Footyball thread no. 8

Calibandar

A nice showing by the Young Gunners yesterday. Arsene may want to consider playing his League cup side against bottom-half of the table Premier League teams seeing as how his first team keeps dropping points to them.

Soccernet had an interesting article about the financial conditions of Liverpool today. Apparently Liverpool have a massive amount of debt coming due this January and Gillette and Hicks don't have the means to pay it. The debt is held by Wachovia and the Royal Bank of Scotland. I don't know about the status of RBS, but Wachovia has gone belly up in the States and was purchased by Wells Fargo. I imagine they're keen on getting repaid. The article may have been your typical alarmist football fare, but the credit crunch has to hit football soon. Man U's shirt sponsor has been bailed out by Congress, Newcastle can't find a buyer, and even Chelsea have had to cut costs. It would be something if Liverpool would have to sell players to avoid going into administration.

[quote name='H von T' post='1586671' date='Nov 12 2008, 18.42']Man U's shirt sponsor has been bailed out by Congress[/quote]

West Ham's went bust (XL Airways) - plus their owner is an Icelander with most of his money in their collapsed banks.

[quote name='H von T' post='1586671' date='Nov 12 2008, 13.42']Soccernet had an interesting article about the financial conditions of Liverpool today. Apparently Liverpool have a massive amount of debt coming due this January and Gillette and Hicks don't have the means to pay it. The debt is held by Wachovia and the Royal Bank of Scotland. I don't know about the status of RBS, but Wachovia has gone belly up in the States and was purchased by Wells Fargo. I imagine they're keen on getting repaid. The article may have been your typical alarmist football fare, but the credit crunch has to hit football soon. Man U's shirt sponsor has been bailed out by Congress, Newcastle can't find a buyer, and even Chelsea have had to cut costs. It would be something if Liverpool would have to sell players to avoid going into administration.[/quote]

I've been worried about this for a while, although this latest speculation came from a deal broker who was excluded from that deal. He may just be twisting the knife a little out of sour grapes, but the overall concern is still there.

At the time of the acquisition, it was stated that the debt would be Gillette & Hick's and not applied to the club. However, it sounds like they subsequently tried to change this and it's not clear how far they went. It is a private company under no obligation to disclose all board resolutions.

If Gillette & Hicks default, it is not clear whether the banks can seize Liverpool Football Club and attempt a liquidation of assets to satisfy the debt. The club was never supposed to be collateral, but who knows if that's how it will pan out.

It seems clear to me that Gillette & Hicks have small likelihood of securing further debt, so this issue will probably come to a by the end of the season - allowing for a six month roll-over option available in January.

A good win for Liverpool today, although it's a pity we don't take our chances as ruthlessly as Chelsea and ManU. Nice to see Torres back, looking dangerous. Kuyt is maintaining his form. I'm really hoping that he is finding his confidence again after losing his father last year.

Bolton look like candidates for relegation, although Gardner was dangerous as an attacking left back again.

Villa beat Arsenal, who do not look like convincing title challengers at the moment. ManU strolled against Stoke and, as I type, Chelsea are wrapping up a win against West Brom. So three of the big four had relatively easy opposition this weekend.

Fulham and Sunderland won. The bottom half of the table is quite tight still.

Last time I saw Arsenal was already bowing out the title race they beat Man U at home a couple of days later. Still, they look pretty weak this year, poorer than the last few years. Granted, Adebayor injured, van Persie suspended and Eduardo still out is a loss, but even when they are playing it's not that convincing.

I must say Liverpool on the other hand is already proving serious stamina. That is a huge amount of points to get out of 13 matches.

Great win for Man U, couple of new players brought in that I'd never heard of, Welbeck and Dave Gibson. Jonny Evans and John O'Shea preferred in defense over Neville and Ferdinand. Fletcher and Carrick play strong in centre midfield.

I'd like to know when they finally play the game in hand against Fulham so that the table looks normal again.

And Chelsea wins again. Nothing new there.

Third page? How could we let things slide thusly?

So, due to injuries the classic clash between Germany and England has been turned into an opportunity to test new players for both coaches, with two Hoffenheim players making the cut on the German side. There is also the possiblity that Tim Wiese might get a chance in goal, which would at least provide a good excuse for a possible defeat.;)

Speaking of goalkeepers: Nigeria has apparently called up one playing in the tenth division in Bavaria, as three other keepers under contract outside of Europe had trouble securing visa for a trip to Colombia.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1594890' date='Nov 19 2008, 22.18']Man that was a bad game by Germany. Though if Carson had played for more than just 45 minutes...[/quote]

Are Ballack and the manager still after one another's blood? (I know he's injured, and so he wouldn't be playing regardless, but it was an interesting story.)

[quote name='DVD ROTS']Are Ballack and the manager still after one another's blood? (I know he's injured, and so he wouldn't be playing regardless, but it was an interesting story.)[/quote]

Nah. Ballack has vowed to be a good boy from now on. I think that whole incident was way overblown by the media anyway. It basically came down to Ballack doing something stupid and Löw telling him to never do it again. But of course sports "journalists" tried to milk the story as much as they could.

I was switching back and forth between Holland vs Sweden and Germany vs England.

Holland was significantly better than Sweden, and 3-1 was a fair result. Excellent results under van Marwijk sofar.

Germany vs England was interesting to see how what is basically England's B side also performed really well unde Capello. Lots of pressure on the Germans, and the better side.

I hear Walcott is injured for the next 3 months btw.

Walcott needs surgery on his shoulder and will be out for 8-10 weeks.

That Germany goal was John Terry's fault, not Carson's. Terry even admitted as much after the game. Other than that moment, everything last night was really positive. Even Downing had a good game (probably our biggest threat going forward for most of the night). Carrick and Barry did a good job in midfield, though they aren't likely to play together there again. I was glad to see Agbonlahor get his chance. Hopefully he did enough to stay in the reckoning. I wish Capello would give Ashley Young more time though, considering the amount of assists he regularly gets with Villa.

Some of those "injured" players may have to start looking over their shoulders. I hope Johnson permanently replaces Wes Brown at right back.

[quote name='Black Wizard' post='1596640' date='Nov 21 2008, 13.59']I'm getting really scared that England might actually win the world cup now. :([/quote]

I think they need a better goal-keeper to be sure of going far in a knock-out tournament against quality opposition. They'd be rolling the dice with Carson, Robinson or (to a much lesser extent) James or Green.

[quote name='Iskaral Pust' post='1596703' date='Nov 21 2008, 19.40']I think they need a better goal-keeper to be sure of going far in a knock-out tournament against quality opposition. They'd be rolling the dice with Carson, Robinson or (to a much lesser extent) James or Green.[/quote]

There's still two years for someone like Ben Foster or Joe Hart to step up and prove themselves.

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1596725' date='Nov 21 2008, 20.55']There's still two years for someone like Ben Foster or Joe Hart to step up and prove themselves useless.[/quote]
Corrected it for you.

Oh wait, you weren't talking about possible goalkeepers for the Norwegian national team...

[quote name='The Iceman of the North' post='1596727' date='Nov 21 2008, 20.02']Corrected it for you.

Oh wait, you weren't talking about possible goalkeepers for the Norwegian national team...[/quote]

Speaking as a United fan, I'd be delighted if Joe Hart proved himself useless.

Archived