Calendar - Signed with Invisible Ink?

Given

The day that GRRM announced the calendars on his blog, I paid $55 for a "signed" copy by GRRM. The calendar arrived today (even though I'd been told they were shipping in November). Unless GRRM signed it with invisible ink, there was no signature. The letter that came with the calendar mentioned a few goodies that would be coming in early 2009, but nothing about the lack of a signature on the calendar.

This is pretty unprofessional. Anyone else order a "signed" copy?

PayPal Shopping Cart Contents
Item Name: 2009 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar - [b]SIGNED by GRRM[/b]
Item Number: 18
Quantity: 1
Total: $49.99 USD

Cart Subtotal: $49.99 USD
Shipping: $5.95 USD
Sales Tax:
Cart Total: $55.94 USD

I bought one of the special signed copies also. The $50+ one. If it arrived today I need to check my parents place. I had moved recently. But I'll let yah know when I get mine.

**EDIT TO ADD**

Odd, I was curious as to my Paypal transaction info also. As something in yours hit me. I read through it. I also have item#18...I wonder if the item number is a generic number for one of Dabels products online. Like each kind of product has a specific order number.

Shopping Cart Contents

Qty Item Options Price
1 2009 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar - SIGNED by GRRM
Item # 18 $49.99 USD
Amount $49.99 USD

Date:
Aug. 22, 2008
Time:
19:02:36 PDT
Completed

[quote name='Given' post='1628074' date='Dec 22 2008, 14.30']The day that GRRM announced the calendars on his blog, I paid $55 for a "signed" copy by GRRM. The calendar arrived today (even though I'd been told they were shipping in November). Unless GRRM signed it with invisible ink, there was no signature. The letter that came with the calendar mentioned a few goodies that would be coming in early 2009, but nothing about the lack of a signature on the calendar.

This is pretty unprofessional. Anyone else order a "signed" copy?

PayPal Shopping Cart Contents
Item Name: 2009 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar - [b]SIGNED by GRRM[/b]

Cart Subtotal: $49.99 USD
Sales Tax:
Cart Total: $55.94 USD[/quote]

I bought both. The item numbers are indeed different, but Ned Stark is on each and the UPC codes on the calendars are identical. No Jon Snow, no autograph.
[quote name='"mine"']Item Name: 2009 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar - Limited Variant Cover
Item Number: 19

Total: $24.99 USD

Item Name: 2009 A Song of Ice and Fire Calendar - SIGNED by GRRM

Cart Subtotal: $74.98 USD
Sales Tax:
Cart Total: $80.93 USD[/quote]
Anyone want to upload the letter they attached to the emails, so folks sitting on the fence can decide if the "special edition" experience is preferable to just buying from Amazon.com? Apparently, the upscale calendars we purchased at two or three times the regular price sport an exclusive UPC code 79357348173320001! (This is not to be confused with the UPC codes on the mundane regular editions sold elsewhere)

:unsure: I'm sensing a "rushed out the door" issue here. It would have been preferable to tough it out and be honest if the printers messed up or George didn't have time to sign rather than ship these and offer some vague promise of future goodies down the road (assuming they're still in business in three months and didn't just do this to get one last check before closing the doors). The pictures are great, but service not so much.

If someone from Dabel Brothers could chime in and clarify the situation, that would be much appreciated.

I ordered a special edition one at the beginning of December (not a signed one, but the variant cover with the special drawings inside). I emailed them last week to ask if it was being shipped soon as I would have liked it by Christmas as it's a present for someone, and the next day (Fri) it said it had been shipped, but I probably still won't get it in time as tomorrow's Christmas Eve but maybe by some streak of luck it will get here that quickly.

I will be majorly annoyed if it is the ordinary calendar as I payed twice the price! I'll let you know when it arrives ...

Looks like I'm not the only one having issues here. It's highly embarrassing not only for DB, but also for GRRM. He is the one that was supposed to sign these highly expensive calendars, and he didn't. Obviously the fault lies with DB, but that's not how some will view it. Incompetence all around. If I don't get an answer from DB soon I am going to lodge a formal complaint to get refunded via Paypal.

[quote name='Given' post='1629105' date='Dec 23 2008, 16.46']Looks like I'm not the only one having issues here. It's highly embarrassing not only for DB, but also for GRRM. He is the one that was supposed to sign these highly expensive calendars, and he didn't. Obviously the fault lies with DB, but that's not how some will view it. Incompetence all around. If I don't get an answer from DB soon I am going to lodge a formal complaint to get refunded via Paypal.[/quote]

Havent recieved my signed with special goodies calendar yet. I'm going to give it another week, see what more news hits the board, then I'll send an email to DB. Personally i do not like getting half of what I actually paid for, which Ive had paid for months ago.

*note* I never recieved a confirmation email as to my order. I had to rely on Paypal. Poor way to do that. And have yet, if it will ever happen, a shipping confirm email. And yes I check my junk mail.

Im giving some benefit of the doubt right now.

How are you guys seeing this information on Paypal? My paypal email and my paypal account only show the amount that I paid DB, it gives no details of what I bought. Can anyone tell me am I missing something?

I did get an email from DB and that just says:

Date Wed Dec 3 00:09:02 PST 2008
Via Ground (5-7 days)
Payment PayPal
Name Code Qty Each Options
2009 A Song of Ice and 2009-ASOIAF 1 24.99
Fire Calendar
Subtotal 24.99
Shipping 6.00
Total 30.99

So it doesn't show this item number you're talking about, nor the 'Limited Edition' bit.

I also noticed that now on their website they have the picture of Ned Stark. But at the time that I bought it, the picture with Ned Stark was the Amazon one for 14.99 and the DB one had Jon Snow as the variant cover for 24.99. I also paid the extra for Jon Snow, but also for the additional sketches from the artist's formative work.

DB haven't responded yet to my email, to apologise for the delay in shipping. And if it doesn't come this afternoon, someone's getting a very dodgy hand-drawn replica for Christmas tomorrow!

[quote name='morningsword' post='1629182' date='Dec 23 2008, 18.17']How are you guys seeing this information on Paypal? My paypal email and my paypal account only show the amount that I paid DB, it gives no details of what I bought. Can anyone tell me am I missing something?

I did get an email from DB and that just says:

Date Wed Dec 3 00:09:02 PST 2008
Via Ground (5-7 days)
Payment PayPal
Name Code Qty Each Options
2009 A Song of Ice and 2009-ASOIAF 1 24.99
Fire Calendar
Subtotal 24.99
Shipping 6.00
Total 30.99

So it doesn't show this item number you're talking about, nor the 'Limited Edition' bit.

I also noticed that now on their website they have the picture of Ned Stark. But at the time that I bought it, the picture with Ned Stark was the Amazon one for 14.99 and the DB one had Jon Snow as the variant cover for 24.99. I also paid the extra for Jon Snow, but also for the additional sketches from the artist's formative work.

DB haven't responded yet to my email, to apologise for the delay in shipping. And if it doesn't come this afternoon, someone's getting a very dodgy hand-drawn replica for Christmas tomorrow![/quote]

If you used paypal to pay. Go into your account history and look at your activity within the year. Find the Dabel bros stuff and click on "details"

At the top mine has a unique transaction ID number to help me in the least. In the details if you check under shopping cart contents youll find the item number

Same issue...paid for the 'Deluxe Edition' (autograph, extras/bonuses), and received the standard calendar today. I e-mailed Dabel immediately; they indicated there was a problem with the printer that did not allow them to timely get the calendars to GRRM for his signature. They indicated that they made a decision to send something rather than nothing, and gave assurances that they would send the aforementioned 'Deluxe Edition' at a later time, at a loss to them (essentially, we will get two calendars for the price of one, albeit the 'Deluxe Edition' will be later, along with the bonus material). Not a perfect solution, granted, but at least they will try to make it right....

[quote name='Wolfheart' post='1629224' date='Dec 24 2008, 10.06']If you used paypal to pay. Go into your account history and look at your activity within the year. Find the Dabel bros stuff and click on "details"

At the top mine has a unique transaction ID number to help me in the least. In the details if you check under shopping cart contents youll find the item number[/quote]
Thanks Wolfheart, I found the unique transaction ID number but there's no shopping cart contents section anywhere, even after clicking on the details links. So that's what I'm missing. Well at least I can show I payed the amount for the limited edition one, even though it seems now I'm not going to get it until maybe March! That's if, from what I can make out, they have not only not printed them in time to get GRRM's signature on the normal covers, but they haven't done the extra printing of the variant covers.

Still, a simple email to all concerned to let them know they wouldn't be receiving what they've paid for would have been nice.

The Dabels are working on a FAQ to explain some of these points, and should be posting it soon. Suffice it to say, the explanation that they gave Winter's Bane is right on -- the combination of a late artist and a late printer meant they couldn't get them signed, but they will make good by sending out signed calendars as soon as they can get them.

[quote name='Winter's Bane' post='1629279' date='Dec 23 2008, 20.23']Same issue...paid for the 'Deluxe Edition' (autograph, extras/bonuses), and received the standard calendar today. I e-mailed Dabel immediately; they indicated there was a problem with the printer that did not allow them to timely get the calendars to GRRM for his signature. They indicated that they made a decision to send something rather than nothing, and gave assurances that they would send the aforementioned 'Deluxe Edition' at a later time, at a loss to them (essentially, we will get two calendars for the price of one, albeit the 'Deluxe Edition' will be later, along with the bonus material). Not a perfect solution, granted, but at least they will try to make it right....[/quote]

Yes, at least thats an honest solution and responsible turn to make it right. Business's that actually do that are worth still being a consumer to.

I have been a long time DB customer. Sadly, DB has had a string of bad luck with printers and artists over the last two years. This might be in part because they are a smaller company and don't have as much weight or pull as the big boys. Or maybe its a lack of planning on their part. Be that as it may, they ALWAYS produce quality items and I have never been disappointed in the end. Patience is truly a virtue when dealing with them, but they always fulfill and usually its at their expense. Ernst and Les are quality guys and truly are fans of comics and the industry. If you are a collector like myself, just wait. It will be worth it.

BH

[quote name='Blackfyre Heir' post='1629821' date='Dec 24 2008, 15.36']I have been a long time DB customer. Sadly, DB has had a string of bad luck with printers and artists over the last two years. This might be in part because they are a smaller company and don't have as much weight or pull as the big boys. Or maybe its a lack of planning on their part. Be that as it may, they ALWAYS produce quality items and I have never been disappointed in the end. Patience is truly a virtue when dealing with them, but they always fulfill and usually its at their expense. Ernst and Les are quality guys and truly are fans of comics and the industry. If you are a collector like myself, just wait. It will be worth it.

BH[/quote]

That is slightly understandable. But moving on to a more reputable printing company would be a wiser move, and since they commision the artists. They should be on the artists butts about getting it done by deadlines, with few exceptions. I havent been disappointed with their products just their customer service and customer handling and confirm order info's. I'll give them they at least make good on mistakes, thats if they have record of your order...bs

By the way did anyone ever recieve a order confirmation in their email when they made their purchase( This excludes any Paypal stuff), Im talking directly to your email? Also did anyone also recieve the tracking number and shipping information of said order when they said they had.

For those that had not recieved those confirms, what online email service do you use? I want to see if there is any common thread to this issue.

heres the FAQ from Dabel Brothers site... it answers all your questions.
[url="http://www.dabelbrothers.com/index.php?categoryid=16&p2_articleid=35"]http://www.dabelbrothers.com/index.php?cat...p2_articleid=35[/url]

The Calendar is beautiful btw. Everyone will get it what they paid for so why is everyone complaining?
The cover switch is bad business but really, why does it matter whats on the cover? You still get both images in the calendar, and both are suitable for framing when the year is over if you want. I only ordered the special one for the bonus material. Yeah also bad business we don't get that bonus stuff til March, but thats because it will be prints from the 2010 calendar and its not done yet. So it'll be an extra little treat come March.

[quote]By the way did anyone ever recieve a order confirmation in their email when they made their purchase( This excludes any Paypal stuff), Im talking directly to your email? Also did anyone also recieve the tracking number and shipping information of said order when they said they had. For those that had not recieved those confirms, what online email service do you use? I want to see if there is any common thread to this issue.[/quote]

The only confirmation I received was my Paypal confirmation when I made the original order. Nothing from Dabel. No tracking number, shipping info, nada.

[quote]Everyone will get it what they paid for so why is everyone complaining?[/quote]

Can't speak for everyone else, but I paid $55 for a calendar that was supposed to be signed by GRRM and arrive in November. What I got was an unsigned calendar that arrived in late December with absolutely no explanation included as to why it wasn't signed. If you ordered a signed Tom Brady football, and it came without a signature or any explanation as to why it wasn't signed, would you be happy? Ish don't think so. Customers shouldn't have to root around on the internet in order to find answers to why their "signed" item arrived unsigned.

Archived