Excellent Computer Game

Merentha

Well, I do have news. Apparently, Hobbie and rugger## had been continuing to work on the mod, and last weekend rugger gave word that Hobbie would release during that time, but nothing came of it. PMs and emails to Hobbie have been fruitless. What that means, I don't know.

Presumably, there is a large update to the core game very close to completion, one with several months of work. Usually the longer between updates, the more substantial the changes (the last really long one gave us the entire modding system, for example), but we shall see. One thing that will not be included are formations, news which prompted much complaining and fighting on the forums.

Imagine how amazing this game will be when you can fight against other humans.

Another topic of debate. I would actually prefer to keep it single player or allied LAN only. Its all rather moot, as revamping the code would basically require a remake of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the game....Its soooo addictive. Its probably one of the most realistic hack and slash games ive ever played on the PC. The only thing it lacks is a plot, and some depth. The game really has no story going on, and besides the world is very bland. However that still hasn't kept me from playing this game hours on end. If the guys who made this met up with some big time game producers i think theyd have a truely amazing game. If it were online it would be rediculously fun. Definately worth the 14 bucks. Try it out for free first though.

• 2 weeks later...
Vanilla's all right, but go to the forums (link at www.taleworlds.com) and find the "Last Days" mod. Adds a lot of depth, a lot of variety, set in Middle Earth.

I've been playing M&B for quite a while now, but vanilla got boring some time ago. Then I picked Last Days up, and wow! What an experience. I have no need for other LoTR games now, that's for sure.

Anyway, I have some experience modding - I am currently working as project leader for a major Oblivion mod called Dark Brotherhood Chronicles, but I don't actually spend much time on it, just swinging the whip as needed. So I'd like to hear some more details of this mod if possible? I might be able to help a bit. In any case, I'd absolutely love to see a asoiaf mod for M&B.

And for whoever said that people move very slowly - just invest some skill points in atletics and you'll soon run way faster.

Khamul, its very possible. There is a very long thread on two different ways to take the mod- one as a continental battlefield between all factions, which requires less scripting but far more graphics work, or a more detailed, Storymod-esque version focused on the Riverlands. If you poke around the forums it should be easy enough to find the thread.

If anyone wants to seriously work on a mod, learn python scripting. Skinning is always good too. I've been tinkering around with the module system for a while now and it's surprisingly easy to get into. I even have a very basic westeros mod in the works. Nothing spectacular so far--with the new version of M&B coming out soon I'm a little hesitant to make any big changes, so everything is pretty cosmetic. Right now I have a new map, some new units, factions, and a couple of new items.

I'm still learning, but eventually I hope to get rid of all the placeholders and learn some higher level coding. I think a mod like this deserves more than just a reskin.

It's still focused around the Riverlands, but now the North is in there too. I couldn't pass up on the ironmen potential. The playable areas of the map stretch from about the Dreadfort to King's Landing, minus the Vale and the westerlands:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/BigwigML/westeros.png

The gameplay isn't very far from vanilla M&B so far, as you're still basically running around killing enemy parties and all that. I'm hoping to include some more dialogue-driven mechanics later... like, for instance, being able to join the goldcloaks and do various missions around King's Landing. I'm just hoping that I'm not biting off more than I can chew when I say that, as there are still a few things I need to learn about python coding. Thankfully the module system is very flexible.

As for the story, I decided to set it at around the time of a Clash of Kings. The player starts off as a freerider trying to find their fortune amongst the war. All the factions are at the height of their military power, the Riverlands are being torn apart by raiders and outlaws, broken men are everywhere, and the clans are making a comeback in the mountains of the moon. Meanwhile, the North is being attacked by ironmen reavers, and Manderly and Hornwood skirmishers are fighting against Bolton forces. Tons of conflict and tons of opportunities for quests and storylines. It's just a matter of coding it all in.

If anyone has any suggestions, go ahead. I'm new to this whole modding thing.

Hell, even Vanilla M&B with ASOIAF flair to it would be nice... I'm not a modder/coder/scripter or graphics junkie, but if you need help with concept/design/balance/content, let me know. :) I GM'd for years, mostly building campaign worlds... this seems largely similar.

It sounds like you're on the right track... the map looks great, and the timing sounds good.

If possible, I would start just before ACoK... as a freerider, you start at level 0. If the war's already started, you'll have bands of broken men and bandits everywhere... it'll be too dangerous. I'd start slightly before, as tensions are rising but open warfare hasn't started. There'll be some standard banditry to hunt down, along with whatever faction missions you might include. That should be enough, along with tourney combats, to gain initial levels. Then, once a certain point is hit, open warfare breaks out. ... similar to Last Days, huh?

One option, if modding allows it, would be to let some factions, like the Vale, stay neutral in the conflict... however, a PC with enough Vale reputation might be able to 'buy' the Vale's entry on one side or the other... same with the Iron Islands. (Though with the latter, they might enter at some point on their own... for instance if one faction's strength drops too low, Pyke attacks them)

Keep us posted.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, I gave M&B a try and absolutely hated it. Maybe they've updated it since I last played, but when I played it I was literally bored to tears. Everything moved slowly (not my computer, the walk speed was slow) and the graphics were lacking. For what they're working with it's probably a good game, but it just doesn't hold my interest. :/

I gotta say, I gave M&B a try and absolutely hated it. Maybe they've updated it since I last played, but when I played it I was literally bored to tears. Everything moved slowly (not my computer, the walk speed was slow) and the graphics were lacking. For what they're working with it's probably a good game, but it just doesn't hold my interest. :/

The story is definitely undeveloped (although I like the parallels to Anglo Saxon/Normans with Vaegir/Swadian). Most of the game is a standard RPG, nothing innovative. It is only the combat mode that is the best I've ever seen, other than Die by the Sword. I've also used a battle size changer to have battles with over 100 men on the screen. If you don't enjoy that type of gaming combat I can definitely see you finding the overall game boring. I have a very good graphics card and with max settings it does have great graphics and gore (in combat mode). You also have to make sure you aren't encumbered or too heavily armoured as that will make moving around in combat mode slow and you can get stunlocked by a bandit with a dagger =D

Archived