Would you like a Targ back on the Throne?

Winter Crow

NO, unless it's Jon if R+L=J, and no, he doesn't need Daenerys to preserve the Targaryen madness bloodline, if he is a Targaryen, his children with any other woman would be Targaryens too, I hope my eyes never have to read Jon/Dany, ugh. Anyways, I want Jon to remain the awesome LC of the NW so I'm going with King Gendry and Queen Arya :D

No, if the Targ has dragons. Whoever rules should do that because (s)he is competent, not because has Cool!Dragons.

I'm kinda against Dany as Queen. because she wouldn't be a good one.

If Tyrion/Jaime is a Targ, I'll burn the books

If the Targ is Young Griff, I'll eat the books.

Now, if the Targ is partly-Targ...I actually lke Stannis, a lot, and I think he'd be good, but IMO R+L=Jon would make the best ruler among these candidates.

No, if the Targ has dragons. Whoever rules should do that because (s)he is competent, not because has Cool!Dragons.

I'm kinda against Dany as Queen. because she wouldn't be a good one.

If Tyrion/Jaime is a Targ, I'll burn the books

If the Targ is Young Griff, I'll eat the books.

Now, if the Targ is partly-Targ...I actually lke Stannis, a lot, and I think he'd be good, but IMO R+L=Jon would make the best ruler among these candidates.

whats the problem if Jaime and Cersei be targs. Maybe their mother was rape, but they are lannisters by name

GRRM said Azor Ahai will be a redeem person. Jaime fits in this description.

I would like to see a targ restoration

1)whats the problem if Jaime and Cersei be targs. Maybe their mother was rape, but they are lannisters by name

2)I would like to see a targ restoration

1)Because it would be cheesy and cheap, and because it's impossible, since Johanna lived in CR and the King in KL.

Anyway, we're talking about being king, and none of the Lannister guys will ever be one.

2)Why? What did they ever bring to Westeros, except madness? The reason why I like Stannis and Jon better than Dany as ruler is because the former two 1)are raised in Westeros 2)aren't SuperCool!BloodOfTheDragons!TrueTargs. And one of the reasons why I dislike Dany is her, "I'm a Targ, I'm the blood, of the Dragon, I MUST rule" attitude. Did you ever think that maybe Westeros doesn't want you?

I totally agree, and poor Jon is probably the only one who doesn't want to rule at all :huh:

which is why i think stannis is more likely :D

one of the reasons why I dislike Dany is her, "I'm a Targ, I'm the blood, of the Dragon, I MUST rule" attitude. Did you ever think that maybe Westeros doesn't want you?

(...)

which is why i think stannis is more likely :D

Uh? Wouldn't that be the main argument against Stannis' claim?

ETA:I see that you are talking about not wanting to rule, while I find that the argument against Daenerys works even better against Stannis.

But anyway, what gives you the impression that Stannis does not want to rule? He sure is pretending mighty well to want to rule so far.

I think Dany is shaping up to be a good ruler. But I don't see why Westeros would want her, or any other Targaryen. All of them carry the Targaryen madness. That includes Jon if he is Rhaegar's son, too. It may not show in them but it might show again in their children. Especially if they marry a close relative.

Yes, I would like to see a Targ back on the throne. It's their throne. They combined the Seven kingdoms with fire and blood and prevented many wars. The War of the Five Kings would never have happened if the Targs were still in power.

The Starks were the only justified family in the War of the Usurper, because as far as they knew Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, and Aerys killed Brandon and Rickard. But the war wasn't about the deaths of Brandon and Rickard - it was about Rhaegar and Lyanna. If it was truly about Aerys' madness, Robert would have been content with Rhaella or Rhaegar becoming the regent in place of Aerys.

I think Dany would be a great queen. She seems to be the only one so far who has some commitment to the smallfolk. I'd also like to see Stannis as king, but he's clearly heading down a dark path (being the false Azor Ahai), and he wants to burn weirwoods and make everyone follow the Red God.

I think Dany is shaping up to be a good ruler. But I don't see why Westeros would want her, or any other Targaryen. All of them carry the Targaryen madness. That includes Jon if he is Rhaegar's son, too. It may not show in them but it might show again in their children. Especially if they marry a close relative.

Actually, in AFFC the common people were performing puppet shows where a dragon came and defeated the evil lion. So it would seem that they are hoping for a Targaryen ruler. And there was also the man in an Arya chapter in ACOK who claimed things were better under Aerys.

I really don't buy the "Targaryen madness" that so many seem to talk about. Aerys and Viserys were mad, yes, but those seem to have been because of their life experiences. Rhaegar, Rhaella and Rhaenys have never been described as mad. Young Griff hasn't been described as mad. Daenerys is compared to Rhaegar, who has been called everything but mad. And Jon (if he's a Targ), doesn't seem mad to me. Stannis, Robert and Renly also had Targ blood, and they aren't/weren't mad.

On the other hand, Joffrey, Cersei, Lysa, Gregor, etc. don't appear to have any Targ blood, and yet they were all quite clearly mad (although Lysa's was from her experiences, much like Aerys).

I think Dany would be a great queen. She seems to be the only one so far who has some commitment to the smallfolk. I'd also like to see Stannis as king, but he's clearly heading down a dark path (being the false Azor Ahai), and he wants to burn weirwoods and make everyone follow the Red God.

You have a good point about Dany's relation to the smallfolk, although I think Jon would be better in this, because he actually lived among Westerosi's smallfolk, unlike Dany who grew up in the Free Cities. RE: Stannis: In the last book, he didn't burn any weirwood. He followed Jon's advice to leave the Mountain Clans be and it worked. God, wow I really want to see Jon as Stannis's hand. Or the other way around (but i like the 1st one better).

Actually, in AFFC the common people were performing puppet shows where a dragon came and defeated the evil lion. So it would seem that they are hoping for a Targaryen ruler. And there was also the man in an Arya chapter in ACOK who claimed things were better under Aerys.

You know that the neighbor's grass is always greener? I don't buy somebody saying "the previous government was better" during a time of crisis. Anyway, my biggest problem with the Targs is that they AREN'T connected to the people they rule. Their whole "I'm cooler" attitude, which is why I like Egg - he actually lived with the people he later ruled.

The Targs are Valyrian and they WANTED to stay that way - hence the interbreeding, by which they didn't really "merge" with the people they rule. Dany is especially bad in this, because she's expecting to rule a country she doesn't know anything about. IF she wants to bee queen, she should become a little humbler.

You have a good point about Dany's relation to the smallfolk, although I think Jon would be better in this, because he actually lived among Westerosi's smallfolk, unlike Dany who grew up in the Free Cities. RE: Stannis: In the last book, he didn't burn any weirwood. He followed Jon's advice to leave the Mountain Clans be and it worked. God, wow I really want to see Jon as Stannis's hand. Or the other way around (but i like the 1st one better).

Fair point about Stannis. But I still wouldn't like to see Jon as king. Maybe as husband to Daenerys (with her on the Iron Throne), but I still think there are better things he could do. As much of a Jon fan as I am, I thought he was a bad Lord Commander. His decisions were good in theory, but he didn't inspire any loyalty and got himself assassinated. Dany almost got killed too, but the poison attempt was really stupid. The only reason she abandoned Meereen was to protect Drogon.

How unified may the smallfolk's desire be, when it comes to rulers? From what I have seen, the Ironborn don't believe in kowtowing to "foreigners", although on the other hand they don't seem to be big about social distinctions either. Neither does the North seem to be in any great urge to have a Targaryen ruler again. Nor Dorne.

The Westerlands, the Reach, King's Landing, the Vale and the Riverlands may well welcome a new Targaryen, however. Not sure about that, but those regions don't look too satisfied with their own rulers to me. For no good reason whatsoever, I feel that the Stormlands and Dragonstone aren't big about rulers in any way and don't much care who is in charge.

I really don't buy the "Targaryen madness" that so many seem to talk about. Aerys and Viserys were mad, yes, but those seem to have been because of their life experiences. Rhaegar, Rhaella and Rhaenys have never been described as mad. Young Griff hasn't been described as mad. Daenerys is compared to Rhaegar, who has been called everything but mad. And Jon (if he's a Targ), doesn't seem mad to me. Stannis, Robert and Renly also had Targ blood, and they aren't/weren't mad.

On the other hand, Joffrey, Cersei, Lysa, Gregor, etc. don't appear to have any Targ blood, and yet they were all quite clearly mad (although Lysa's was from her experiences, much like Aerys).

Exactly... Then if you read the Dunk and Egg stories, you will see that there were many Targaryens who were wildly loved like Baelor Breakspear and King Daeron the Good... Even King Aerys I was not mad. He was bookish and kept to himself and let Lord Bloodraven rule, but he wasn't mad by any means

Maester Aemon certainly wan't mad either, and he's arguably the wisest character in the series... and his brother Egg/Aegon V was by no means mad (at least he doesn't appear to be as a 10 year old)

Sure Aerion and Viserys and Aerys were mad, but they were no worse than the Joffreys of the world

Hell, even Aerys wasn't much worse Tywin Lannister. Aerys was going to burn the city down, but Tywin sacked a city he pretended to save and had his men rape and pillage and kill children

Fair point about Stannis. But I still wouldn't like to see Jon as king. Maybe as husband to Daenerys (with her on the Iron Throne), but I still think there are better things he could do. As much of a Jon fan as I am, I thought he was a bad Lord Commander. His decisions were good in theory, but he didn't inspire any loyalty and got himself assassinated. Dany almost got killed too, but the poison attempt was really stupid. The only reason she abandoned Meereen was to protect Drogon.

Just one question: how can you like Dany and dislike Jon as LC? I think they both did the same, big, mistake: understand the people they were ruling. Beside this, I think Jon did actually a pretty good job, and made some very competent decisions.. I can't say the same about Dany

EDIT:

I don't get the Targaryen hatred

because the Targs are dead, and all we're let with is Daenerys that, apart from not knowing ANYTHING about Westeros, is a superb hormon-driven teenager

Just one question: how can you like Dany and dislike Jon as LC? I think they both did the same, big, mistake: understand the people they were ruling. Beside this, I think Jon did actually a pretty good job, and made some very competent decisions.. I can't say the same about Dany

EDIT:

because the Targs are dead, and all we're let with is Daenerys that, apart from not knowing ANYTHING about Westeros, is a superb hormon-driven teenager

So you're saying Aegon is not a Targaryen?

Archived