The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

One CGI vine is much like another...

I'm watching now - it's pretty... meh. Bad acting, massive amounts of excessive slow-motion, and insufficient exposition to have any idea of where (much less when) we are. Mediocre television at its finest, to be sure, though the opening shot of the Misty Mountains... er, NZ mountains was cool.

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1574561' date='Nov 1 2008, 23.35']So wait... this was on TONIGHT?

According to my schedule the two hour premier is coming on tomorrow.

Does the schedule lie?

Or is it coming on at a different time for other people as well?[/quote]

Ah. The greater glory of first run syndication, Zap. It's on when the stations want it to be on. This show is nothing but the bastard red headed step child of Kings World Syndicates and Network television...

It was bad, very bad. And that was expected, but for some reason what bothered me most were two small continuity errors.

At the beginning when Kahlan's sis gets shot with an arrow, the "quad" is maybe 50 yards behind them on horses. There's some more riding and then a death scene where Kahlan and the dying chick have a few minutes to talk. Not sure how that works.

And second, towards the end, as Richard and Kahlan are leaving Adie's house, Kahlan is wearing brown clothes. They are in a rush to leave. Next shot shows her riding a horse in her white confessor's dress. Not good editing.

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1574814' date='Nov 2 2008, 15.49']So, how many chapters were covered?

Or have they thrown out the original storywhere the original doesn't even apply?[/quote]

The first 2 episodes end with Dick, Klan and Zedd having passed through the barrier. Mind you, they did not have to pass through it (just took a quick magical onslaught to break it open). All they did in those 2 eps were talk, fight and do things in slow-motion (aka fight).

Just before going through the barrier, Dick did his Baka-ban-manu (or whatever the hell it was in book 2) thing where he fought like 30-40 guards just by recalling something Zed said to him.

Honestly? Forget the books. The names of the characters and locations are the same, but this may as well be the Spaceballs goof on Starwars.

The ending promises even more deviations to come, since they have to pad the book for another twenty episodes. In the book, they see the mud people, visit the witch, reunite with Zedd, visit a small kingdom, get captured, tortured, and all end up at the palace for the denouement.

In the series, they seem to be saying that they'll randomly travel the Midlands and kill evil people, and that eventually they'll find Darken Rahl and kill him.

[quote name='greenMockingbird' post='1574853' date='Nov 2 2008, 16.47']In the series, they seem to be saying that they'll randomly travel the Midlands and kill evil people, and that eventually they'll find Darken Rahl and kill him.[/quote]

I intentionally didn't mention that part because it just seemed beyond stupid. I really thought I misheard what they'd said. Wasn't it something along the lines of "So what about Darken Rahl?"

"No one knows where he is. He travels from village to village, hiding in the shadows."

"No fears, we'll find him."

?

Yet over at Prophets Inc they posted an image of the People's Palace. Isn't that where D.R. was the entire story?

OK, unlike most of you people my local cable provider gave a one day reprieve and and didn't air LoS yesterday so that means I WATCHING IT AS I TYPE.

When it started I started to jot notes down on a notebook but then I open up my laptop and fired up MS Word. I should have a fairly detailed record of my thoughts when its finished.

Until then, my friends, farewell. Wish me safe journey.

Instead of waiting for the end to post all of my notes I'll try to post them at each commercial break.

2 Minutes into the show: Kahlan's dress is getting awfully dirty. Its been a long time since I've ead WFR but I thought that when Richard first met Kahlan he noticed how pure and unblemished her dress was.

3 Mins: The odd looking vine! It attacked Kahlan's dress. Also, the vine bore a passing resemblance to a young Audrey II.

5 Mins: Richard is shirtless. Hmmm. Must be something for the ladies. And he's building a bridge in the middle of the woods. Apparently there is another bridge up north but it takes a 2 hour detour to get to it. Why is Richard building this bridge? This seems like an awfully altruistic thing to do. From what I've learned of Ojectivism from Goodkind, Richard would never have built this bridge unless there was something in it for him. This flies utterly in the face of the Tragedy of the Commons.

And there's a little kid and his pony who are both afraid to cross the bridge! And they say so to Richard's face! Book Richard would have gutted that child for his presumption! But TV Richard (still sans shirt) crosses back and forth across the bridge to show the kid its safe. And the kid cross and Richard doesn't even ask for a toll! Unbelievable!

The only way I can reconcile Book Dick with TV Dick is if at some later point TV Dick plans to sabotage the North Bridge and therefore monopolize all the bridge crossing business in the Heartland woods. Dick will then set up a toll booth and charge exorbitant prices for crossing HIS bridge. And the child he let cross for free? For Dick, that was like a drug pusher. "The first crossing is free, kid. Go and tell all your friends what a good bridge I've built. They LOVE crossing my bridge, just like you."

6 Mins: Dick sees Kahlan! And she's being chased by big burly! Men! And her dress is still pretty dirty. I thought she might have cleaned it up while she crossed into the boundary but no go.

8 Mins: The famed Blunt mountain scene! And it makes a LOT more sense than in the book! At least in the TV series Dick and Klan aren't walking across the sheer face of a cliff!

10 Mins: Whoa, psycho bitch Klan! Even though Dick just saved her life she holds a knife to Dick's throat when he tries to take her hand! I had my doubt about the actress up to this point but he she can build on that psycho bitch routine she'll have NAILED the role! And Klan is, unlike in the book, taking off without Richard. So they'll be no party scene with Michael Cypher? That means no FIRE speech! And no Michael almost raping Klan in front of a crowd of people! Terry Goodkind must have been furious that they took out a Klan almost rape scene!

11 mins- Audrey II just attacked Richard! Its supper time!

14- So the bad guy who fell off the cliff survived? How? He's wearing a lot of armor, could he really have held onto a ledge with all that extra weight. And Westland guards surround him. Is that Chase?

15 mins- D'haran minion (who's called Fane BTW) is taken to Michael, the leader of the Heartlands province. Michael, unlike in the book, doesn't have a giant neon arrow point to his head with the words "I am Evil" blinking on and off. He does look a bit young and inexperienced to be leader of an entire rpovince though. Maybe he's the Barack Obama of the Midlands. Fane convinces Michael to help him look for Klan and Richard!

16 mins: Richard's dad is still alive?!

17 mins: Dick is talking to his DAD! Dad tells Dick to go and see Zedd! Apparently Dick isn't friends with Zedd! Whoa! Talk about rewrites! Richard is skeptical and calls Zedd a "Crazy old man! He talks to his chickens!"?! Oh my God! Chickens? Why would Zedd talk to CHICKENS of all things! That's crazy!

18 I’m liking Fane. He’s smart and evil. The book really suffered by not having an effective bad guy through the first part. Fane is really picking up the slack in that respect.

19 min: Michael takes Fane and some guards to his Dad's to find Dick. Michael: “Richard does things without thinking”. Hahaha. The Dad lies and says Richard hasn't been there but Fane, clever bastard that he is, sees a piece of Audrey and knows Dad is lying his ass off!

20- Zedd naked on his rock! Why did they keep THAT of all things?!! Also he DOES talk to his chicken! And in a friendly manner?! He named his chicken Clara?! I cannot see how this can be anything except a big old FUCK YOU! To Terry Goodkind and his fan base. Klan already KNOWS Zedd is the First Wizard?! And Richard rides in, looking haggard. His fight with Audrey II is taking its toll

25 mins: K and Z bicker about the seeker.

27- Darken Rahl has BLACK hair? I thought I remembered him as blond?

29 min- Z has kept his distance from Richard his entire life? I guess I was wrong about the preview when I said Richard's comment about not knowing Zedd simply meant he hadnn't know about all the secrets Zedd was keeping.

31- K give R the BOOK?

33 So it IS the book of counted shadows! And Klan gave it to Dick instead of Dck alreadying having had it and memorized it.

35- Fane is a decent bad guy. I can't seem to stress that enough. He's not like the usual TG villain straight from central casting.

36 This is Commercial break but I have to mention this since during the commercials they keep playing the ad for “Twilight.” LOL. I guess the big shot advertising execs think they is a lot of overlap between the Terry Goodkind and Stephanie Meyer fanbase.

40 min: Blood flies!

41- A Gar! Gars are a lot uglier than I thought they’d be. I've alway's imagine them to be big fuzzy dinosaurs.

41 Zedd has thunderball fists! Dead gar. Really dead gar.

41- Dick :"I'm going to find my father before something terrible happened to him too!" STAR WARS!

Fane gave Chase the slip and went back to Dad's house and tortured him for info. When Dick gets back to the house everything is burning and Dad dies in Richard's arms. STAR WARS!

51- Dick goes back to find Zeed. Richard was searching Z’s house but he was betrayed by Clara the chicken?! Is this an attempt at moral ambiguity. A portent of things to come?

52- Fane fight! I hope Richard doesn’t kill him, he’s been an effective villain up to this time.

53: What? Fane, Don’t turn your back on him when he’s done. Fane you moron! You left and let Dick live! Argh!

56- OK, Fane not killing Richard was very stupid but cutting down the bridge so R can’t follow him was pretty smart.

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1575092' date='Nov 2 2008, 22.00']41- A Gar! Gars are a lot uglier than I thought they’d be. I've alway's imagine them to be big fuzzy dinosaurs.[/quote]

As had I. Somehow, I can't picture something like that saying "Gratch luuuuugg Raach Argg."

Archived