Weight loss/Dieting Thread

Adelle Tully

Ran the Illinois Marathon yesterday in Campaign-Urbana finishing in 3:21:34. The bad news is I missed my goal time of 3:20, the good news is I took 10 minutes (exactly) off my previous best. I was on target until mile 23 where I just ran out of energy; even though my legs felt ok I was getting dizzy if I tried to push the pace. Ah well, more long runs for next time around in the fall (And this time I won't have to deal with snow and ice).

As far as the marathon went, it was extremely well organized and I would definitely recommend it. I had a lot of fun and the volunteers, food, and everything else was great.

whoa, good work, and that's a great time for a marathon!

about five AM today I had Jack in the Box. At that hour, I tend to be especially susceptible to advertising, so I thought to myself, "TWO fish fillets for $3, what a deal!" Something came over me where fish fillet was the only thing I wanted in the whole world right then. Today I look up the nutrition info and it was over 1300 calories and 72 grams of fat. :ack:

ETA, that in terms of [i]what have you learned, Dorothy[/i]? I learned that if I don't want a binge to turn into total diet failure, it helps to quantify exactly how bad it was. Look the problem dead in the face, acknowledge it, and move on.

[quote name='Chataya de Venoge' post='1752822' date='Apr 12 2009, 10.15']And since you live in Atlanta, too, you've probably seen the leather look of the Ladies Who Play Tennis. They're 30 and look 50.[/quote]

You should see archaeologists. Oh man. I actually once had a girl putting sunblock on my back who said my skin felt like cow leather. And I put mega-sunblock on every day. Yikes.

Played football today. Actually, it was only catch, since most people bailed. But we did it for an hour, and my thowing arm is really sore, but I learned how to (sort of) drop kick. I'm afraid I won't be able to lift my right hand to shoulder height tomorrow, but oh well, it was fun AND exercise.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1752561' date='Apr 12 2009, 03.56']I benched 225 today. :)

not a ton for a good sized guy with decent upper body strength, but for me it's pretty good. the key was widening my grip a little so I use more chest and less arm.[/quote]

Nice lift man. 225 is more than 95% of people can bench!

Im maxing on all my lifts next week. Hoping to hit 440-450 squat, 300-315 bench and 550-560 deadlift.

[quote name='Eponine' post='1752949' date='Apr 12 2009, 13.33']Great marathon time! What kind of training plan did you use?[/quote]

It's called the "Run the crap out of the high school track team you coach to get them ready for spring" training plan. :thumbsup:

In all honesty, we've been running pretty hard since December: A typical winter week was mostly base runs of 6-8 miles with 1 tempo run and one long repeats (miles, kilometers or 800s) with short rest. We had one long day which I started at 14 and they started at 8 and we worked our ways up to 20 and 13, with a 3 or 4 mile cut back every other week once we got past 17 and 11.

Since mid February we've been doing one day of hills, one day of speed work (repeat 400s and 800s, ladders (800-600-400-200, with mile tempo in between), with some shorter runs (4-7) and a longer one (9-10). I've still been doing the long runs 18-20 every other week before starting to taper in mid-March.

We've also been doing a rather intense core workout 2 or 3 times a week that I would be happy to send you. The great thing about it is there is no equipment necessary, the draw back is it takes awhile (30-40 minutes). I swear the reason I didn't break down entirely and was still able to run 8:20s after mile 23 was all the core I did. And finally some hurdle drills that are more for track runners than marathoners.

Looking back, I would have made sure my long runs on the cut back were around 15-16 instead of dropping them to 10 in February and did a couple more really long ones (18-20 range). But, overall I think the training went pretty well.

IP: Yeah, I felt a little disappointed when I realized I wasn't going to make it, but the more I think about the race the more pleased I am. I had to drop a pacer who was going too slowly and go it my own, I was able to hold myself together and still finish with some decent miles and 10 minutes off is pretty damn good. :D In addition, my legs feel pretty good today, so I think the strength is there, I just need to up my milage a bit for next time (which I enjoy much more than interval training anyway).

Down 5 pounds so far and have not changed much!

A question to all the ladies out there though... Gained most of my weight when I tried a new form of birth control, consequently a lot of the weight gain was in my breasts. As I have started to loss weight they are looking a little defeated, is there a way to lose weight with out watching my breast deflate like balloon with a small hole in it?

edit: because of and or are very different words.

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1753564' date='Apr 13 2009, 14.52']Down 5 pounds so far and have not changed much!

A question to all the ladies out there though... Gained most of my weight when I tried a new form or birth control, consequently a lot of the weight gain was in my breasts. As I have started to loss weight they are looking a little defeated, is there a way to lose weight with out watching my breast deflate like balloon with a small hole in it?[/quote]

Nope! Sorry! Breasts are mainly fat so once you start losing fat all over, your puppies run away too. Unless you are in that special class of people whose breasts lose fat only after drastic weight loss.

You can however help your girls out by working your pectoral muscles, which will help make them a bit perkier. Bench presses or chest presses are going to be your go-to exercises. If you're not sure you can do those, start with pushups.

[quote name='Chataya de Venoge' post='1753679' date='Apr 13 2009, 16.03']You'll have perkier pecs if you work those muscles, but that won't save you from the "deflated" look in your breasts.

Fortunately, doctors have saline and silicone options avaliable to revitalize this area :)[/quote]

Ain't nothin' a good breast lift can't fix, am I right?

Schnee's already agreed not to stop me if I want a breast lift after I'm done with having kids. I'm looking at my chest now, and the post-pregnancy prognosis is not looking all that great.

[quote name='Seventh Pup' post='1753678' date='Apr 13 2009, 13.02']Suck![/quote]

er, I beg to differ with my female counterparts upthread. don'tcha think there's a reason why guys spend so much time in the gym working chest/ back? women aren't that different to where they can't reshape their bods if they want to.

If I was a female answering this question (since you solicited women's advice, I can't answer in my official capacity) I'd suggest weight training focusing on upper pectorals (to give the girls a little lift) and lats (yer back) to keep your posture straight.

Some examples in the gym would be the incline press, using either dumbells or barbell; pec flys, and for your back, low rows using either the cable pully or dumbells. The lat pulldown is also key and helps produce the nice v-shape shoulders- waist that people love.

just some thoughts. ;)

ETA, sorry Chats, I just reread and saw you talking about some pec exercises too. cheers

Ugh, sorry if this is TMI for some guys but I'm battling hormones right now. It sucks that I am going along fine, eating right, exercising, and then bam! I just want to eat, eat, eat! I had to run out and get some snacks this morning, I thought I was going to starve. I'm heading to the store after work to get healthy snacks for tomorrow, but right now, I'm too hungry to work out when I get home. I hate this! :mad:

Seventh, I understand the frustration, it sucks loosing out of your boobs right away. I wish I could make it come out of my tummy and thigh and keep the weight in my boobs.

Archived