherwise. They are a combined 8-1 and the only loss was to ... the Cowboys. Their competition can only be considered so much; this is not the NCAA- these guys do not get to choose who they play (at the same time, we can agree that the Cowboys' victory over the Eagles and Pack was probably more impressive than the Patriots' victories over the Chiefs and Jets).[/quote]
Oh for sure those victories are far more impressive. I was going more along the Giants being 2. Yes they are the defending Super Bowl champs as Mexal pointed out, but their win over the Redskins was not very impressive, that was just a horrible game by both teams, then the Rams... a beating of the Rams, but it was the, well, Rams. Then they barely beat the Bengals, who yes have talented players, but they have not been playing well.

The Eagles, as much as I hate to say it, are a top three team, and if the Giants continue playing like they did against the Redskins and Bengals, they have no chance against them. I can admit that I am going off of stats when it comes to the Giants, as I have watched the Eagles Cowboys, and Redskins play, and have not seen much of the rest of the NFL.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1529701' date='Sep 24 2008, 12.52']I don't think that the Giants are anywhere near the top 3. Cinci may have some good players but the Giants still looked bad on offense, Eli has some issues with getting the pass to the right person at the right time and their secondary is suspect. Cowboys I think are clearly up there. Eagles are as well. The Pack is too. I also think Tennessee is very strong.[/quote]

I honestly cannot understand this thinking. They are the Super Bowl Champs and they are undefeated. After New England almost lost to shitty Baltimore last year did you drop them down the rankings? No. Its just silly thinking. They are the Champs until someone beats them.

If I had to pick a team right now and my least favorite team would have to play them, my first five choices in order would be:

Cowboys
Eagles
Titans
Giants
Chargers

Yep - not scared a bit by the 1-2 or the dodgy defense. I think they are a better version of Denver, who, along with Green Bay and Pittsburgh, were the other teams I considered here. I do think ESPN is giving too little credit to Baltimore and Tampa Bay though. With Gruden and his QB (mediocre as he might be) on the same page, this is a team that will click.

[quote name='Zaphyl' post='1529731' date='Sep 24 2008, 12.06']Oh for sure those victories are far more impressive. I was going more along the Giants being 2. Yes they are the defending Super Bowl champs as Mexal pointed out, but their win over the Redskins was not very impressive, that was just a horrible game by both teams, then the Rams... a beating of the Rams, but it was the, well, Rams. Then they barely beat the Bengals, who yes have talented players, but they have not been playing well.

The Eagles, as much as I hate to say it, are a top three team, and if the Giants continue playing like they did against the Redskins and Bengals, they have no chance against them. I can admit that I am going off of stats when it comes to the Giants, as I have watched the Eagles Cowboys, and Redskins play, and have not seen much of the rest of the NFL.[/quote]

They are winning. It doesn't matter if they're not winning 38-0, they're still winning. They have a solid defensive line and an efficient offense. They're not giving the ball away and they're making plays when they need to make them. That's the sign of a good team. They went on a run at the end of last year playing EXACTLY like they're playing now. They're not a team that will generally blow people out. They're a team that will find ways to win and come up big in big situations. That doesn't make them any less of a good team.

I agree with Bronn when he says not enough attention is being paid to Baltimore. I don't necessarily agree with Tampa Bay though. They're a good team and could win NFC South but I don't see them as a team that can win in the playoffs. I do, however, think Baltimore, with that defense, will make people pay. That defense is scary good and they're doing things they've never done before. If their offense can put up any kind of points, they'll be in pretty much every game they play.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1529757' date='Sep 24 2008, 13.17']I honestly cannot understand this thinking. They are the Super Bowl Champs and they are undefeated.[/quote]
I'd have to check, but I think that Super Bowl win was last season. These are the 2008 rankings.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1529758' date='Sep 24 2008, 13.17']I do think ESPN is giving too little credit to Baltimore and Tampa Bay though. With Gruden and his QB (mediocre as he might be) on the same page, this is a team that will click.[/quote]

I can't in good conscience put Baltimore in the top 5 'til we know just what they have at QB. Definitely wouldn't trust Flacco in any kind of close game at this point. For that reason I'd move them behind any good team that I feel more comfortable with their QB situation.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1529790' date='Sep 24 2008, 12.34']I can't in good conscience put Baltimore in the top 5 'til we know just what they have at QB. Definitely wouldn't trust Flacco in any kind of close game at this point. For that reason I'd move them behind any good team that I feel more comfortable with their QB situation.[/quote]

I would put them in the top 15 though.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3606190"]The Rams are continuing their pursuit of addition by subtraction[/url] by cutting their starting cornerback. Its interesting watching teams go into full blown panic mode just three games into the season. Honestly, is there anyone who thought the Rams would be anything better than terribad [i]before[/i] the season started? If you weren't going to address it then... why bother now?

[quote name='Ser Paladin' post='1529774' date='Sep 24 2008, 13.22']I'd have to check, but I think that Super Bowl win was last season. These are the 2008 rankings.[/quote]

You do know they won the Super Bowl in 2008 correct?

[quote]If I had to pick a team right now and my least favorite team would have to play them, my first five choices in order would be:

Cowboys
Eagles
Titans
Giants
Chargers[/quote]

This also seems valid. We are dealing with a very small sample size here; the teams could also go south, and we have to consider their opponents (Cowboys beat the Eagles and GB; the Giants defeated Wash and the Rams). But even the opponents are hard to judge. I think we an agree that defeating the Giants in week 3 last season was a completely different thing than defeating them in week 17. Thus, I think that there really cannot be too much anger if we rank the Giants #3, #4, or #5 (or what-have-you). I do think the Giants are in teh discussion, though. They cleraly have handled the loss of Osiomora and Strahan better than the Pats have dealt with the loss of Brady (not saying they are the same, but its worth disucssing).

Who gives a shit about ESPN power rankings? Why not the Yahoo rankings or the SI rankings or my Cat's rankings. What's next? Argue over who will win this years Pro Bowl? It doesn't matter.

I understand there are some football games this week. Doesn't seem like the most exciting week (Compared to previous weeks) but there are still a few games that stand out for me:

Minnesota at Tennessee

Arizona at Brett Farve and the NY Jets

Washington at Dallas

and Game of the week -- Philadelphia at Chicago

It definitely seems as if the NFC has the more explosive teams. But it is only week 4.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1529911' date='Sep 24 2008, 14.56']Ravens/Steelers.[/quote]

That could be a good game. I havn't seen any of those teams play this year. It seems as if the Ravens defense is still elite and the Steelers O-line is having trouble. Should be interesting.

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1529910' date='Sep 24 2008, 11.55']There's also Raiders vs Chargers in which we get to see how new Raiders HC Alex Bledel matches up vs Norm Turner.[/quote]

Norval and Alexis both need to fire their PR people.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1529916' date='Sep 24 2008, 12.00']That could be a good game. I havn't seen any of those teams play this year. It seems as if the Ravens defense is still elite and the Steelers O-line is having trouble. Should be interesting.[/quote]

Will answer a few questions as well about how good the ravens actually are, and how bad that o-line actually is, and whether or not Arians is capable of making any adjustments to compensate for the stuff that got exposed against the eagles.

[quote name='Space Bandito' post='1529905' date='Sep 24 2008, 14.53']Who gives a shit about ESPN power rankings? Why not the Yahoo rankings or the SI rankings or my Cat's rankings. What's next? Argue over who will win this years Pro Bowl? It doesn't matter.[/quote]

Of course it doesn't matter what they think. But it's always interesting to see if other people's opinion of teams matches your own. See if your team is getting the respect you feel it deserves or not. This is what fans do. We only get one day a week of football, but we're thinking about it for all seven.

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1529910' date='Sep 24 2008, 14.55']There's also Raiders vs Chargers in which we get to see how new Raiders HC Alex Bledel matches up vs Norm Turner.

YW[/quote]

Not knowing a thing about Alex's playcalling tendencies or whether s/he's ever coached at any level or is even aware of the rules of football, I'm still going to have to give the edge to the Raiders on this one.

ETA - Doesn't Alexis Bledel help run a Bed and Breakfast on the show? How fitting.

Archived