The Office

Aemon Stark

[quote name='Calibandar' post='1552308' date='Oct 11 2008, 13.37']I'm only on season II but this show is a total cracker. I might try Arrested Development sometime since I sometimes hear that as far as similar comedies go, this is up there with The Office.

Anyway, excellent stuff. They've managed what seemed very hard to do, and in their own matched the brilliant, super cringeworthy UK series ( which is still a bit stronger but then again they had far fewer episodes they had to fill). I thought the Tim and Dawn romance was better there as well.[/quote]

I just tried Arrested Development through Netflix. I liked it a lot. It has a very strong quirky ensemble (for the first season at least).

[quote name='Matrim Fox Cauthon' post='1551245' date='Oct 10 2008, 14.17']Holly is just about as naive as Michael is. I think that they are both rather idealistic about how the corporate world should be and they get frustrated when it does turn out to be that way.[/quote]

Except that in 99%+ of real companies, Meredith would've been fired in a heartbeat.

[quote name='Matrim Fox Cauthon' post='1553649' date='Oct 13 2008, 01.47']And Creed...[/quote]

They're pretty much all unemployable in the real world apart from Oscar and maybe Toby (when he isn't acting inappropriately toward Pam). I can suspend my disbelief and enjoy.

[quote name='Matrim Fox Cauthon' post='1553649' date='Oct 13 2008, 01.47']And Creed...[/quote]

Bite your tongue!

You know I wonder if Creed has actually ever worked a day on that show. My gut tells me no.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1554359' date='Oct 13 2008, 14.13']Bite your tongue!

You know I wonder if Creed has actually ever worked a day on that show. My gut tells me no.[/quote]

It depends on what you consider working, playing a lot of solitaire could be called work :D

[quote name='Bowed Bent Broken' post='1554523' date='Oct 13 2008, 20.16']I'm also enjoying this online.

someone remind me why I need actual cable TV service again?[/quote]

If I didn't like watching sports live and in HD, then I wouldn't have any need for it.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1554534' date='Oct 13 2008, 19.29']If I didn't like watching sports live and in HD, then I wouldn't have any need for it.[/quote]

first it was The Sopranos finale, then the wrap up of Rome, and finally The Wire.

Entourage isn't enough for me to want cable, and I prefer to watch sports at the bar.

So yes, I'm considering ditching TV.

I feel like I should at least pretend to be on topic:

I think many of the characters a little too true to life (but at times taken to extremes), and that is why the show works so well.

[quote name='Bowed Bent Broken' post='1554542' date='Oct 13 2008, 20.43']first it was The Sopranos finale, then the wrap up of Rome, and finally The Wire.

Entourage isn't enough for me to want cable, and I prefer to watch sports at the bar.

So yes, I'm considering ditching TV.[/quote]

Cable is much cheaper than what I would spend going to bars for games, and the games don't always conform to my schedule so the DVR is such a wonderful thing.

[quote name='Bowed Bent Broken' post='1554523' date='Oct 13 2008, 21.16']someone remind me why I need actual cable TV service again?[/quote]
Because your child will go apeshit without Noggin?

Oh wait, that's me.

Caught the episode last night on Hulu. Hard to say too much to criticize a 20 minute episode. The bar we've set is so high, but there's really only so much that can actually happen in that amount of time.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the emergence of Dwight as...evil. He's always been an asshole, but kind of charmingly naive. The ominous line about "not being ethically perfect", and then a Halpertesque mugging for the camera struck as me pretty dark for Dwight. Whole episode seemed less lighthearted than usual. Looks like it's leading to an episode where Andy finds out and snaps like he did before being brainwashed by anger management.

Still the whole debate about Ethics was pretty amusing. As was Jim and Dwight as usual. An Angela calling INS about Oscar. Not enough Kevin for my taste, but like I said, it's hard to fit in every member of an ensemble in 20 minutes.

One thing I want to know is, what are they doing with Ryan? Not sure what his role is now that he's back. I mean he's writing these episodes...where y'going with this Beej?

So-so episode last night. Best part was Michael deciding to ask Holly out because he felt good after hugging her... and didn't after holding Jen's baby. Gives me hope that he's starting to move away from Jen's control, something that could accelerate as the hardships from having a newborn baby in his house start to pile up.

Yes, a decent episode but not great.

The Jim-Pam arc is pretty boring - they've lost all momentum on that. I assume some conflict is coming their way or else it's a waste of two good actors in roles that have already earned audience sympathy.

Jan reaffirmed her callous attitude toward Michael, making him that little bit more sympathetic. But although she is a selfish train-wreck, I had no sympathy for Michael reneging on his intent to be a pseudo-parent just because he felt no connection. He absolutely should never have made that commitment but, having done so, to drop out at the first step because it's not all Disney magic is the stuff of douchebags.

I'm not feeling the chemistry between Michael and Holly. It looked promising at the end of last season.

The party planning committee power struggle is pretty tired. We need to see more of Andy's perspective in the love triangle. And Darryl-Kelly-Ryan was been under-used.

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1559442' date='Oct 17 2008, 12.22']And Darryl-Kelly-Ryan was been under-used.[/quote]
ITA. I wonder if the arrest of the actor who plays Darryl has affected the storyline? I know it was for drugs, but I don't if he's in jail or how much trouble he's actually in.

At least last night we got a quick reaction glimpse of Creed. He kills me.

I like this show better when it is a hour long. The story works better and moved better. Still a good show, I would have liked to see more Jim and Dwight though. Michael with a baby is scary, but a lot batter than Dwight.

I for one love the Holly/Michael connection/ As Krafus pointed out, the moment when they hugged and Michael asked her out was the best part of the episode. I love me some Amy Ryan.

I completely disagree with the reasoning about Michael's committment. Jan friggin didnt even tell him when she had the baby!! :rofl:

She's CRAZY "...with the son of a preacher man...."

and then she all but assured he'd turn to Holly by telling Michael NOT to. ;)

eta: I thought the thing with Dwight and the stroller OVERKILL. pun intended

Archived