Hello from Benioff and Weiss

David and Dan

Wow, this is awesome to have you guys actually reading forums for the casting!

My only desire is to see this stay true to the books as much as possible (I know there will be liberties taken). I recently have been watching the Seeker of Truth series and while it may have helped to pave the way for the greenlight on this project, I'm highly disappointed in the complete colapse of the main story. So please stick to text, it's proven itself golden! (All Heil GRRM!)

Welcome! and thank you for seriously looking at our suggestions, it makes us feel that we have a personal stake in the story/show. Nothing feels like turning to your friend and pointing to the screen saying: "I was a part of this!"

I have one sincere request - [b]please don't make the wolves look cheesey.[/b]
The Direwolves are an integral part of the story and atmosphere. Having terribly rendered/filmed wolves would cheapen the whole experience (no matter how good the actors are).

THANK YOU! :D

Hello everyone:

We just wanted to respond to a few things you guys had brought up.

Accents: We'll probably be shooting in the UK, so most of the cast will probably be UK natives. At the moment, we don't have any hard and fast dogma regarding accents, though – except that, obviously, we can't have anything that would seriously violate the tone, like Southern or Brooklyn (no offense to the South or Brooklyn).

Ages of younger characters: For practical reasons, we're going to have to age some of the kids up a bit. A lot of it has to do with reasons you guys have mentioned; also, there are limits to the amount of time you can shoot with minors.

Where to send resumes for acting, or other skills: We've just started the process, but we'll let you know as soon as the casting directors, production designers, etc. are in place.

Best,
D&D

When you say 'A Bit' do you mean 'Get of age teenagers who can play 15 years olds for the oldest kids' or are we talking a scaling of everyone up 5 years? If the latter, I would be very interested to hear your reasoning and how you expect to deal with the effect on their characters and the story as a whole.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate ya'll letting us have input on this, and the updates on what is going on. It really helps with the trust factor that you guys even bother.

Oooh, U.K. Very cool. :) You just know there will be people camping out on distant hills with telephoto lenses. ;)

I feel vaguely silly about doing this, but what the hell ... if you've a moment, check out [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=32295"]this[/url] in which I point out a U.K.-based visual effects guy/director named Gareth Edwards. Did some amazing work for BBC/Discovery for their [i]Heroes and Villains[/i] series of docudramas, LotR-like massive armies and battles on a shoe-string budget. Got a fair bit of notice from some professional effects groups and websites, got a BAFTA for his earlier vsual work, an Emmy nom a couple of years ago as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to post!

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1593863' date='Nov 19 2008, 08.37']Hello everyone:

Ages of younger characters: For practical reasons, we're going to have to age some of the kids up a bit. A lot of it has to do with reasons you guys have mentioned; also, there are limits to the amount of time you can shoot with minors.[/quote]

How much is a bit?

[Edited by Ran: Try and remember to edit down quoted text if you're remarking on only a specific part of a quote.] Edited by Ran

[quote name='David and Dan' post='1593863' date='Nov 19 2008, 13.37']Ages of younger characters: For practical reasons, we're going to have to age some of the kids up a bit. A lot of it has to do with reasons you guys have mentioned; also, there are limits to the amount of time you can shoot with minors.[/quote]
Good idea. :)

And the UK is a very nice suggestion. :P Pretty close to where I am. Thanks for mentioning it. I think location is one of the most interesting questions right now.

[quote]If the latter, I would be very interested to hear your reasoning and how you expect to deal with the effect on their characters and the story as a whole.[/quote]
I'm sure this will be discussed in another thread but ageing the characters will have very little effect on the story. GRRM himself has admitted that he would have aged the characters older if he started again. Age is nothing but background detail (ignoring extreme cases where Bran is turned into a 19 year old. ;)).

[quote name='Padraig' post='1595787' date='Nov 20 2008, 19.24']I'm sure this will be discussed in another thread but ageing the characters will have very little effect on the story. GRRM himself has admitted that he would have aged the characters older if he started again. Age is nothing but background detail (ignoring extreme cases where Bran is turned into a 19 year old. ;)).[/quote]
Disagreed - while it's irrelevant exactly how old each character is, the general age is still important for many of the bigger characters.

General age? As in Bran should be a boy, so he should be around 7 to 12 years of age? Sansa should be a young lady, so she should be around 11-16? Sure, that's true. But isn't that what I said originally? :)

At the same time, if you want to argue that Bran must be 7 and Arya 9 etc? Well, not sure how you could justify that. And since the author himself disagrees with you, it'd be amusing to see.

[quote name='Faceless Man of Braavos' post='1594062' date='Nov 19 2008, 13.04']I'm sure its not lost on you guys, but if you get the casting of Tyrion right, it will really garner the attention this series needs to thrive. A tour de force performance by a "small person", given the meaty role of Tyrion Lannister - I don't think TV has seen anything like it.[/quote]

My suggestion for Tyrion is Peter Dinklage (from the 2003 movie "The Station Agent"). The guy is a brilliant actor.

[quote name='Padraig' post='1596293' date='Nov 21 2008, 09.24']General age? As in Bran should be a boy, so he should be around 7 to 12 years of age? Sansa should be a young lady, so she should be around 11-16? Sure, that's true. But isn't that what I said originally? :)[/quote]
Not really. I'm referring to this post:
[i]"I'm sure this will be discussed in another thread but ageing the characters will have very little effect on the story. GRRM himself has admitted that he would have aged the characters older if he started again. Age is nothing but background detail (ignoring extreme cases where Bran is turned into a 19 year old."[/i],
which doesn't specifically talk about keeping the general age.

[quote]At the same time, if you want to argue that Bran must be 7 and Arya 9 etc? Well, not sure how you could justify that. And since the author himself disagrees with you, it'd be amusing to see.[/quote]
See my post: [i][b]while it's irrelevant exactly how old each character is[/b], the general age is still important for many of the bigger characters.[/i], which specifically says that exact ages are irrelevant. I'm not sure where GRRM disagrees with that, but okay.

With regards to Sansa's flowering, if she is presented as older for the TV series (say starting at 15 or 16 instead), I suspect you will see any reference to her first flowering dropped. No mattress burning scene, no mention of it later, etc.

For some, this is the logical change necessitated by aging the characters, which may in turn be needed for all the reasons given before. For others, I'm sure this will seem like heresy and reason to decry any adaptation being made at all.

[quote name='Frank Stark' post='1596743' date='Nov 21 2008, 13.12']With regards to Sansa's flowering, if she is presented as older for the TV series (say starting at 15 or 16 instead), I suspect you will see any reference to her first flowering dropped. No mattress burning scene, no mention of it later, etc.

For some, this is the logical change necessitated by aging the characters, which may in turn be needed for all the reasons given before. For others, I'm sure this will seem like heresy and reason to decry any adaptation being made at all.[/quote]

This type of scene could get chopped anyway , regardless of age changes. Are D&D talking about aging the characters or the actors or both?????