What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

"'Let me give you some counsel, bastard. Never forget who you are for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you ... Remember this boy. All dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs.' ... When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king."

"'Let me give you some counsel, bastard. Never forget who you are for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you ... Remember this boy. All dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs.' ... When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king."

Tyrion gave such great advice, and yet half the time he never followed it -.-

Jon: "Brother, sound for battle"

Its not that special I guess, but it got me so pumped up when I first read it

There's so many to choose from though, one day Ill re-read the series again and note down all the awesome quotes.

This line, i dont know why, is one of the most emotinal for me. When jon said that line it almost made me cry.

some other quotes which may not be very good but made me emotional are-

Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died.

North remembers.-manderly

give me my leige lord.-manderly

eat that bastard ned, feast upon it.-robert

robert-will i dream?

ned- u will, your grace.

all the words describing tower of joy

Gilly: "He saved us from the dead men, him and his ravens, and he brought us here on his elk."

"His elk?" said Bran, wonderstruck.

"His elk?" said Meera, startled.

"His ravens?" said Jojen.

"Hodor?" said Hodor.

"Was he green?" Bran wanted to know. "Did he have antlers?"

The fat man was confused. "The elk?"

"Coldhands," said Bran impatiently.

Not a quote, but a dialogue that makes me laugh every time I read it.

I was just about to post these exact lines. They're definitley my favourite lines in the series.

How on earth has the best line of all escaped this thread so far? "The night is dark and full of terrors"

2nd place: (paraphrasing, my good friends, paraphrasing) "When the winter winds come and the snow falls, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."

I also really like one that was mentioned earlier. "What law? That's no law, that's a sword. Happens I got one too" (or something like that)

"Get the keys and remove those chains from him, before you make me rue the day I raped your mother.”

I don't know why, but this line cracks me up.

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 427). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

"he said, “if it please my lord.”

“M’lord.” Bolton’s lips parted just enough to show a quarter inch of teeth. It might have been a smile.

He did not understand. “My lord? I said—”

“—my lord, when you should have said m’lord. Your tongue betrays your birth with every word you say. If you want to sound a proper peasant, say it as if you had mud in your mouth, or were too stupid to realize it was two words, not just one.”

For some reason this exchange amuses me too. And then all can think of is a scene from the HBO series of Theon telling Osha was 'impudence' means and that whole convo (my brain connects things weird)

In aSoS when arya gets captured by the brotherhood and at first Harwin doesn't recognize her and then she gets really emotional and he's like, "God's be good, Arya Underfoot? Lem, let go of her." yada yada.. "the Hand's daughter, Arya Stark, of WInterfell", that part gives me chills!!

Somebody already mentioned it, but Jaime's line:

'That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead.'

To me, the most impressive thing about Martin is that he can manage to make me absolutely love such a terrible person. Jamie is definitely top 3 favorite characters for me, even though it kind of makes me feel sick to admit it, and that line just strikes me as so tragic and perfect.

And then, on the lighter side of things, our boy Lord Too Fat:

'So young. Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey'

Owned.

Somebody already mentioned it, but Jaime's line:

'That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead.'

To me, the most impressive thing about Martin is that he can manage to make me absolutely love such a terrible person. Jamie is definitely top 3 favorite characters for me, even though it kind of makes me feel sick to admit it, and that line just strikes me as so tragic and perfect.

And then, on the lighter side of things, our boy Lord Too Fat:

'So young. Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey'

Owned.

I know! He messes with our values and morals..I've come to love Jaime, and overlook the fact that he's sleeping with his SISTER and that he tossed a 7year old out of a f*cking TOWER! In any other book, there would be no redeeming qualities which would make me forgive his.. mistakes, crimes, whatever they are called. Anyway, the line you mention is amazing. I have tons of others, which are funnier

-THAPHIERTH

-YOU ARE STILL A MAIDEN, I HOPE? OH, GOOD, I ONLY SAVE MAIDENS

-YOU CAUGHT ME CHASTISING MY WIFE

-WHAT'S HONOR TO YOU : A HORSE

-I DON'T KNOW WHO I PITY THE MOST: TOMMEN OR THE REALM (AWESOME, EPIC, IN CERSEI'S FACE)

-IS THAT A WAY TO SPEAK OF OUR LADY MOTHER?

Anyway, I could come up with sooo many more.

• 2 months later...

"The best pie you have ever tasted, my lords....savor every bite. I know I shall." - Wyman Manderly

"Hodor!" - Hodor

Tyrion led his men toward the riverbank. “Look,” he shouted, pointing with his axe. “The river.” A blanket of pale mist still clung to the surface of the water, the murky green current swirling past underneath. The shallows were muddy and choked with reeds. “That river is ours. Whatever happens, keep close to the water. Never lose sight of it. Let no enemy come between us and our river. If they dirty our waters, hack off their cocks and feed them to the fishes.” - Tyrion

"Get the keys and remove those chains from him, before you make me rue the day I raped your mother.”

I don't know why, but this line cracks me up.

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 427). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

True !

Archived