Life is magical and full of joy

Padraig

[quote name='Rimmer' post='1589526' date='Nov 14 2008, 17.20']One question: if the pilot is filmed and they then commit to a series, would we have to wait for the whole series to be filmed before seeing it? Or do they show the pilot early?[/quote]

My understanding is that they won't show the pilot unless they produce the entire season, in which case the pilot will be the first episode aired. Nothing early.

Using [i]True Blood[/i] as an example, they recast one or two roles and reshot various scenes, while others remained as they were. They then aired the reshot pilot as the first episode, rather than airing it early. So I'd expect that's how it'd go.

Just to note on Rome, as good as the show was they were TERRIBLE with their budget. They picked one of the most expensive places in the world to film, often had multiple scenes per EPISODE which used not only dozens of extras, but livestock as well. So not only are they building a replica of a stone city on a prime piece of real estate, they're paying for costumes, training and time to make sure all the extras, animals and animal handlers get everything right.

It did well for recreating an ancient city feel, but the expenses were severely overblown. If the producers can avoid this (which they should - much of the problematic scenes can be taken care of with basic CGI leaving a couple major sets as well as an interchangeable castle/city/town set behind) then they shouldn't run into the same problems as Rome.

I remember that on my first read of AGOT I was constantly flipping back to the character appendix and oftentimes referring to the map of Westeros. I distinctly recall feeling a bit overwhelmed by the enourmity of what GRRM was creating.

The producers of this show are going to be walking a tight rope of not wanting to confuse the audience, while at the same time not sacrificing too much of the complexity and depth that defines GRRM's story. How the hell they try to pull this off is going to be fascinating.

[quote name='Blue Roses' post='1586123' date='Nov 12 2008, 05.55']Yipee!!! :D

How do we arm twist the people at HBO to let us appear as extras? I don't mind travelling to Eastern Europe or where ever to become third mud splattered peasant on the left. Perhaps we could have a competition?

Great news in a boring, rainy November.[/quote]

Haha--I would PAY to appear as an extra!

[quote name='Jenna' post='1590752' date='Nov 16 2008, 12.34']I'm just looking forward to watching the HBO boards where people who presumably haven't read the books are reacting to some of the rather surprising moments.

We all know what those are.[/quote]

So am I! And not just HBO boards but the other dedicated ASOIAF T.V. series fanbaords that will spring up. Ah, it will be quite satisfyng playin gthe know it alls who have analyzed and figured everything out. I personally can't wait to spoil the red wedding for them!! :D

[quote name='Andhaira' post='1590786' date='Nov 16 2008, 14.16']So am I! And not just HBO boards but the other dedicated ASOIAF T.V. series fanbaords that will spring up. Ah, it will be quite satisfyng playin gthe know it alls who have analyzed and figured everything out. I personally can't wait to spoil the red wedding for them!! :D[/quote]

thats just mean man. ;)

[quote name='Andhaira' post='1590786' date='Nov 16 2008, 11.16']So am I! And not just HBO boards but the other dedicated ASOIAF T.V. series fanbaords that will spring up. Ah, it will be quite satisfyng playin gthe know it alls who have analyzed and figured everything out. I personally can't wait to spoil the red wedding for them!! :D[/quote]

I was thinking about the beheading, actually, more because it will happen in the first season. But the Red Wedding is another one of those jaw-dropping moments. We can act superior to all of our co-workers and friends who will watch the TV show but not read the books.

[quote name='Andhaira' post='1590786' date='Nov 16 2008, 13.16']So am I! And not just HBO boards but the other dedicated ASOIAF T.V. series fanbaords that will spring up. Ah, it will be quite satisfyng playin gthe know it alls who have analyzed and figured everything out. I personally can't wait to spoil the red wedding for them!! :D[/quote]

Lame. :thumbsdown:

[quote name='Ran' post='1590872' date='Nov 16 2008, 20.25']Pirkis is apparently busy reading Theology at Cambridge. Not sure that he's going to be in the acting business any time soon.[/quote]

Indeed, at Catz apparently.

[font="Georgia"]I'm a newbie here but I've been a fan of the series since the very beginning....I was actually reading GRRM books [i]way[/i] back in high school (many, MANY moons ago!) :/

I just wanted to say I am THRILLED they're making it into a series. HBO is fast becoming my favorite channel. I didn't have it but when I heard "True Blood" was going to be made into a series and airing this past September, I [b]HAD[/b] to order it. Now I am SO glad I did!

I've been telling all my fellow ASOIAF lovers all about the series.....can't hurt to spread the word, right? :P

[/font]

Archived