College Football

Arakasi

[quote name='Triskele' post='1656416' date='Jan 21 2009, 01.30']ETA: For fuck's sake is that really Georgia out of conference? I mean, take anyone of those four away and it's still a brutal 3.[/quote]

I told everyone before this season that next years schedule would be tougher then this years and everyone said this years was the toughest in the country before the season. Starting the season at Oklahoma State with a new QB and RB will not be fun. At least Arizona State is at home. We also drop Alabama in favor of Arkansas which is nice. LSU is at home. A tough schedule.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1656057' date='Jan 20 2009, 17.44']Gotta give props to Georgia for what at first glance looks like the toughest non-conference schedule in the country: Arizona State, Georgia Tech, South Carolina and Oklahoma State. The big twelve has only a handful of teams that play just one team on par with those four[/quote]

As pointed out elsewhere, you are assuming that somehow Tennessee Tech will replace South Carolina in the SEC. Seems unlikely to me. :P

Edited to add - I'd say USC's compares pretty equally. SJSU, @ Ohio State, @ Notre Dame and a 9th Pac 10 game.

USC has a very tough schedule. Ohio State, Oregon, Arizona State, Cal and Notre Dame all on the road.

Anybody see this:

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/01/20/recruiting/index.html#?eref=T1"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...x.html#?eref=T1[/url]

Interesting read, which kind of clues you in to what programs have a natural advantage and what programs are doing less with more.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1658838' date='Jan 22 2009, 20.41']USC has a very tough schedule. Ohio State, Oregon, Arizona State, Cal and [s]Notre Dame[/s] all on the road.[/quote]
Fixed that ND weakens your case.

[quote name='Mike' post='1651545' date='Jan 16 2009, 14.43']Detroit needs to start on the offensive and defensive lines. Andre Smith and Michael Oher are two guys that could help immediately.

Or maybe they should take another receiver. Crabtree is going pro, I think.[/quote]
Of course O Line or D Line and given the 2 1st round picks they should be able to pick on of each. Of course we all know that isn't what they will do. I predict Percy Harvin or Crabtree.

[quote name='Celtigo' post='1659004' date='Jan 22 2009, 22.43']Anybody see this:

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/01/20/recruiting/index.html#?eref=T1"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...x.html#?eref=T1[/url]

Interesting read, which kind of clues you in to what programs have a natural advantage and what programs are doing less with more.[/quote]

Interesting read. WVU is only one of 9 teams with 50 or more wins from 2004-2008. Among those nine, it is only one (of two) in which less than 50% of its recruits come from in-state (an extremely low 7.9%). In fact, I read elsewhere that there are more players on WVU from the state of Florida than there are from West Virginia. Its a state with a little under 2 million people, we have to get most of our talent elsewhere and WVU's Florida recruiting connections are not new. But damn, talk about a sick amount of talent coming out of that state, fueling FSU, UF, Miami, USF and WVU. :lol:

Anyway, this kinda highlights why the RR thing pissed me off so much and why I was harder than maybe is reasonable on a first year coach that went 9-4 and won a bowl game. Its all about reputation at WVU, we have to maintain a reputation as a solid football program.

Hey, I like Morgantown and all, but if you want to convince a talented out of stater, especially a kid from Florida, to come live in the hills, and the cold, and the snow for 4 years you better have something on the table. And what we have on the table under the present system is an opportunity to win your conference and play in a BCS game every single year. That must not change or the well will dry up for a good long time. At the very least we need to be in legitimate contention for the Big East title every year until the last week or two. Any sort of set-back makes me wince becuase of what it takes to recruit a kid to play at West Virginia. Whether thats a beat down at the hands of ECU, RR's mudslinging, Stews Gomer Pyle-isms, or accusations of racism by an ex- offensive coordinator. Ugh just makes me cringe to think of the talent each slander or goofy comment or bad playcalling (or clock management) could cost us.

We're not quite where I want us to be yet, almost though, almost. A couple more good years and we'll be pushing a straight decade of solid ball, at that point you can start selling yourself on reputation becuase you'll be picking up kids that grew up thinking of WVU as a top tier program. All that said, I fear that next year will be bad. I have no idea what our O's gonna look like. Though we did have an extremely young D, so I think the D will hold its own.

Archived