Weather Thread

add-on

Hey, at least you get a spring in Winnipeg (right?), rather than the rainy, windy cold interregnum between winter and summer that we have here. The fall's nice, though, particularly when we get some warm rainy weather from the Gulf.

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1646712' date='Jan 13 2009, 00.04']In November I had to go to Cole Harbour to visit a newborn and his family (fortunately not by myself!). Getting there took about an hour, but the return trip took about two, including 40 minutes waiting at a bus stop in the dark in the outermost part of the "Dark Side" and then having to take the ferry because said bus route ceased going over the bridge an hour earlier. We'll have to go through this again in the next month.

(I'm enjoying this Hali-talk!)[/quote]

The dark side is just an abyss. Especially for buses. It's weird how by just crossing a bridge you can enter an entirely different universe. I only ever go over to visit the in-laws in Shearwater, which is only when I'm guilted into it, heh.

At least we didn't get the snow we were supposed to today. I'll take rain any day. Til it turns to freezing rain this afternoon. Then I'll be back here bitchin'.

[quote]Why do I live here again?[/quote]

I couldn't handle that cold. There isn't enough money in the world to make me live somewhere that gets that cold.

[quote name='Oorag' post='1647521' date='Jan 13 2009, 15.47']Wow, how do you type in a 58 degree office? My old office was kept in the high 60's I think, and I had to run hot water over my hands several times a day.[/quote]

My girlfriend brought me a space heater that is running non-stop 2 feet away from me just to get it into the mid 60's for me. My fingers are stiff and numb even still for a lot of the day. It is good times!

snake, right now I'd be okay with being a weakling southerner: their noses don't drop off when they go outside. ;)

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1648113' date='Jan 13 2009, 22.25']Only Canada is colder than MN. Its so cold I literally can't leave the house - the garage is frozen shut. ha.[/quote]
Garage door openers hate these temperatures. The parts are too cold to function properly, so the motor tries and tries to do its job until bits get stripped off inside. My mother's stopped working and the repairman said they'd had over 300 calls for the same thing.

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1648120' date='Jan 13 2009, 22.29']Hey, at least you get a spring in Winnipeg (right?), rather than the rainy, windy cold interregnum between winter and summer that we have here. The fall's nice, though, particularly when we get some warm rainy weather from the Gulf.[/quote]
Spring... I think it's a myth. Because as soon as it's warm enough for the snow to stay melted, the mosquitoes begin to hatch.

Oh! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAZD9Xx5-Y"]Does Winnipeg really exist?[/url] (I know the guy who put this together, but I think he left out the weather.)

eta: nope, one mention :)

It's damn cold. Today is 7F/-14C/ Tomorrow is going to be 2F/-19C. I was in NYC last week and had to drive home from the train station in swirling/blowing snow. Brrr! I thought about going skiing today but decided that it has to be double digits (not negative) to get me outside.

[quote name='Lady Whitestripe' post='1648842' date='Jan 14 2009, 13.49']I thought about going skiing today but decided that it has to be double digits (not negative) to get me outside.[/quote]

Yeah, usually I take the dog for a walk but I'm invoking the double digit rule as well.

-10 F and -20 F with the wind chill where I'm at right now (North Dakota). The cold is not really much of a problem, though. The real problem recently has been all the snow and wind we've been getting. Because it's relatively flat and tree-less here the roads drift over in a heartbeat and then you can't get anywhere. That's what really sucks! We just passed 5 feet of snowfall this winter (which is a lot for here) and only another 40 inches is needed to set a new record. The scary thing is that's very possible. It can easily snow all the way into May and sometimes June in ND. Turns out that snowblower that's been sitting mostly unused for a few years was a good investment after all ;)

Seems like the perfect opportunity for a SoCal weather report. Sorry, missed this thread while I was out surfing.

Fair

Feels Like: 74°
Barometer: 30.06 in and rising
Humidity: 16%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 25°
Wind: WNW 8 mph
Sunrise: 6:51 am
Sunset: 5:06 pm

74°

Enjoy.

My thermometer says 'balls cold.' That translates to approximately -6C for the Eurocommies and other assorted heathens. Its not that bad though, I'm not hating life yet. Thats what February is for. Feb is usually when I get to the point where I've had enough of this shit and start craving summer. I'm getting close.

Guest thebadlady
darlingemo, bite me. :P

It warmed up to -22 today. I walked the garbage down the driveway and had to sit in a hot bath to thaw out.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1650735' date='Jan 16 2009, 05.58']darlingemo, bite me. :P

It warmed up to -22 today. I walked the garbage down the driveway and had to sit in a hot bath to thaw out.[/quote]

Nothing but love sister.

[quote name='S John' post='1650726' date='Jan 15 2009, 20.53']My thermometer says 'balls cold.' That translates to approximately -6C for the Eurocommies and other assorted heathens. Its not that bad though, I'm not hating life yet. Thats what February is for. Feb is usually when I get to the point where I've had enough of this shit and start craving summer. I'm getting close.[/quote]

You know it's going to be even colder tomorrow night?

It's like a DC winter all of a sudden has teeth.

Yesterday, it was colder here than at either the North [i]or[/i] South Poles, but they swear it's going to be up at the freezing mark this weekend. Hmm... I'll believe it when I see it.

Pretty chilly here today. -30C. With the windchill it felt like -45C. Not terrible after you get out into it but going out there first it seems real cold.

[quote]snake, right now I'd be okay with being a weakling southerner: their noses don't drop off when they go outside. wink.gif[/quote]

:lol: Don't give in my friend. You gotta stay strong!. :P

[quote name='Knight of the Wineskin' post='1650621' date='Jan 15 2009, 17.57']Winter wonderland my ass![/quote]
No kidding. This seriously blows. Saturday we're supposed to be back in the twenties. If I had that much lateral movement left in them, I'd be crossing my fingers.

Archived