Aussies XXXXV

Stubby

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1578352' date='Nov 5 2008, 19.39']Well a good thing is that Rudd and Labor appear to be more aimed at bracing Australia for the global financial crisis, and they seem to be aiming to This is unlike Howard who would have got down on all fours and barked like a chiwawa if Georgie boy told him to.[/quote]

must wash my eyes out

<bad pun alert>

[quote].....Howard who would have got down on all fours and barked like a chiwawa if Georgie boy told him to[/quote]

Would that have made him a chiwoward?

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1578352' date='Nov 5 2008, 19.09']Well a good thing is that Rudd and Labor appear to be more aimed at bracing Australia for the global financial crisis, and they seem to be aiming to achieve this on a more independant level so that we are not so badly affected by other countries such as the US. This is unlike Howard who got down on all fours and barked like a chiwawa if Georgie boy told him to.[/quote]
Fixed it for you :P

In other news from the wake up radio the IMF is predicting all major western economies will be in recession for the next 12 months, the only western economy not predicted to do so is Canada. Funny but as I recall they are also one of the few to not have a free trade agreement with China.
Thats also something we are not likely to get rid of with Rudd in charge and since both parties seem to think it is a good thing I doubt we will see a sensible aproach to free trade anytime soon.

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1580272' date='Nov 7 2008, 08.12']Fixed it for you :P

In other news from the wake up radio the IMF is predicting all major western economies will be in recession for the next 12 months, the only western economy not predicted to do so is Canada. Funny but as I recall they are also one of the few to not have a free trade agreement with China.
Thats also something we are not likely to get rid of with Rudd in charge and since both parties seem to think it is a good thing I doubt we will see a sensible aproach to free trade anytime soon.[/quote]
Yeah okay I admit China sorta negates my comment, but atleast we're not playing suckup to the US like before, so I stand by my chiwowa comment.

[quote name='Skyrazer' post='1580410' date='Nov 7 2008, 09.46']Yeah okay I admit China sorta negates my comment, but atleast we're not playing suckup to the US like before, so I stand by my chiwowa comment.[/quote]
I think that we will still have our poli's playing suck up, lets face it thats what they do.

OK so Indonesia finally did it the Bali bombers are dead, I am not sure just how I feel about it but here is the link

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_re_as/as_indonesia_bali_bombings"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_on_...a_bali_bombings[/url]

I am really not sure about this though the idiotic comment by the so called security expert did blow my mind somewhat.
I am also finding myself leaning more towards the thought that they and their "spiritual" leader should have spent the rest of their lives in one of Indonesias standard Gaols.

[quote name='Brady' post='1582617' date='Nov 9 2008, 08.24']I kind of agree with the life sentence over execution GS, executing them just turns them into martyrs. I won't be shedding a tear though, good riddance to 'em.[/quote]
No way I would shed a tear over those scum!

No matter what was done to them, though I may argue against torturing them to death etc.
I am very disapointed that the scumbag who instigated it is walking free though!

[quote name='Brady' post='1582617' date='Nov 9 2008, 07.54']I kind of agree with the life sentence over execution GS, executing them just turns them into martyrs. I won't be shedding a tear though, good riddance to 'em.[/quote]

I won't be shedding a tear either, but the death sentence is still completely repugnant to everything that I stand for. If a legal system is designed to put a high value on human life, why should it endorse the destruction of such a life (even if it is someone who has committed horrible crimes)? These men should have been given life sentences to ensure that they can never commit such atrocities again. But the capital punishment of these criminals is just plain wrong.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1582665' date='Nov 9 2008, 09.43']I won't be shedding a tear either, but the death sentence is still completely repugnant to everything that I stand for. If a legal system is designed to put a high value on human life, why should it endorse the destruction of such a life (even if it is someone who has committed horrible crimes)? These men should have been given life sentences to ensure that they can never commit such atrocities again. But the capital punishment of these criminals is just plain wrong.[/quote]
So Paxter I have to ask you then does that mean you prefer them being kept in a prison with a good possability of daily rapes and beatings for the rest of thier life?
I too am against the death penalty but for different reasons I am just trying to point out the reality of the situation and not even looking at the fact that your also punishing society twice.

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1582673' date='Nov 9 2008, 09.22']So Paxter I have to ask you then does that mean you prefer them being kept in a prison with a good possability of daily rapes and beatings for the rest of thier life?[/quote]

To answer your question as directly as possible: yes, I would prefer that they live, even if their prison conditions are terrible. Because, where there is life, there is the hope that the prison system will become more humane and at least they might be able to live a relatively "normal" prisoner's life as international harmonisation in the treatment of prisoners takes place.

Obviously, my preference would be for them to serve a life sentence under humane prisoner conditions, but I would still always choose life, even when conditions are relatively poor. At least then we don't have a hypocritical justice system that simultaneously prohibits and endorses the complete destruction of human life.

I'm not originally from AU, but I moved to Brisbane in April and am still getting used to things around here. Not a whole hell of a lot is different, but there is some. I mean, in what other country could you show up to your job over an hour late without calling and cause the person you're taking over for to worry and put aside their life and have no consequence for it other than you miss an hour's pay or call in sick 4 out of 5 days for 3 months straight without any type of doctor's note and still have your position?

When it comes to publicizing people receiving the death penalty, I'd have to say I think it's one of the dumber things society does today. It means the criminals are getting more attention to themselves and their cause. If you're going to kill them, just do it already and quit yacking about it. I'm not saying whether I disagree or agree with the death penalty because I'm undecided at this point. However, I feel if it's going to be done, let it be done quickly and without a big to-do, I mean seriously, where's Ilyne Payne when you need him? Putting it all over TV ranks on the stupidity charts right next to George W. announcing to the world (and probably Osama himself) that they were coming for the terrorists. Not the same thing, but still just as equally stupid.

And with the threat of being totally flamed about politics, I think Australia has tried so hard to be like America that they've sold most of the companies to America and are hence mostly American run anyways. Yes, the politicians are still sucking up and I doubt that'll stop any time soon. Please don't take this as me saying America is any better because I really don't feel that way in the slightest.

The best thing I've seen so far in Australian culture is the Australian ego. Australian people can talk about how they're country sucks, but as soon as someone from another country makes even the slightest hint at putting down something about Australia...oh HELL NO! The world ends. Australia is automatically the best at everything and because you've said it, you're now just an idiot in their eyes. It reminds me so much of what Chris Tucker (I believe it was him) said in one of his comedy routines about how if a black person tells a joke about black people it's funny, but if a white person were to tell the SAME joke it's suddenly racism. I find this all very comical.

Paxter, I definitely agree with you in principle. In practice I have a hard time working up any outrage over the death penalty in this respect. I know that's very hypocritical of me, but that's just how it is.

Also, Stubby makes a good point. All this discussion and attention could serve to add a legitimacy to the bombers actions that isn't deserved.

Adelle Tully, I don't think you've popped in here before, welcome. :cheers:

Yes welcome Adele Tully so where are you from originally?

I am guessing either NZ or UK but that is a guess.

When you have been here a bit longer you will realise that we are basically an apethetic mob and while we bitch about corrupt or inept politicians we still refuse to really do anything about it. The thing is though we are actually pretty pissed off about a lot of what you have mentioned, that and the loss of most of our manufacturing jobs to China. Well some of us are really pissed about it anyway, then again maybe it would be better to just get pissed instead of being pissed off?

wanders off in search of beer.......

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1584248' date='Nov 11 2008, 10.52'][url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,24634413-948,00.html"]Sub-Editor strikes again[/url]

More from the world of risque headlines.....[/quote]
:wideeyed:

Archived