Weight loss/Dieting Thread

Adelle Tully

Ok here goes:

Start weight: 205
Current: 199
Target: 185
Height: 5' 10''
Sex: Male

The target weight it close to what i weighed in high school. I've gained weight steadily since going to college thanks to poor eating and no longer playing varsity sports year round. During the summer, I started running 25 to 30 miles per week, which explains the recent progress. However, during the fall, law school started back up (I'm a 2L) and exercise was drastically reduced (though I did play some soccer). Next semester, I want to get a grip on my appetite find a sustainable exercise regime. Traditionally, I do cardio only, but I'd like to come up with a way to work in some mild anaerobic work.

Is there anything available as an alternate to bacon, LP? I know bacon is quite tasty, and the pig is a magical animal, but it may be best to give it up for a little while. And what about substituting whole wheat bread in for potatoes instead?

[quote name='Minaku' post='1640521' date='Jan 7 2009, 10.21']Is there anything available as an alternate to bacon, LP? I know bacon is quite tasty, and the pig is a magical animal, but it may be best to give it up for a little while. And what about substituting whole wheat bread in for potatoes instead?[/quote]

I'm staying in hotels this week... so not really. When I'm home I only eat Magical Canadian bacon (isn't everything Canadian magical), if I eat magic pig at all. Usually it is non-fat Turkey. As for the bread-wheat bread isn't really much better unless it is whole grain-so I skip it altogether since they don't usually have that. I only had 1/2 cup of the potatoes, just for *some* carbs so it really wasn't much at all.

I'm moving to a different hotel tonight though-and I don't think they serve breakfast at all so I will probably be down with nutri-breakfast bars for the next 2 days for breakfast. Oh... but wait--tomorrow is my cheat day so I will be finding a full on magically pig meal somewhere before work! :D

[quote name='Lucky Pierre' post='1640528' date='Jan 7 2009, 10.26']I'm staying in hotels this week... so not really. When I'm home I only eat Magical Canadian bacon (isn't everything Canadian magical), if I eat magic pig at all. Usually it is non-fat Turkey. As for the bread-wheat bread isn't really much better unless it is whole grain-so I skip it altogether since they don't usually have that. I only had 1/2 cup of the potatoes, just for *some* carbs so it really wasn't much at all.

I'm moving to a different hotel tonight though-and I don't think they serve breakfast at all so I will probably be down with nutri-breakfast bars for the next 2 days for breakfast. Oh... but wait--tomorrow is my cheat day so I will be finding a full on magically pig meal somewhere before work! :D[/quote]

Just think of all the things pigs provide us - bacon, roasts, pork belly, crackle, pig knuckles, chops, I could go on forever. Magical animal indeed.

My carbs in the morning come from oatmeal. Good thing I like oatmeal.

Mexal, I don't know quite as much about gaining weight since uh, I've never had a problem with doing so, but sure, why not. What are your goals?

[quote name='Mexal' post='1640523' date='Jan 7 2009, 11.22']What about if I want to gain weight? Can I discuss that here too?[/quote]
Be careful. About five years ago my goal was to gain weight. Well, I gained it, and now I'm trying to lose some of it.

[quote name='Minaku' post='1640545' date='Jan 7 2009, 10.41']Mexal, I don't know quite as much about gaining weight since uh, I've never had a problem with doing so, but sure, why not. What are your goals?[/quote]

I'm not entirely sure. At the moment, I'm 6' and weigh about 150 lbs. I'd like to get that up to around 170 if possible.

I'm not really motivated which has always been my problem. But it's a new year so...

[quote name='Nichole' post='1640556' date='Jan 7 2009, 10.51']Oh, Minaku, I made the sweet potato oven fries last night and they were yummy![/quote]

Yay! I'm glad you liked them! Used to make them every day, but then I got lazy, will probably be making them again next week.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1640553' date='Jan 7 2009, 10.50']I'm not entirely sure. At the moment, I'm 6' and weigh about 150 lbs. I'd like to get that up to around 170 if possible.[/quote]
That what happens when you say that you HATE CHOCOLATE! Just overcome your hatred and you'll gain your 20 lbs without any problem. :) Renee Zelweger and Charlize Theron (when they needed to gain weight for the part) ate donuts everyday. :)

I usually avoid these threads like the plague, but I need to get serious about weight loss and exercise again, so here goes:

Start Weight: 185 lbs
Current: 185 lbs
Target 160 lbs
Height: 5'-9"
Current BMI: 27.3
Target BMI: 23

Yeah, it doesn't seem like 25 lbs is a whole lot to lose, but it is for me. I have three major things going against me:

1. I hardly do any exercise any more and this kills me. I use to run track/cross country and do karate in HS. At 18, I was 120 lbs and very skinny. I don't want to be that thin again, but I want to get back to the weight when I was at my healthiest (age 25 or so), when I was more active (hiking, swimming, etc.). I've tried to start an exercise regimen repeatedly over the years and always failed miserably due to laziness. For me, it's completely a mental thing and I need to get over the "hump" and make exercise routine again. My "problem" is time or lack thereof. I put "problem" in quotes because I know it's not an excuse... if something's important enough, you make time for it.

2. Vegetarian diet. Conventional wisdom says vegetarians tend to be healthier, but I know this to be a myth, especially for Indian vegetarians. Most of our veggies are prepared in oil or ghee, which is bad. We try to use "good" oils like olive and canola, but oil is oil. And since we eat no meat, we tend to overload on carbs - pasta, rice and potatoes are the big culprits. Being vegetarian also means that following any particular diet is that much harder to follow (South Beach or anything like that.)

3. Office lunches. My workplace is a pretty tight-knit group of friends and we happen to work in one of those towns that has a great downtown area with lots of food options. While this means we never ever eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell, it also means we tend to eat at real restaurants with lots of fatty or carb-y dishes. And because we're a close group, we tend to eat together. We try to bring food in from home sometimes, which helps a lot (especially with $$), but lunch is a time when we all can kind of just relax and hang out and it's hard to give that up.

Like I said, I don't really need to lose a HUGE amount of weight. Mostly it's all in my gut. Like my dad, I'm developing a significant potbelly while the rest of me is relatively ok. If I can get rid of my gut, I'll be happy. Also, despite the fact that we eat out a lot and eat Indian food, I still make an effort to eat healthily where I can. I always choose whole grain options when possible and I drink mostly water. Very rarely, I'll have a soda or iced tea, but we don't keep any of that stuff in the house or the office. I'm a firm believer in a sensible diet and eating everything in moderation, so I think my strategy will be to focus more on exercise - which I'm not doing AT ALL right now - and just make minor changes to my diet.

So this morning I got up an hour earlier than usual and began my "wellness" program. I started with about 20 min. of yoga, then another 20 min. of calisthenics. I'll continue this every day (as much as I can), and start including a running program on Sunday. I'm going to start the "Couch Potato to 10K" program which, for those that don't know, is a progressive running program that starts off light and builds up. I think that'll help me with my problem of getting over the exercise "hump". I think in the past, since I used to be an athlete, I would start a program too strongly and then get overwhelmed by it. If I start light and progressively crank it up, I think this time, I can do better.

Wish me luck.

[quote name='UltimateIceQueen' post='1640577' date='Jan 7 2009, 11.08']That what happens when you say that you HATE CHOCOLATE! Just overcome your hatred and you'll gain your 20 lbs without any problem. :) Renee Zelweger and Charlize Theron (when they needed to gain weight for the part) ate donuts everyday. :)[/quote]

I eat so many carbs it's not even funny. I don't think I eat enough protein and I don't go to the gym. I think if I did those things, I might overcome my ridiculously fast metabolism. Then again, I'm offsetting that with taking a hip hop dance class (don't laugh!) so we'll see.

And chocolate sucks! :)

I'm with you Naz, I'm trying to focus more on working out regularly. I can make some rather minor changes to my diet to eat healthier, and I do like healthy things, but making my self work out is a pain in the ass. Especially when I get home tired it hard to make myself work out. I am mad at myself today because it is a nice day and I forgot to bring my work out clothes with me to work so that I can workout during lunch. I can't work out tonight because I have a class that doesn't end until 8:30 and then it will be straight to bed once I get home.

Wasn't feeling well this morning, headache on top of things - so I've just had a Hawaiian Breeze from Tropical Smoothie.

Yeah, it's technically a lot of calories - but it's filling and easy on the tummy.

Oh well...
height: 186cm/6' 1"
weight: 94kg/207 pound
fairly athletic build with too much fat around the torso.
I went to the gym for the last year, got rid of a pound or two (literally) and took a break during the first weeks of December. Back to square one.

I think this thread should be renamed the "healthy lifestyle" thread. Or something similar. If you go on a diet, loose weight, then resume your old habits, then you'll gain all the weight right back. You gotta find a healthy and sustainable way to live your life for the indefinite future.

Height: 6 ft even
Weight: 295
Goal: 215
Body Type: I have a fairly large build with a good amount of muscle gained from growing up on a farm. I think 215 might even be a little low for me, so I'm going to go more by look and feel, but it is good to have a number.

Weakness: Food. I can exercise no problem. Last spring I was running 6 miles a day and got down to about 265 from my high of 297 in about 3 months. I didn't change my dieting that much. At least, I couldn't do it for long. For a couple weeks I would meticulously watch my calorie intake, but then it would just fall apart.

Strengths: I have nothing else to do now. What really brought my weight back was when I worked for 7 months with insane hours during the election and the recount here in MN. I would be working 80-100 hrs a week and eating crap. Also, I started drinking soda pop again after 4 years free from it. I need to stop drinking it again, immediately.

Archived