Hotels for LA Worldcon

Padraig

Yes...it seems to only have rooms left for the main con nights. Tuesday to Sunday night. Getting the con rate for before or after that period is very tricky.

One might do best ringing them. They can play with rooms that way. :)

Edited to add: Alternatively Lany...one idea that might work is to book a room in the Marriott for the earlier days and move to the Hilton afterwards.

Pod, we rooming this year, or you have plans? I don't know what I am doing - but was going to get a room otherwise. I do like rooming with you, because when the hordes of ladies rush past me to flock to you, some of them brush up against me on accident, in their passing. :rofl:

Hmmmm...i'm not sure what's the plan at the moment. Except that hordes of ladies is very unlikely. :P I did book a lanai room with 2 beds. But that was just in case there was no room elsewhere. So I may cancel it if not required. But not until close to the con.

Yes...it seems to only have rooms left for the main con nights. Tuesday to Sunday night. Getting the con rate for before or after that period is very tricky.

One might do best ringing them. They can play with rooms that way. :)

Edited to add: Alternatively Lany...one idea that might work is to book a room in the Marriott for the earlier days and move to the Hilton afterwards.

I realized last night---it might only be non-smoking double bed rooms that were out. I didn't try to change the type of room I had. (lack of Coke is affecting my ability to think and reason--damn diet anyway)

I was trying to stay an extra night as the flight cost were so much less to return on Monday instead of Sunday.....I guess I suck up the extra 50 bucks. (It was $150 difference--just figured another night at the hotel was cheaper)

Oftentimes, international fares are at their cheapest around 60 days before your travel dates. Book too far out and there's no incentive for the airline to give you a deal. It might be worthwhile to wait a bit on that. Hotel rooms, OTOH, are something you already know are in demand and are cancleable at no cost, so you might as well book now.

I have been doing a little scouting around, and flights from London to LA at con time are about £750, while if I leave it until the 22nd and stay until september its around £500.

I hope they drop a little!!!!

Continental takes three or four hours longer than most of the others for some reason.

BA, Air New Zealand and a few others are doing similar fares, flying out on the 22nd and back any time from 31st onwards.

How is the Eurocommie mass flight out looking? :)

Lol, ok, after checking out Homeland Security, it now seems I don't need a visa. Part of a deal struck with several European countries. A valid passport and some kind of form that I have to fill out and that is it. Oh and a 2 way ticket. :P

Hmmm...let me have a look. :)

Off the top of my head, the big airlines are Air France, Lufthansa, BA, SAS, US, United, American, Continental and Northwest. Aer Lingus from Dublin have a €662 (£454) direct service to Los Angeles which I am very inclined to book now. But i'm not sure what are the best days to go. That fare would be heading out on the Monday August 21st and returning on Sat Sept 2nd. If other people were sticking around that long, that would be cool. :)

I wouldn't rely on fares to drop too much further though. August is a peak month for travelling, so there should be plenty demand. 2 to 3 months works fine for short haul flights. But with around 6 months to go, I would expect fares on long haul flights from Europe to LA to keep going up. They want to gauge those who really want to travel after getting plenty early bookings. :P

Oh yes, and if they take 3 or 4 hours longer, its probably because you are connecting over some other airport on the way to LA. For Continental expect to spend some time in Newark which is outside New York.

Edited to add: As for Homeland security, all EU natives should be able to enter the US without a visa. But you will need to tell them where you are staying on arrival. They are quite strict with that. And they'll take your fingerprints also. :o

Archived