College Football 2008

Rhom

The Rich Rod era at Michigan begins? At thought this team was dead in the water after going down by 19. Wisconsin once again shows it can't handle the big house or the big time. For personal reasons i have some love for the badgers, but they seem like a perennial 10-3/9-4 team.

Wake goes down to Navy? Just when I thought the Pac 10 was sinking below the ACC something like this occurs.

Kudos to Northwestern, Vanderbilt (didn't play), and Duke, always nice to see small academic powerhouses succeed in BCS conferences other than Stanfurd.

[quote name='Celtigo' post='1534025' date='Sep 27 2008, 18.11']The Rich Rod era at Michigan begins? At thought this team was dead in the water after going down by 19. Wisconsin once again shows it can't handle the big house or the big time. For personal reasons i have some love for the badgers, but they seem like a perennial 10-3/9-4 team.[/quote]
If I hadn't seen the Notre Dame game from two weeks before, I'd say this was the sloppiest, most ridiculous game of football I'd ever seen. But goddamn it feels good to win. Insane how Steven Threet can go from looking like the worst quarterback ever in one half to mildly competent in the other. Woohoo! Hopefully we can build on this for next week and only fumble the ball one or two times.

On the seriously positive side, the defense showed up big today, for the most part. Only allowed 19 points (only one TD) in a first half in which they could easily have given up 35 and caused turnover after turnover in the second.

Chionophile,
I feel for you, man. Tough call on that two point conversion. I would hate to lose on an ineligible receiver penalty. Good luck with the rest of the Big Ten. :cheers:

On to the next games! Roll Tide!

Illinois and PSU...beat the living bejeesus out of each other!

And the ridiculousness continues. What a weekend. Georgia's done at the half and that makes three top 5 teams to go down in one weekend. 4 top ten teams. This is crazy even by college football standards.

Alabama is making Georgia look hapless. Georgia needed to come out of that half with at least something on the board. Looks like the front line is more important than any 'impact player'. *grumbles about ESPN not showing everyone in the starting line up*

Can someone explain to me why the "ineligible receiver" rule exists? It reminds me of illegal defense in basketball, just a way to hinder innovative play.

I would put Oklahoma at #1, Alabama at #2. I know that's a big jump for the tide, but they are just dominating the toughest conference in the country, I saw where Alabama has not trailed ever this season, and have only been tied for like 22 minutes. Unreal.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1534157' date='Sep 27 2008, 20.10']Can someone explain to me why the "ineligible receiver" rule exists? It reminds me of illegal defense in basketball, just a way to hinder innovative play.[/quote]

The defense should not have to cover ineligible people downfield. It would be far too easy to confuse things if you could send the linemen into pass routes. Eliminating that rule would eliminate the zone defense altogether.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1534167' date='Sep 27 2008, 22.21']The defense should not have to cover ineligible people downfield. It would be far too easy to confuse things if you could send the linemen into pass routes. Eliminating that rule would eliminate the zone defense altogether.[/quote]

yeah but that's one less blocker the o-line has, it's not like they get an extra player by turning him into a receiver

[quote name='Commodore' post='1534172' date='Sep 27 2008, 20.26']yeah but that's one less blocker the o-line has, it's not like they get an extra player by turning him into a receiver[/quote]

Imagine a play where a bunch of offensive players form a close, tight mass then all burst out in different directions down the field. Do you really want the defense to have to decide in a flash "cover him, let him go, cover him, let him go, let him go".

Defense is predicated on the understanding that there are five guys who you have to cover and you can identify them because they are the guys running down the field. Changing that rule changes the game top to bottom. You rush 3, 4 or 5 guys on the assumption that the the other 6-8 have four guys to cover with a couple to be there if someone slips up. If you had to also decide on the fly who was eligible and who wasn't, it would be impossible.

One of the key indicators of a running play for which the defense looks is the offense line pressing down the field. Changing the rule would change everything about the game.

Archived