World of Warcraft

GoN

[quote]Heroic Utgard:

At the start, our tank rushes up as fast as possible, and then we aoe the packs. It's nice if you have one melee who can tackle the stragglers that get loose from the pack. But no big deal if you don't.

Have 2 people collect harpoons. You can shoot the drake twice in every pass. However, watch for the boss. Just because the game prompt says he's in range, doesn't seem to always be true. Wait till you see him, then harpoon. The center gun station always hits, and then you use the left or the right one depending on where the boss is. This will bring down the drake twice as fast.

Have the person doing the last harpoon call it out beforehand. The tank should stand outside of the room, behind the guns. Everyone else should try to wait inside the doorway. This means the boss will have to go through the tank to get to the rest of the group. Then as you tank, move him away from the gun station by walking backwards down the way you came. This gives ppl room to avoid the whirlwind. The boss usually goes down quite fast unless you get a lot of melee dps (who'll likely die from whirlwind).[/quote]

I try and pull Skaldi away from the group and put myself on the opposite side of him from everyone else. When we WWs, he seems to target someone random, so I run backwards and then taunt and run like hell away from the group. If the melee DPS are on the ball and run fast, they live fine.

Help me! I'm drowning in math!

This spreadsheet project is changing me, and not for the better. It necessitates (or at least working on it creates a tendency to) living on the EJ forums, and I actually spent almost a whole second thinking "I can't post just 'Help me! I'm drowning in math!' here because I'll get an infraction for useless posting". And I hardly have time to, you know, actually play the game. But let's be honest. I enjoy this more. I'm just that crazy.

The WoW community as a whole, though, never ceases to amaze. Gather enough people and you'll get a critical mass of tools and idiots. I just witnessed (and reported) a rather hilarious tool there... I encountered an extremely mathful, eyes-glaze-over type of post that seemed vaguely familiar. Then right in the middle of all the math it just randomly says 'Kaubel is a n***'. (Kaubel being the EJ mod.) Turns out the post was a direct copy paste of someone else's post several days back. I don't know, maybe that was a stupid story, but reading the phrase "With one 1.6 speed and one 1.5 speed weapon, there will be compression and Kaubel is a n*** rarefaction of swing times: times when the two weapon swings come close together, and times when they drift apart." just made me crack up from the incongruity. Too much math, I guess. Help.

[quote name='Mandy' post='1642713' date='Jan 9 2009, 12.07']Well I'm more than a little nervous, with all the talk that the content sucks, that everybody will have quit the game completely by the time I'm levelled.[/quote]

I can say with some assurance that I will be around for a while, barring having to replace the laptop.

For me, it is a catch-22. Would I like to be able to have done (in my case) more instances with any of my characters? Yes. But, I don't have the time except on the weekends to do them, and usually then people have plans. I therefore am looking forward to (eventually) hitting levels high enough where I can walk through some of them alone. But that is the explorer in me talking. :-)

[quote name='Shryke' post='1643244' date='Jan 9 2009, 18.15']I try and pull Skaldi away from the group and put myself on the opposite side of him from everyone else. When we WWs, he seems to target someone random, so I run backwards and then taunt and run like hell away from the group. If the melee DPS are on the ball and run fast, they live fine.[/quote]
Thank you everyone for the help, finally got through it last night, did the above and took him down quickly. Got to Ymiron and expected a lot more. I think we skipped the phase he hits everyone for 5k and his adds didn't have a chance to even come out. Went through Nexus, AN & UP, tried VH but it was 2am and we were all too tired to realize that Shroud of Darkness was stopping heals. Called it a night, but we were all very satisfied with what we were able to get through.

Joy! An evening spent wiping on Malygos -25. We seem to cope with most things fine except the fact that people keep getting hit by nasties just after he lands, for like 19k. There seems to be some disagreement whether it is Arcane Breath or Arcane Storm. We also had him bug out on us once, when we got him to P2, he took off....and suddenly decided to eat a spark AFTER that and then did his power breath and insta gibbed the entire raid. Fun!
We're also seeing a massive increase in cleaves from 10 man, which may be partly since the officers, in their infinite wisdom, decided a tank who never tried to tank Malygos on our ten man take downs would be a good choice. We're also still plagued by DCs and people getting lag and disconnects, which doesn't help. In fact, we had to call it cos the MT disconnected and when ge tried to log back in, there was a 40 min queue.

[quote name='the winged shadow' post='1644292' date='Jan 10 2009, 23.14']Fenryng, what lvl your toon?[/quote]

On the server with Stego and the rest, my Warlock is 29.

On the other server, my mage is 42.

[quote name='Mandy' post='1644495' date='Jan 11 2009, 09.39']I was in a raid!!! Yayy :P[/quote]

What, no details?

[quote name='Lyanna Stark' post='1644679' date='Jan 11 2009, 13.29']We're also still plagued by DCs and people getting lag and disconnects, which doesn't help. In fact, we had to call it cos the MT disconnected and when ge tried to log back in, there was a 40 min queue.[/quote]

That lag issue sounds horrible. Wiping on new content can be frustrating enough without the added issues of lag. Ughx10.

Mandy, if the raid leader wasnt using master loot in a raid, then that's probably his fault and not yours.

I went to 10 man Naxx last night. It was pretty much a huge distaster. My "guild" only has 7 people, so we had to pug one healer and two DPS. The priest we found was great, but the DPS, a mage and an arms warrior, were probably the two worst 80s I have ever met. there were 4 people there for the first time, myself included.
We did the spider wing first. The first boss took 2 tries, we one-shotted the maiden, and the spider gave us some trouble. Me and my DK friend were over the line onto the webs, but we got locked out anyways. They failed to mention that there was a door, and they thought we were clear inside. We wiped a couple more times on the spider until the pally tank and I traded so that he had the adds.

At this point we noticed that I was out DPSing the mage..... and I only do about 1000-1200 DPS.
Next we did the 4 horsemen wing, and luckily the useless warior had to go, so we brought in a better fury one. For Instructor Razuvious, my interface broke and I couldnt dismiss the MC guy to refresh it. They insisted that I was just doing it wrong, and we tried again without me resetting the game. I couldnt even MC the guy this time, so the healer did it and they wiped. Then they belived me and after I restarted wow, it went fine.

We then tried the construct wing..... we one-shotted Patchwerk easily, and then got stuck on Grobulus. The stupid mage wouldnt run when he was the bomb, and we couldnt do it. We booted the mage after 2 tries and tried to 9 man, but after about 5 tries we called it.

The worst part is, we had at least 5 of us that have 0 Naxx gear and needed upgrades in about every slot... and nothing useful dropped. The only piece of the night that someone needed for main spec was the t7 chest. We either DE'd everything else or people took ot for off spec.

Overall it wasnt a great experience, but I think having competent people in the last 2 spots would really help.

and then, the extra guy we brough in asked me why I dont have a guild. I told him it was cause me and my friends are forming our own (we even have a charter). I didnt realize that this extra guy was from the raiding guild that some of my friends are in while they waited for us to get 80, and my friends all got angry that I announced they were leaving. I dont understand the big deal, the rest of us have signed the charter. I kind of think some of them didnt intend to leave thier current guild. I got tired of their crap and logged off.

We'll see what happens today, I guess.

Guest thebadlady
Poo! I wanted to do Kara with ya!

In other news, WTF??!! I came back after a long break and I can't heal ramps? Dude, seriously. And trying to level?? Fuck. I get killed so often that I am going to have to simply grind for a while and pull back to the guards since I used up all my gold for repairs. I regret trying to get over my addiction. :(

[quote name='Mandy' post='1644757' date='Jan 11 2009, 14.27']I kinda suck. I swear ill try to do better![/quote]

The warlock class has been a difficult learning curve for me, too. If you have questions, I will do my best to try to help. Something about this class just didn't click with me for a long time, but I think I'm getting better at it now. Slowly.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1645044' date='Jan 11 2009, 18.09']I regret trying to get over my addiction. :([/quote]

:lol: @ u

Welcome back to the fold. :P

So we took our 2nd pass at Naxx - aside from the main tank (me) being a total idjit on Anub and stepping into the green goo, we did fine. Got him on the 2nd shot, took Faerline down before we even needed the 4th worshipper dead, and Maex we one shotted after just looking at it once last week. Noth was a breeze, tried Heigin and unfortunately only got one shot at it due to some commitments...needless to say, didn;t learn much. Healers forgot to heal me when the warning came up that Heigin was going to blink in a few seconds, everyone jumped into quadrant 1 and no one even got to quad 3...oops.

even had 6 of the 8 pieces that dropped go to main specs.

wanted to take a shot at Patchwerk, but our 6 DPS are between 1500-2k; I'm at about 1400 and the OT is somehow only around 850 - so I'm figuring it's just not close enough yet to give it a go. maybe after some more heroics this week some more gear will drop..still waiting for the pants from H VH to drop, the trinket from AN and the sword in UP.

Guest thebadlady
I am hardly a lock, but I was told...

Don't ever drain life unless you are already at full mana (do that life to mana convert nifty move first), don't use SB unless you are in an instance or raid, and dot dot dot dot move target and dot dot dot like mad - kite (dot and make the mob chase you) until it dies a horrible death from your evil dotdotdot. IIRC, incinerate intensifies the effect of other spells and it should be used first after de dots.

Mandy:

1. Instead of Impro. S. Bolt, save the points for the next tier talent of 3 pts in Cataclysm. If you want to stay with Affliction, your destro tree should be: 2 in Imp. S. Bolt, 5 in Bane, 3 in Cataclysm, and 5 in Ruin. That's it.

2. On your affliction tree, you should be about 54+. You need Haunt. You need it ASAP. You also must have: Impro. Corruption, Suppression, Improved CoA, Soul Siphon, Nightfall, Empowered Corruption, Siphon Life, Shadow Embrace (this is a key talent for affliction), Shadow Mastery, Contagion, Eradication, Malediction, Unstable Afflic, Pandemic, Everlasting Afflic. Those are your core talents for an affliction.

Recommended: Imp. Life Tap, Dark Pact, and maybe Imp Fel Hunter.

3. Don't worry too much about dps on trash pulls. Do your dots, and move on. Just be careful not to pull aggro from a secondary mob. If it's a group pull, with no concern for breaking someone else'e cc like sap or sheep, then use rain of fire on groups of 3. Use seed of corruption on groups of 4 or more.

4. On single boss fight, your spell rotation is this:

Shadowbolt, Haunt, Unstable Afflic, Immolate, CoA, Corruption, Siphon Life

After this, comes the hard part. You want to maintain all the DoTs so that they are continuously running. Since they run on different timers, it takes getting used to which one is done. You will need a DoT timer add-on to help you. Your priority here is to never let Haunt expire. If your Haunt is active, you don't have to cast Corruption again because your talent Everlasting Affliction will renew it. So you have to keep Unstable Afflic, Immolate, and Siphon Life active. Unstable Afflic and Immolate have a similar timer, so you always cast them back to back. Consider that a single spell with 2 separate castings, if you will.

Keep in mind though that you don't want to "clip" your DoTs too much. Except for Haunt, where you want to perhaps clip 1 second of it to avoid it falling off, the other DoTs should be renewed at the last possible minute so you can conserve mana. CoA, especially, you might want to let it expire, since the strongest tick is the last tick and you lose a lot of dmg if you clip CoA. In the time that you don't have to renew a dot, spam shadowbolt. It's called a filler spell. You use it when you have nothing else to do.

I highly recommend that you go to a practice dummy in one of the capitals, and practice this.

You should use your fel puppy in raid, unless you're the only lock and ppl demand imp. Your puppy gives you more mana, and increases your spell power. It is also your mana battery if you have Dark Pact. Mix DP with Life Tap to conserve life during tough fights. When I practice on a dummy with Dark Pact, I never OOM, even after 10 min. I have 1 pt in Imp Fel Hunter, so that it regenerates its own mana when it's attacking, and that's a good source of mana for me from Dark Pact. Also, with Haunt and Siphon Life, I can life tap under this condition. In a real fight, of course, I take dmg and it's not so ideal.

5. Once the boss is at 25% or lower health, you will stop using S. Bolt as filler, and switch to Drain Soul. But you will only run it for a few ticks, and they you will interrupt it to keep your dots. At 25% or lower, Drain Soul does more dmg than S. Bolt if you have the DoTs up.

6. In gearing up, you want to grab some spell hit. For L80 heroics, you want to get about 200 spell hit in the minimum, and work your way to 368 for 10-man raid at L80. The next best stat is raw spell power. After that, spirit. Each 3.3pt of spirit is 1 spell power to you because of the Fel Armor. After that, it's haste, then between intellect and stamina.

Archived