College Football 2008

Rhom

I don't have anything productive to add... I just wanted to start the new thread!

Plus, I'm looking forward to UConn vs UofL tonight... that is the rematch game of the fake Fair Catch punt from last year.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1533274' date='Sep 26 2008, 19.32']I am getting pumped for tomorrow. I hope to be in athens by 11 am. A long day of kicking Bama ass.

Go DAWGS!

Congrats to Triskele's brother. Awesome. Just awesome.[/quote]
Do you have enough gas to make it back? Have fun. Athens should be rocking. I bet there will be a lot of Bama fans in town.

That was pretty cool about Triskele's brother. I wasn't sure if that was him while I watched the game. I tried telling my girlfriend that there's this guy from this board and his brother plays for the Beavers. She still thinks I'm a dork.

I filled up yesterday. There is plenty of gas. People are fucking go crazy over nothing. I pass about 10 stations on the way to work and half had gas.

Athens will be rocking. Lots of Bama and Dawg fans. The stadiums seats just over 92,000 and I bet over 110,000 show up. I know lots that are going with no ticket.

H von T - Good luck. I hope we undefeated when we meet on Nov. 1st. I think I may have to make the trip to Jacksonville if that happens.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1533309' date='Sep 26 2008, 20.20']H von T - Good luck. I hope we undefeated when we meet on Nov. 1st. I think I may have to make the trip to Jacksonville if that happens.[/quote]
I'll be amazed if both of us make it past LSU without a loss. Their defense is looking very tough. I hope you beat Bama bad tomorrow. I know we Florida fans can be pretty obnoxious, but Alabama fans are so fucking full of themselves it's ridiculous. You'd think they realize one day they live in a third world country. (Sorry DP!)

Penn State-Illinois should be interesting, as well as Fresno State-UCLA and TCU-Oklahoma.

Wisconsin plays Michigan in the Big House this weekend too, which is always a tough place for the Badgers to play (we haven't won there since '94). Might get interesting, but should hopefully be a stomping.

ETA: Arkansas-Texas and Colorado-Florida State and Virginia Tech-Nebraska might also be worth looking at.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1533661' date='Sep 27 2008, 08.16']Auburn vs. Tennessee could be interesting. Both coming off losses. Fulmer is getting a lot of heat. He needs to turn it around or he may be gone.[/quote]

I actually have a friend who is a UT fan that [i]wants[/i] Kentucky to beat UT for the first time in almost 30 years later this season... he figures that will guarantee Fulmer gets shown the door! :lol:

UConn v. UofL was actually a decent game last night. Old Kragthorpe once again managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. :rofl: Actually, not his fault though. Cantwell (Louisville QB) tossed a pick that was returned for a score with 3 minutes left to put UConn on top.

Bama and Georgia should be a fantastic game tonight. I would think that Stafford and Moreno between them should be able to come up with enough plays to take it home in the end. But I'm a little torn who I should be rooting for...

Here's the scenario. Kentucky plays Western Kentucky tonight, which will make them 4-0 going into next weeks game at Bama. Now obviously, we expect to get our asses handed to us. But I would ask you fellow boarders, if you are a fan of an underdog team and your upcoming opponent has a big game the week before; what do you do?

A) Root for your opponent in hopes of a post-game let down.
B) Root for their opponent to beat them to smithereens, thereby softening them up for you (but risking a "revenge" game).
C) Figure you're going to get beat anyways and check the countdown clock to basketball season one more time

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1533679' date='Sep 27 2008, 09.09']I actually have a friend who is a UT fan that [i]wants[/i] Kentucky to beat UT for the first time in almost 30 years later this season... he figures that will guarantee Fulmer gets shown the door! :lol:

UConn v. UofL was actually a decent game last night. Old Kragthorpe once again managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. :rofl: Actually, not his fault though. Cantwell (Louisville QB) tossed a pick that was returned for a score with 3 minutes left to put UConn on top.

Bama and Georgia should be a fantastic game tonight. I would think that Stafford and Moreno between them should be able to come up with enough plays to take it home in the end. But I'm a little torn who I should be rooting for...

Here's the scenario. Kentucky plays Western Kentucky tonight, which will make them 4-0 going into next weeks game at Bama. Now obviously, we expect to get our asses handed to us. But I would ask you fellow boarders, if you are a fan of an underdog team and your upcoming opponent has a big game the week before; what do you do?

B) Root for their opponent to beat them to smithereens, thereby softening them up for you (but risking a "revenge" game).
C) Figure you're going to get beat anyways and check the countdown clock to basketball season one more time[/quote]

B. I think it is different for each team, but Alabama folded last year after the loss to UGA. They had hopes, lost, then won only a few games after that. Bama is putting a lot into the game. If the lose, it could deflate them for a while.

Of course, I am bias since Bama is playing UGA.

Enjoy the games today everyone. I am showering and off to Athens......

[quote name='H von T' post='1533318' date='Sep 26 2008, 20.35']I'll be amazed if both of us make it past LSU without a loss. Their defense is looking very tough. I hope you beat Bama bad tomorrow. I know we Florida fans can be pretty obnoxious, but Alabama fans are so fucking full of themselves it's ridiculous. You'd think they realize one day they live in a third world country. (Sorry DP!)[/quote]

:rofl:

no worries, HVT. i'm alabamian by birth not choice ;)

and, i agree. i feel in my gut that either florida or UGA will go down [s]on[/s] against lsu. it looks to me like it's gonna regress back to all of us making sure that none of us play for the nat'l title; especially if penn state and oklahoma run the table. (that's my current best guestimate for the MNC)

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1533687' date='Sep 27 2008, 06.26']B. I think it is different for each team, but Alabama folded last year after the loss to UGA. They had hopes, lost, then won only a few games after that. Bama is putting a lot into the game. If the lose, it could deflate them for a while.

Of course, I am bias since Bama is playing UGA.

Enjoy the games today everyone. I am showering and off to Athens......[/quote]

Disagree, I think it's A. The revenge game is a huge problem; I remember two years ago, USC got beat, then came and wrecked us, like 44-0 (that's why we were 40-point dogs in LA when we beat them last year). Good teams coming off a loss are scary.

Tonight's PSU - Illinois game is going to greatly affect how good I think Penn State's chances are of running the Big Ten table. As it stands now, I can't see them making it past Illinois, Wisconsin and OSU, especially since they have to play at Camp Randall and at the Horseshoe.

I'm pretty excited for tonight's Bama - Georgia game. Bama's always been my second favorite college football team, so unlike most of the crowd here, I'll be rooting for them.

It'd also be great to get two awesome upsets in one weekend and have TCU take it to Oklahoma.

It's not been a bad start to the football day what with the MSU - Indiana game we've got going right now. Hopefully that'll continue.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1533679' date='Sep 27 2008, 08.09']But I would ask you fellow boarders, if you are a fan of an underdog team and your upcoming opponent has a big game the week before; what do you do?

C) Figure you're going to get beat anyways and check the countdown clock to basketball season one more time[/quote]

I'm of the opinion that I want every team on my schedule to go undefeated except in the game they play against me. The main reason is that it improves your strength of schedule. A side reason is that there is special pleasure derived from dashing your rivals national championship dreams.

Great ending to the UNC - Miami game. Miami's wideout had the game winning touchdown on his fingertips only to have it stolen by UNC's safety. Nice homecoming for Butch Davis.

It's now tied in the Florida - Ole Miss game. This week is crazy.

Archived