What games are you playing/looking forward to?

Jon AS

Before NaNoWriMo started up, I was playing Fable 2. It was fun enough while playing, and I definitely think it was an improvement over the first, but looking back it was really rather mediocre. The main quest is incredibly short, and all the social interactions you can get into just aren't complex or varied enough to sustain my interest. I only played it as long as I did out of a sense of completionism.

[quote name='Ser Greguh' post='1579552' date='Nov 5 2008, 23.37']JRPG fans, thoughts on [url="http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/thelastremnant/index.html?tag=result;title;0"]The Last Remnant[/url]? I haven't heard much hype about this one, but it sounds pretty cool and the screenshots that have been released so far look frickin' awesome. To be released on Nov 20.[/quote]

I was somewhat interested in this one, but I read the character profiles and decided it looked like standard JRPG fare. Lots of teenage characters, all with hearts of gold, girl with secret power/destiny that gets kidnapped, etc. I'll make sure to read a review or two when it's released, but I don't expect it to be any good story-wise.

So my partner and I caved and bought an XBox 360 yesterday as the Christmas prices are out (60GB was $450 as opposed to $599) and we got Mass Effect, 'cause I have a tendency to buy anything put out by Bioware, Fallout 3 and Bioshock.

Even though it hurt to pay the NZ$130 for Fallout, it's looking like a really enjoyable game so far, despite being only three hours or so into it. It was pretty satisfying smacking those giant roaches with a baseball bat.

Mass Effect is kinda fun, but I'm finding it really hard to control; I'm not used to actually utilising that many buttons in a console game :P It was telling me to push 'back' to throw grenades and I was trying to use the d-pad :bang:

Haven't played Bioshock yet, don't want to have three games going at on at one time (+ NWN2, still, and KoTOR).

As for boss fights, I don't generally play FPS so I don't encounter that problem. Almost all RPGs I've played have a boss fight. Granted, they usually suck because you're at the highest level you can be from running around doing sidequests and blow them away easily, or have the pattern you have to repeat x number of times like someone else said upthread. I hate the patterns. Yuck.

[quote name='Ser Greguh' post='1579552' date='Nov 6 2008, 02.37']JRPG fans, thoughts on [url="http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/thelastremnant/index.html?tag=result;title;0"]The Last Remnant[/url]? I haven't heard much hype about this one, but it sounds pretty cool and the screenshots that have been released so far look frickin' awesome. To be released on Nov 20.[/quote]

I have my eye on it but I doubt I'll buy it until it goes down in price; There are just too many other games out there I'd rather spend $60 on. I have to agree that it looks like your standard JRPG story wise, but that didn't stop me from playing Tales of Vesperia or Infinite Undiscovery :P

[quote name='diabloblanco18' post='1580154' date='Nov 6 2008, 14.06']Before NaNoWriMo started up, I was playing Fable 2. It was fun enough while playing, and I definitely think it was an improvement over the first, but looking back it was really rather mediocre. The main quest is incredibly short, and all the social interactions you can get into just aren't complex or varied enough to sustain my interest. I only played it as long as I did out of a sense of completionism.[/quote]

I beat Fable 2 last night too. Thing is, I wasn't expecting to beat it so soon...
I thought I had at least another 5-10 hours of story to go so I was quite surprised when the credits started rolling.
SPOILER: the ending
And don't get me started on how crappy the final show-down was... one shot kills? WTF?

I played quite a few of the side quests, maxed out all of the jobs, bought a zillion properties, and still it took me under 20 hours to complete the thing --I haven't checked the exact time but I think it might even be under 15 hours. I officially regret buying the game.
The original Fable gets a lot of flack but at least that one was long.

Little Big Planet totally delivers. It is soooo much fun for all* ages. There's been a lot of laughter from the entertainment room downstairs. (As opposed to the entertainment room upstairs and in Bailey's room and my room.... We're wired for games and sound in almost every room. ;) . )

If you have a PS3 and are looking for something fun, different, amazing graphics, check out this game.

*All as in 5-7 and up.

[quote]I played quite a few of the side quests, maxed out all of the jobs, bought a zillion properties, and still it took me under 20 hours to complete the thing --I haven't checked the exact time but I think it might even be under 15 hours. I officially regret buying the game.
The original Fable gets a lot of flack but at least that one was long.[/quote]

Thank you for this. I will definately not be buying. If I spend 60 bucks on a game I like to at least get 50 hours of gameplay minimum.

Just picked up Gears of War 2 on my lunchbreak - got a $20 giftcard with it (was supposed to be 1600 MS Points, but they ran out of cards).

I'm still working through Devil May Cry 4. I got stuck at Level 15 for the past 2 or 3 weeks, but finally got past it and am almost finished now - got up to Level 20 last night before I had to shut down.

Other than that, I've been playing a lot of Guitar Hero: World Tour (drums are freakin' awesome!) and NHL 2K7 (yeah, I know it's old, but it only cost $15 bucks when I got it, and they're all pretty much the same game anyway).

Having given up on Far Cry 2 for the moment I grabbed Penny Arcade's [i]On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode Two[/i], which for $15 delivers no groundbreaking innovations but is just as much fun as the first part. I mean, who doesn't love using garden tools to fight evil robots?

Sadly there are no mimes in this installment.

The multiplayer beta for Call of Duty: World at War has been open to everyone for a few days now, so I've been playing that. It really is COD4 in a WW2 setting. I'm not a huge fan of the three maps that are playable, though, and the tanks kinda suck, at least in the one small map in the beta that they're available. OTOH, the weapons are thankfully decent for a WW2 game, there are some fun new attachments and perks, and hearing Kiefer Sutherland and Gary Oldman yelling things like "Release the dogs!" is always smile-worthy.

Having played a Battlefield game online since COD4's release, though, I think I'm now a bigger fan of that game than I am of COD4/WAW.

Thinking about it, the ultimate military FPS would have a combination of features from the two games:

[u]Battlefield: Bad Company[/u]
- Maps
- Classes and gadgets
- Health system
- Vehicles and vehicle controls
- Destructible environment
- Conquest mode

[u]Call of Duty 4 / World at War[/u]
- Perks
- Weapons (restricted by class) and weapon attachments
- Infantry movement and controls
- Kill streak bonuses
- Radar system

[quote name='Tormund Midgetsbane' post='1581278' date='Nov 7 2008, 17.17']Thank you for this. I will definately not be buying. If I spend 60 bucks on a game I like to at least get 50 hours of gameplay minimum.[/quote]

I can't remember the last game that had anything approaching that amount of content, certainly nothing single-player since [i]Baldur's Gate II[/i].

[quote]I can't remember the last game that had anything approaching that amount of content, certainly nothing single-player since Baldur's Gate II.[/quote]

All the Final Fantasy games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 looks promising. KOTOR came close. Maybe I play games slower than most but I beat Fable 1 in like 15-20 hours including most of the sidequests. Completing all the side quests in Oblivion is nigh-on impossible.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1581693' date='Nov 7 2008, 17.08']I can't remember the last game that had anything approaching that amount of content, certainly nothing single-player since [i]Baldur's Gate II[/i].[/quote]

Persona 3 FES took me 80 hours to beat... and that was on the easiest difficulty setting. The semi-sequel took me an additional 20 hours but most of that was due to its insane difficulty. Still, not bad for a $30 game.

As rare as it is to find a game with loads of content these days, there are at least a few of them out there.
While I don't know the exact length of Fallout 3 it too doesn't seem to be lacking for things to do.

I want to get resistance 2.... but i hate fps's on consoles. the controls are always way too jerky, and accuracy is really difficult. but it does look awesome, especially the 8 player co-op.

FPS on consoles come like 2nd nature to me... I play battlefield on comp with my 360 controller. I got the twitch down so it's not too bad, I'm a moderate player (i can keep up with the keyboard and mouse). I'm not going to get into the whoel controller vs keyboard and mouse argument unless anyone's got battlefield or halo 2. Halo 2 on comp: just like 360.

If you play all the Fallout 3 Sidequests, you're looking at 50+ hours. However, just like oblivion you can go right through and do just the main quest. Fallout 3 took me 40 hours to beat...

Battlefield bad company is awesome. I would have liked to have gotten it for pc, but all my buddies have live for that game.

Mass effect is awesome. Bioshock is incredible, but more of a rental game.

Just picked up Gears 2 and it's very impressive...

Downloaded the CoD5 beta last night, and it's awesome as well.

Got my code for the Left 4 Dead demo today as well, so I'll be playing that too... It's going to be awesome gaming this weekend =)

[quote name='Tormund Midgetsbane' post='1581771' date='Nov 7 2008, 22.57']All the Final Fantasy games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 looks promising. KOTOR came close. Maybe I play games slower than most but I beat Fable 1 in like 15-20 hours including most of the sidequests. Completing all the side quests in Oblivion is nigh-on impossible.[/quote]

I've completed FF7 three times. Roaring through not doing any of the side-quests takes 22 hours. Doing all of the side-quests takes about 35. To get to about 50 you'd need to spend ages traipsing around doing random battles for ages, or maybe do that crazily tedious chocoba-training thing to get Knights of the Round to kill Ruby and Emerald.

The main quest in [i]Oblivion[/i] mixed in with quite a few side-quests took me about 12 hours. Doing every single side quest might take it to 50, I suppose. Some day I'm going to replay it and see how long it takes.

And KotOR didn't even come close for me. Maybe 30 hours, maximum with every single side-quest thrown in and that's probably being generous.

Of course, even a short RPG these days (like [i]Mass Effect[/i] or [i]Jade Empire[/i]) still generally lasts a lot longer than the average FPS (which seems to be clocking in these days at a disgracefully low 8-10 hours).

Archived