The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

I just watched the "pregnant Confessor" episode. How anyone could claim to be a devotee of TG's book series and also support the tv show is beyond me. How is Goodkind's crusade against Disney going? Didn't he get all bent out of shape a few weeks back and claim he wanted them to return to the source material?

They couldn't possibly stay true to the source material because Dick is a colossal douchebag. However many of the episodes have been severely disappointing simply because the characters keep doing stupid things. I can tolerate bad acting and lame dialogue (I loves me some B5) but I can't stand it when character stupidity drives the plot.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1666565' date='Jan 29 2009, 06.34']My question is how the Hell did Tairy not think that this is what would happen? They had to know that so much of not only his story but his philosophy could not be used for a series like this that is like a Disney/Xena show. WTF did you think it was going to be? Or did he not care until he realized how many of his fans were pissed?[/quote]

Hey, he's choosing Life, who are you to judge? Remember, [s]Richard[/s] Tairy is always right! Obviously his fans don't deserve a decent series, like the sheep that they are; like a good Objectivist, Mr Goodkind is rising up and being true to his inner self, and coincidentally also laughing all the way to the bank.

It's probably still too much to ask that certain statements by certain people get retracted. Like this one:[quote]YES the first show will air in OCT of this year (tolda ya so!!!), and al;so just found out two other talented writers (who shall not be named). who had options for movies are still dead in the water.[/quote] Some people have been very smug about the fact that Tairy has a series and GRRM doesn't. At the very least maybe they'll shut up. If moving too swiftly toward a series results in [i]Legend of the Seeker[/i], then I think I'll hope for a few more years before [i]A Game of Thrones[/i] gets made.

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1666693' date='Jan 29 2009, 06.18']It's probably still too much to ask that certain statements by certain people get retracted. Like this one: Some people have been very smug about the fact that Tairy has a series and GRRM doesn't. At the very least maybe they'll shut up. If moving too swiftly toward a series results in [i]Legend of the Seeker[/i], then I think I'll hope for a few more years before [i]A Game of Thrones[/i] gets made.[/quote]

Even, after all the prep time, if ASOIAF doesn't rise up and meet every expectation (I still think it would be fun), there's still a bit of a difference between 1.6 rated, hanging on by the skin of it's teeth, syndicated and neutered show and being on HBO. That alone is something to be proud of.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1666565' date='Jan 28 2009, 23.34']My question is how the Hell did Tairy not think that this is what would happen? They had to know that so much of not only his story but his philosophy could not be used for a series like this that is like a Disney/Xena show. WTF did you think it was going to be? Or did he not care until he realized how many of his fans were pissed?[/quote]
This was my thought way back when the show was announced.

Disney + guy behind Evil Dead/Hercules/Xena = LOTS (of shit).

HBO + writer of Troy/Wolverine = GOT (to see tv)

*Yes, I actually liked Troy. :) Any movie that can get me to the same duel between Achilles and Hector, and every time still wish it would end differently, succeeded in getting me invested in the characters.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1666754' date='Jan 29 2009, 09.39']Even, after all the prep time, if ASOIAF doesn't rise up and meet every expectation (I still think it would be fun), there's still a bit of a difference between 1.6 rated, hanging on by the skin of it's teeth, syndicated and neutered show and being on HBO. That alone is something to be proud of.[/quote]
True. And speaking of pride, I came across this old email from m*, I posted it a while back on the Lit forum, and looking back on it now, it's even funnier: [quote]Not only is this show based on the Sword of Truth Series by #1 Best selling author Terry Goodkind, BUT
I've put countless hours of my own into the script as a consultent! I've been fortunate to have worked/offered my help, opinion and so much more with the writing team and the producers (Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert).

I think you will not only like the show, but you will find the books speak to your heart and soul. It's a romance, a story of heros..TRUE heros. Ones who do not sacrifice their values or morals. It is a story of overcoming to win with out giving up inthe face of prue evil.

Do me the honor and watch, or better yet pick up a copy of Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind!

The show airs on Nov 1 you can find your local listing and time slot on the website I provided below.

LETS TELL EVERYONE TO WATCH THE US PREMIERE OF “LEGEND OF THE SEEKER” THIS WEEKEND!

Together, we can deliver millions of viewers to this weekend’s premiere. We need this show to be an instant hit in the US so it has a chance to survive in today’s TV environment. And we need TV networks outside of the US to see big ratings so they will take notice and schedule the series in their countries quickly.

Spread the word on every message board, every fan forum, every major web portal, everywhere you can. And ask all of your friends to do the same thing. Tell everyone, whether they are fantasy fans or not, to check out the premiere.

Please send everyone this link so they can find where to watch the show in their city: www.legendoftheseeker.com. Or get the right dates yourself and give them to people if you know where they’ll be watching.

We have a chance to really make an impact this weekend. Please GET OUT THE WORD NOW! Thank you![/quote] Since someone we know spent "countless hours" on the script, if the show sucks (edit: according to the person who spent those countless hours), just who is really to blame?

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1666815' date='Jan 29 2009, 06.56']*Yes, I actually liked Troy. :) Any movie that can get me to the same duel between Achilles and Hector, and every time still wish it would end differently, succeeded in getting me invested in the characters.[/quote]
Word. I don't get the Troy hate. I do however get the Legend of the Seeker ridicule now. Watched that bounty hunter episode on hulu last night. :o

Archived