World of Warcraft

TerraPrime

Luck varies.

I ran OK 3 times, on regular. I saw a total of 2 pieces of cloth drop. One I was out-rolled, the other was not an upgrade for me.

Granted, 3 runs is not much. So I am not complaining. Just saying that while the average might be better in WotLK than TBC, but individuals can still experience high level of suckage trying to gear up.

I'm on about 15 runs of regular HoL by now, seen the trinket once. One of our sub-80 ret pallies said he was going to respec prot at 80 and would I mind if he rolled. I replied "I'll only mind if you win". Which is intentionally rather vague. The other ret pally proceeded to roll and win without saying anything, and I had the misfortune to group with him again the other day now that he's 80 and he's certainly not prot.

Apparently he put me on his friends or something also because he's always sending me tells to tank stuff, as if I'd intentionally group with this 900 dps wonder who took my trinket. I just ignore him.

I'm almost 75, I have 2 blue tank pieces from loot drops right now. But loot doesnt really matter when I'm small and the healer and 2 others of the 5 are already 80.

I went on a big trip around the basin with my friend the 71 DK looking for Saronite last night, which was an adventure. He took down 77 mobs with no problem. The only thing that killed us was gravity, and that was because of Path of Frost.

[quote name='kurokaze' post='1614094' date='Dec 9 2008, 17.58']I'm on about 15 runs of regular HoL by now, seen the trinket once. One of our sub-80 ret pallies said he was going to respec prot at 80 and would I mind if he rolled. I replied "I'll only mind if you win". Which is intentionally rather vague. The other ret pally proceeded to roll and win without saying anything, and I had the misfortune to group with him again the other day now that he's 80 and he's certainly not prot.

Apparently he put me on his friends or something also because he's always sending me tells to tank stuff, as if I'd intentionally group with this 900 dps wonder who took my trinket. I just ignore him.[/quote]

Yeah, in the future, assert yourself and say that you're the tank in this case and this is a tank trinket, so you get dibs. You'll be glad to help them run this for drops in the future once they re-spec into prot. Then click "need." Any reasonable player will agree that off-spec takes second-place to main spec when it comes to rolling for drops.

I've done this before too - not say that I really want the gear when I do, and then get miffed that someone else rolls and wins it, because of some misplaced notion that saying I need this gear is loot-whoring. It can be, if abused. But for the most part, I know when a piece of cloth gear is more for healers, and I wouldn't roll for it. Nowadays, I pipe up to say I will need roll something if that's okay, and if someone else says they also want to need roll, I'll say ok only if I truly am ok. If they're using for offspec I will tell them to wait. They may not like it, but then, I don't like seeing gears for my upgrade going to people who won't use it, either. I think for classes with multiple specs, if they want to switch, they should be upfront to say that I'm running this to re-gear from bear to moonkin, so I would like to roll on caster gears. Or, better yet, get some friends to run dungeons for the purpose of re-gearing.

I lvled my ret pally to 80 last weekend, my warrior is almost lvl 77 at the moment. After i get done with my warrior i am gonna lvl my shammy who is 73 now, and after that i will lvl my dk who is 66 now. When i get done with these guys i am not gonna lvl anymore characters because imo four max lvl toons is probably stretching it a bit thin already. I can't wait for my warrior to get done because he is my blacksmith and those titan steel items are kinda nice. I am thinking about lvling engineering on my shammy so i can craft mechano hogs for all of my characters. With the sheer amount of epics that are getting handed out in wrath i think all of my characters should be purple from head to toe pretty soon. So far i must say that i am enjoying Wrath far more than i did Burning Crusade.

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1614151' date='Dec 9 2008, 20.01']Yeah, in the future, assert yourself and say that you're the tank in this case and this is a tank trinket, so you get dibs. You'll be glad to help them run this for drops in the future once they re-spec into prot. Then click "need." Any reasonable player will agree that off-spec takes second-place to main spec when it comes to rolling for drops.

I've done this before too - not say that I really want the gear when I do, and then get miffed that someone else rolls and wins it, because of some misplaced notion that saying I need this gear is loot-whoring. It can be, if abused. But for the most part, I know when a piece of cloth gear is more for healers, and I wouldn't roll for it. Nowadays, I pipe up to say I will need roll something if that's okay, and if someone else says they also want to need roll, I'll say ok only if I truly am ok. If they're using for offspec I will tell them to wait. They may not like it, but then, I don't like seeing gears for my upgrade going to people who won't use it, either. I think for classes with multiple specs, if they want to switch, they should be upfront to say that I'm running this to re-gear from bear to moonkin, so I would like to roll on caster gears. Or, better yet, get some friends to run dungeons for the purpose of re-gearing.[/quote]

I never go when people say "You can come, but you can't roll on X". A run doesn't need 2 tanks, so I'll DPS. But that doesn't mean I'm not rolling on tank gear.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1614198' date='Dec 9 2008, 20.15']I never go when people say "You can come, but you can't roll on X". A run doesn't need 2 tanks, so I'll DPS. But that doesn't mean I'm not rolling on tank gear.[/quote]

Guess we won't run instances together then.

Yeah, it goes both ways, TP. There are masses of tanks running HoL for this trinket. I'm not going to turn down a run if I have to go as DPS. That would be stupid. Of course, I tell the group beforehand that I'm going to roll on it, but it's better for me to run as DPS and risk both being booted at the start by people with your mindset and losing it to the tank, than to not run at all. And I'm not so engrossed in upgrading my pixels that I'm going to resort to the douchery of running as DPS and rolling but not letting others do the same if I'm running as a tank.

I must be in the minority of people who likes pugging. I've met some great people that way. I've only rarely run into the typical pughole or pugclown. My theory is that its all down to UBRS. Back in the day loads of us pugged UBRS everyday for whatever uber item we were grinding there. I ran it 42 times for my devout shoulders. Good times, mostly.

That being said, I did run into the 2 guys last night who ruin pugging for everyone. A fury warrior and a DK, brothers apparently, who were obviously epeening over DPS. They wiped us three times on Anub in AN Heroic because they just would not get out for the fucking pound. I want to cock punch them both. 4th time I saved bloodlust for their inevitable deaths, and the 3 of left alive pwnt the last add phase and made it a win.

PUGs do indeed almost always suck. :P I do so love healing a 22k HP tank in heroic Strath :P
Plus you always get the "omg heal" from somebody who insists on standing the huge poison cloud/fire/shadowblob/cleave and the DPS who ignores that adds are swarming the healer.

I've met some great people puging, but I guess the bad experiences stand out. My fave is still the PvP geared sub rogue who insisted on soloing mobs in heroic Underbog. :P We let him. :P It helped we had 4 guildies and him.

Anyways, I don't understand the belly-aching about Malygos phase 1 and the absolute need for CoH. I experimented some, and CoH during Vortex = oom. I tried to precast renew on people instead, and shields on the people with the smallest health pools (which is easy as it is myself :P ) and toss a ProM around. Plus some renews during the vortex itself. All in all, I hope Renew gets buffed to where it was in TBC: a very useful spell.

Also Sapphiron: Again, we did it with me casting CoH once and that is cos our shaman is a total mouthbreather who has the reaction time of a very large carrot. He died on Malygos from CLEAVE. I mean, cleave? The guy has some decent gear, but he tends to be one of those guys who stands in the fire/shadowblob on the floor/cleave.

I swear I heard the tank should "<name of shaman> MOOOOVE, you are gonna get cleaved. Move now please. Move!!" and then "shammy gets cleaved for 25k", "shammie dies". I face palmed so many times.

You'd think that after all these years, people would learn to not stand in the fire and not stand in front of Very Big Dragons.

On the other hand, our MT tank (who seems to be lazy northern chav) wiped us by standing in the shadow zones on Kel'Thuzad since he *had an itch* and needed to scratch it. While maintanking. *facepalm* :lol:

[quote]Yeah, it goes both ways, TP. There are masses of tanks running HoL for this trinket. I'm not going to turn down a run if I have to go as DPS.[/quote]

Ah, I wondered why everyone and their dog wants to run HoL. Now I know. :P

Got bribed into tanking a heroic last night by the random daily. So I ended up in Pinnacle again, where we one-shotted everything (despite taking far too long on the gauntlet; people need to pick up harpoons and use them, I can't what with being busy tanking things). Actually our boomkin died early (AoE'd too hard I guess, and my game often lags up when I gather the whole run and then a breath comes; need a new card). We managed to rez her... only for her to die again, probably in a breath. But most importantly, the Red Sword dropped, so I got my most major upgrade.

Unfortunately, due to this, I only got about a third of a level on my paladin. So for the next couple of days, it's jewelcrafting daily and one or two circuits of icecrown on the warrior, then paladinning. Perhaps, just perhaps, I'll drop by Storm Peaks since I haven't gotten to the repeatable Sons of Hodir quests yet.

[quote name='Soylent Brown' post='1614543' date='Dec 10 2008, 08.42']Oh, and re. the Hodir drake-spearing daily – I hate it with a passion.[/quote]

For me, the worst dailies are the one involving riding dragons for Wyrmrest rep. The interface is clunky and the camera-following set up is ghastly. The one in Coldarra is a tedious exercise of keeping the HoT at 5 ticks, hit with 2 fire bolts, one press of the '2' key, rinse and repeat.

I should just skip them I guess and get rep from running level 80 instances with a Wyrmrest tabard on.

Re: Lyanna

I remember that rogue. :lol: Good times.

Also, in other news, I fail at WoW. We did not finish the event in H-HoL. Partly our AoE (me) was too weak. Partly it is the tank's AoE threat was weak (DK). Partly it is the tank had slow reflexes and got burned to a crisp by the laser-beams-of-death. We tried like 10 times and gave up. Got only 1 badge out of almost 2 hours.

So at this point, I have yet to complete heroic. *emos*

After that, I re-did my spec and now I'm 53/10/8. I wish the demon tree were more synergistic with afflic though. I'm getting better at the curse rotation, but it is definitely a lot tighter to play than a huntard. My problem is in keeping the DoTs up because a lot of the spells have cast times, and if you move around during fights, it's very difficult to keep DoTs up continuously, and if you don't, you nerf your dps. It also takes time to set up a full stack (7 spells) on a boss. I am using a haste trinket that I pop at the beginning of fights to get the stack up faster. The lack of a fast-casting single-target dmg spell in the afflic spec is really bad for handling some adds, though, like the case with the priestess in OK that summons a person to walk to her. Most of my damage is DoT and there's just not enough time in those cases. The bonus of afflic spec now, however, is Haunt, which heals. In the H-HoL event I think my Siphon Life and Haunt and Fel Armor healed me quite a bit and made the healer's job a little easier. I do wish we had a 2 min CD instead of 5 on Soul Shatter, however. Oh, also, while I'm wishing, an AoE Curse. :P

[quote]I must say that pugging on Argent Dawn EU was a LOT easier to do than pugging on QD.[/quote]

I would believe that. Its probably easier than on a lot of different servers I've played on.

I've only had occasional issues with PuGs. Usually their just "Ok" and occasionally their great. One pug I was in stuck together for lik 5-6 hours or something on a saturday afternoon. We started in Halls of Stone, then went to the Occulus, cleared that twice, then hit Halls of Lightning, then Utgaurd Pinnacle twice then hit Culling of Strathholme and then the healer had to leave finally.

The only thing I can think is my server is OLD (it's a launch server) and it's one of those medium pop ones that never gets transfers either to or from and doesn't attract a ton of new players, so it's the same old people alot of the time.

Archived