Sean Bean

Valyrian-Steel

[quote name='Valyrian-Steel' post='1591921' date='Nov 17 2008, 13.29']I'm not sure of a role for him, but I would watch him in anything. He is an amazingly talented actor.

I think he is too old for Ned Stark. hmmm....[/quote]
I really don't like him for Ned, he just doesn't strike me as a Stark, and he is too old.

He could suit plenty of the older male characters though, he isn't so distinctive that he couldn't slide into any number of them. He is fairly successful though and It seems a waste to cast him as someone like Jorah or one of the older lords.

I saw a lot of people suggesting him for Ned Stark, but if you ask me, he is not suited for a Stark. Bean has a certain... aura of slyness, cunning and even mischeif around him, especially when he smiles, something utterly unlike the frozen faced Starks.

I say that he'd be a magnificent Bronn, though.

[quote name='Rinso' post='1592033' date='Nov 17 2008, 18.01']I saw a lot of people suggesting him for Ned Stark, but if you ask me, he is not suited for a Stark. Bean has a certain... aura of slyness, cunning and even mischeif around him, especially when he smiles, something utterly unlike the frozen faced Starks.

I say that he'd be a magnificent Bronn, though.[/quote]

Too old for Bronn I think, though otherwise, maybe.

I have decided Sean Bean will make an excellent Jorah Mormont. In love but unable to touch his mistress (until that one time), disgraced, a traitor trying to find honor, etc. All good stuff for Sean Bean.

Bronn is never said to be a youth. Judging from his always experienced and cynical view of life, I'd say that he is much closer to 30 than to 20, maybe even older. True, Bean is pushing 50, but he looks much younger and I actually think that he can pull off a 30 or so man, who has rugged and creasy look left by the hard life of a sellsword. As for the rest, all you need to do is dye his hair black and that's it.

[quote name='Lady Blackfish' post='1592075' date='Nov 17 2008, 16.26']Brynden Tully. Still a good guy, but more of a baller. Also doesn't die in the first volume.

Maybe a Royce? Royces come off as stiff as the Starks to me though.[/quote]

I think he would make an awesome Blackfish... :thumbsup:

maybe a Benjen..

but he would still cost to many benjamins....

As long as he has more than just a fleeting part my sister will be guaranteed to watch the series. Not that it will help the US ratings since we don't live there.

Jorah Mormont would be a suitable choice for my sister since he's in every Dany scene just about, and Dany will be in nearly every episode.

So there you have it I've just doubled the ratings within my immediate family from a single casting choice. Can you do the same?

Cut his hair short, gray it a little and give him a receding hairline and he would look pretty average. I really don't think it is necessary to find a role for him though. It isn't like he is the greatest actor and he doesn't exactly fit any of the roles perfectly anyways.

I'm not sure how anyone can have a problem with Sean Bean being Ned.

He's got the right longish face for it, and smiling shouldn't be a problem, how often does Ned actually smile?

It's also said in the book that Ned looks older than his 35yrs, and Sean Bean looks younger than his 49.

He is a hugely talented actor that could portray Ned honestly and honourably.

I haven't seen another suggestion that fits Ned near half as good

Difference in opinion? He does not fit my mental image of Ned at all, thusly I don't think he would suit the character. In addition to that I just don't think he is so huge a talent as to be indispensable. He has a few notes that he plays very well, but he isn't terribly flexible. He was great as Alec in Goldeneye and as Boromir. . . but honestly. the majority of his resume is pretty unimpressive and he tends to play the same types of characters, and he tends to play them pretty similarly.

That said: He is better than the average working actor in Hollywood and he is playing a recurring flashback character in 'Crusoe' currently, so who knows, maybe he would be willing and available to play someone. I just think he would better suit Jorah than Ned if they did want to nab him for a part. if NBC can afford him for their shitty-ass adventure-of-the-week historical drama, HBO can shell out a few bucks to nab him for a recurring part.

[quote name='Lady Blackfish' post='1592355' date='Nov 18 2008, 01.22']I think Sean Bean is too attractive and has too much stature for Jorah. Jorah is supposed to be really average, his crush on Dany is a bit like your suburb-dwelling working stiff perving on his high school daughter's best friend.[/quote]

As a firmly heterosexual man I had no idea he was good looking. Hrrm... you could always scruff him up a little bit.

[quote name='Venardhi' post='1592435' date='Nov 18 2008, 05.28']Difference in opinion? He does not fit my mental image of Ned at all, thusly I don't think he would suit the character. In addition to that I just don't think he is so huge a talent as to be indispensable. He has a few notes that he plays very well, but he isn't terribly flexible. He was great as Alec in Goldeneye and as Boromir. . . but honestly. the majority of his resume is pretty unimpressive and he tends to play the same types of characters, and he tends to play them pretty similarly.

That said: He is better than the average working actor in Hollywood and he is playing a recurring flashback character in 'Crusoe' currently, so who knows, maybe he would be willing and available to play someone. I just think he would better suit Jorah than Ned if they did want to nab him for a part. if NBC can afford him for their shitty-ass adventure-of-the-week historical drama, HBO can shell out a few bucks to nab him for a recurring part.[/quote]

I forgot about Crusoe... yes that does make me think he is affordable (Crusoe will assuredly be cancelled as well).

To me, he is at his best when playing a troubled character who wants something. Wanting the ring, wanting Dany, wanting revenge, it is all much the same, yes, but he does it so well.

Archived