College Football

Gold Storm

[quote name='Circle Breaker' post='1574801' date='Nov 2 2008, 12.31']I still think one of the greatest BCS screw jobs of all time was Kansas being chosen over Missouri last year. Sure, KU was one-loss - only because they didn't have to play a conference championship and never played OU (which Mizzou had to do twice). Lame.[/quote]

Using OU for your argument doesn't quite work, because that same OU team got [u]brutalized[/u] by a WVU team that had just lost their head coach.

But if you want the real reason that KU was chose over MU, you don't have to look any further than the mighty $. KU fans will travel anywhere. MU fans can't travel very far because it's not safe to leave a meth lab unattended (j/k Smiler ;)), seriously though the Orange bowl selection committee knew we would sell a lot more tickets than MU and that's why we were selected. It also ended up being the most entertaining BCS game last year, and we won - so KU was not a lame selection.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1579311' date='Nov 5 2008, 18.28'][url="http://www.kansas.com/sports/updates/story/586707.html"]Rod Prince[/url] is out at the end of the year at Kansas State. There are gonna be a lot of job openings this year, the coaching carousel will be going big time. Jobs at Tennessee, Washington, Syracuse, and Clemson and these are just the big jobs that I could think of off the top of my head. I know there will be more coaches getting fired/retired and then there will be openings when the new coaches leave their jobs to get their new one.[/quote]

Aww, poor Scary Smart. Thanks for the memories, and the three straight victories! :cheers:

the spreads in this week's pickem are comparatively volatile to the other weeks. most of the spreads are moving up and down or up and up, not just one or two that move a bit like in most weeks.

What's the status on Texas A&M? Are they at Baylor level? cause they have the same spread against oklahoma as Texas does against Baylor. Actually I feel less confident about Texas covering the spread on Baylor, as I think the margin will be in the 18-24 range, but with A&M I've no idea. :(

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579421' date='Nov 5 2008, 22.51']MU fans can't travel very far because it's not safe to leave a meth lab unattended (j/k Smiler ;)),[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1579421' date='Nov 5 2008, 22.51']Using OU for your argument doesn't quite work, because that same OU team got [u]brutalized[/u] by a WVU team that had just lost their head coach.[/quote]

My thought on this was going to be that I don't think you should get to go to the BCS if you lose to the same team twice in one year, which Missouri did. But I like your answer better, lets run with that one. :smoking:

[quote name='S John' post='1579873' date='Nov 6 2008, 10.58']My thought on this was going to be that I don't think you should get to go to the BCS if you lose to the same team twice in one year, which Missouri did. But I like your answer better, lets run with that one. :smoking:[/quote]

If only yall had lost that game instead you might have a real football coach now instead of Pappy Stewart.

[quote name='Lukkake' post='1580029' date='Nov 6 2008, 12.46']If only yall had lost that game instead you might have a real football coach now instead of Pappy Stewart.[/quote]

Well, if Rodriguez would have taken the Alabama job a year earlier we might have gotten Saban (a native WVian). If we had beaten Pitt and gone to the NC we'd probably still have Rodriguez.

Stewart or not, that was one of the greatest victories in the history of WVU football. Talk about being the underdog, I wouldnt trade that win for any coach.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1579417' date='Nov 5 2008, 19.41'][url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-bust-Ryan-Leaf-placed-on-leave-from-college-?urn=nfl,119970"]Ryan Leaf placed on leave from his QB coaching postion[/url]!!!

[quote]I'd imagine it has to be a little strange to play for Ryan Leaf. Anytime the coach critiques a player, the kid must be thinking, "Dude, you're Ryan Leaf. What can you tell me about quarterbacking? I was at that game when you went 11-26 with two picks and threw a pass that hit your center in the thigh. And you're telling me to 'keep my wits under pressure.' Just like you did when you flipped out on that reporter, right?[/quote]
:rofl:

Buy stock. West Texas A&M's program is probably on the rise.

ETA: In the comments:
[/quote]
:lmao:

Do you remember when there were a lot of the sport's talking heads that were fight over whom should be the top pick him or Manning? Wow talk about a major contrast between the two. I guess now if the Raiders do not sign him, he can become a motivational speaker, "Please kids for the love of God, do not act or make the same choices that I did."

I can tell that everyone on here are WVU, VaTech, LSU, Georgia, Texas, and USC fans... the amount of commentary about the season has really dropped off as those teams lost throughout the season.

Georgia limps into Commonwealth Stadium today. If there are two more beat up teams in the SEC, I havn't heard about them. In the end, I think Georgia's offense will be too much for my Cats and our offense isn't dynamic enough to move the ball against their D. If we can keep the turnovers down and special teams can make Georgia work with a long field, I think we'll have a shot at them much like we did against Alabama though.

[quote name='Billy Clyde' post='1582261' date='Nov 8 2008, 09.35']I can tell that everyone on here are WVU, VaTech, LSU, Georgia, Texas, and USC fans... the amount of commentary about the season has really dropped off as those teams lost throughout the season.[/quote]

Heh, well not much to say really. We have Cincy, Louisville, Pitt, and South Florida left to go. I'd love to walk away winning all 4 of those, but the only two that are must wins are Cincinnatti and Pittsburgh. We win those two games and just one of the other two and we're going to win the Big East and go to a BCS game. We got off to a terrible start. The mismanagement of the Colorado game hurts, and the ass-kicking that ECU gave us haunts my dreams. However, in the second half against Auburn and then again against Connecticut there were flashes of greatness. Just one half of playing the way we were expected to play coming into this season was enough to bury two of the best teams we've played so far. If we could just put together a full game, and thats a big IF, I wouldnt be afraid of putting us against anyone.

We've got Cincy tonight in Morgantown. They probably have one of the better passing attacks we've seen, and we have a very young secondary. They always have a stingy Defense and the Bearcats have always played us scrappy in general. All week thier coach, Brian Kelley, has been telling reporters and his team that this is a must win for them. The road to the title goes through Morgantown and all that. They'll be hungry and Cincy can beat us. IMO, whether we win or lose depends on the game plan and game management of our coaching staff.

In other news, Pat White is 239 yards away from breaking the all time NCAA record for rushing yards by a QB. Including a bowl game, he has 5 games to do it. Last week against UCONN he passed both the 4,000 career rushing yards and 5,000 career passing yards milestones. A third consecutive 1,000 yard passing and 1,000 yard rushing season looks quite possible. Lets hope he stays healthy.

[quote name='S John' post='1582318' date='Nov 8 2008, 11.35']Heh, well not much to say really. We have Cincy, Louisville, Pitt, and South Florida left to go. I'd love to walk away winning all 4 of those, but the only two that are must wins are Cincinnatti and Pittsburgh. We win those two games and just one of the other two and we're going to win the Big East and go to a BCS game. We got off to a terrible start. The mismanagement of the Colorado game hurts, and the ass-kicking that ECU gave us haunts my dreams. However, in the second half against Auburn and then again against Connecticut there were flashes of greatness. Just one half of playing the way we were expected to play coming into this season was enough to bury two of the best teams we've played so far. If we could just put together a full game, and thats a big IF, I wouldnt be afraid of putting us against anyone.[/quote]

Very true. All I know is that you and I have a potential date for November 29 in Las Vegas pending the outcome of our game against K-State and your game against Iowa. The discussion will be continued in the appropriate basketball thread. :box:

[quote name='Billy Clyde' post='1582329' date='Nov 8 2008, 11.53']Very true. All I know is that you and I have a potential date for November 29 in Las Vegas pending the outcome of our game against K-State and your game against Iowa. The discussion will be continued in the appropriate basketball thread. :box:[/quote]

O rly? Aside from a few scattered articles and watching espn's Big East preview, I havn't really switched focus to basketball yet. I'm sure ol' Huggy bear will have us ready to go. I'll look into that and see you over there.

Fuuuck. Our defense is making Ohio State look like a USC team with Vince Young at the helm. Our offense... shit, we've got a backup QB and a backup RB playing, so this is better than I'm expecting, but I feel like there's a hump on 3rd down plays that we can't get over.

Whomever is going to take over the Tennessee job will have to build from the bottom up. Right now they are getting beat by Wyoming at home.
Texas is thumping Baylor, recovering form their last second loss and still in the BIG 12 title picture.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1580572' date='Nov 6 2008, 21.06']Do you remember when there were a lot of the sport's talking heads that were fight over whom should be the top pick him or Manning? Wow talk about a major contrast between the two. I guess now if the Raiders do not sign him, he can become a motivational speaker, "Please kids for the love of God, do not act or make the same choices that I did."[/quote]

Yeah really and in further news, [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/11/07/leaf.resigns.ap/index.html"]Leaf resigns![/url]

[quote]The No. 2 pick in the 1998 NFL draft told the school Thursday he was leaving the program immediately. Athletic director Michael McBroom said in a statement that Leaf resigned because of "personal issues."[/quote]

Apparently the team and their offense were pretty good too.

[quote]This is Leaf's third season as quarterbacks coach at West Texas A&M, which is 9-1 heading into its final regular season game Saturday. Quarterback Keith Null has completed nearly 68 percent of his passes and has 3,812 passing yards, 36 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. The team's passing offense ranks first in the Lone Star Conference.[/quote]

And the most bizarre part:

[quote]Leaf, a Heisman Trophy finalist who led Washington State to the 1998 Rose Bowl, [b]also coached men's golf coach [/b]at West Texas A&M in Canyon, about 20 miles southwest of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle.[/quote]

So I guess he quit 2 coaching positions..

I got to admit that I am a bit surprised that he was that good of a QB Coach; you would have hoped that he would have been smart enough not to ask his player to get him some pain pills. I hope he gets it turned around. He is a jackass but I still do not like to see somebody throw their life and chances away.

Archived