Aethiest sister vs intellectually lazy relgious sister

Guest Ro_

Guest thebadlady
Based on the abortion of stupid [url="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=33565"]here[/url] and Cyr's excellent sig line (There probably is no god. Now go enjoy your life!) I thought I'd share moar stupid.

There was a bad snowstorm a coupla weeks ago and my sister told her son that it was snowing because god wanted it to snow. She knows that sort of shit really pisses me off. I mean, doesn't she read about how america is dumber than turkey or someplace like that in science. Not surprising if kids are brought up to think the big man in the sky just does random stuff. She shouldn't dumb down her kid to get a rise out of me. Bitch.

Btw, if you don't know about it, this is [url="http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/06/atheist-bus-ads-roll.html"]awesome[/url]. (The law there says you can't state with complete certainty so they had to put in the probably.) I love that its generating conversation rather than bombs. Go rationality!

I sympathise with you re your sis. sounds like she mainly said it to get a rise out of you. You should get her kid/s into science.
And - yeah, the "atheist bus" story is great!! They got an amazing response when the idea was floated, and heaps of people donated.

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1647469' date='Jan 13 2009, 13.49']Rhelle,

Yeah, that's why kids are stupid. Religion. Gosh my children are dumb as bag of hammers because we take them to church on Sunday.[/quote]

I blame the tooth fairy.

[quote]my sister told her son that it was snowing because god wanted it to snow.[/quote]

That's interesting. So, not ONLY is theism agressive, they are now trying to get into the "passive" agressive game.

When stuff like that happens, you really do have to let it roll off you. Its her child and she can raise the child any way she dang well pleases. If you were to ever have a child, you could say "The reason why its snowing, Albert, is because in the atmosphere water condenses into a tiny droplet. As more and more water vapor condenses onto its surface, the droplet grows. Cold air then freezes this water into an ice crystal. Oh, and because God hates your aunt."

However, if she constantly does stuff like this just to get a rise out of you- and I'm talking like she does it 10-20 times over only 3 months or so, call her on it. Turn to your niece/nephew and say, "Ask your mommy why she knows God wants it to snow?"

The child will then ask and mom will then come up with some BS answer- it really does not matter what the answer is.

Because you will then say - in front of the child - "Sis, I really wish you would not expose my neice/nephew to your blasphamy." Just say it like that.

Sis will then ask, "WTF do you mean?"

You say, "Sweet sister who I do not want to see burn in the eternal fires of Hell, you cannot suppose what God wants, and its a sin to state to others that you, a mere mortal, could know God's plan. The simple excersise of believing you KNOW what God WANTS is an act of blasphamy. (if you can fake cry here, go for it). Telling a child that you KNOW what God WANTS is... its sinful!"

When your sister picks her jaw up from the floor (and yes, what she is doing is technically blasphamy), she may say, "But you don't even believe in God" just smile and say, "Yeah I know! But you do so you have to pay attention to that stuff. Not me!" And then dance.

Guest thebadlady
I do have kids. :P When mine asked me about weather at that age I told them in the summer the clouds have rain in them and in the winter the clouds have snow in them. Easy enough for a 3 year old to understand without making up a bullshit answer.

Sis is having a horrible time potty training so next time she tries to twit me I am gonna tell her that god wants her to wipe someone else's shitty ass for the rest of her life.

"QUOTE (Ser Scot A Ellison @ Jan 13 2009, 13.49) *
Rhelle,

Yeah, that's why kids are stupid. Religion. Gosh my children are dumb as bag of hammers because we take them to church on Sunday."

Scot, good god man, why the hell are you saying your kids are stupid? Thats fucking harsh! Besides, religion does add to intellectual laziness. It creates the environment where people crave authority, rules and strict black and white. Thats not intellectually stimulating nor does it help people to think in a scientific way. You can force your beliefs on your kids all you want, but you are being intellectually dishonest if you really think religion makes someone smarter.

It helps me to remember that I want my family to respect ME enough to not interfere with my life (which would include parenting), even though I know that they don't respect my beliefs. I doubt that she's "dumbing down her kid" on purpose just to spite to you.

In reality, I think even if I wanted kids, there's no way I could have them until after my parents are deceased, because the thought of fighting with my parents over religion and the children just kills me.

Rhelle,

My children are quite bright. My five year old daughter is reading on a fifth grade level and learning multiplication. All while attending Church each Sunday, miraculious. I'm not saying going to church makes you smarter. But it doesn't mean you're going to end up a dunce either. I've managed to maintain a healthy interest in science all the while attending Church. You are sterotyping the religious based upon your experience with your sister.

[quote]Besides, religion does add to intellectual laziness. It creates the environment where people crave authority, rules and strict black and white.[/quote]

Particularly if they are Rabbinical students. Or Jesuit scientists.

:rolleyes:

Guest thebadlady
Scot, so you are saying that non-Jesuit or Rabbincal weathermen are your God's prophets too?

(Grats on your daughter's progress!! My girl is a reader too (a mad scientist too! She is always up for 'an experiment' :P), but my son just wants to learn everything about computers instead of reading. So I buy him books about computers and the games he plays. *sigh*)

Guest thebadlady
Bah, for the record, I am not indoctrinating my children in the dreaded atheism. I have taught them about all the major world religions and brought them to as many services of those religions as possible. I have read and told them stories from the bible. I want them to be educated about what is out there and to have an open mind. They know mommy doesn't think there is a god in the way some people think, but it could be a possibility because no one knows for sure. Basically, I guess I am raising them semi-agnostic.

Guest thebadlady
You aren't a very nice Canadian. Were you that guy who wore high heals at TorCon? That guy was a jerk too.

Oh, and I don't believe in creationist weather.

Rhelle,

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1647546' date='Jan 13 2009, 17.02']Scot, so you are saying that non-Jesuit or Rabbincal weathermen are your God's prophets too?[/quote]

I'm saying they are religious people who are open and well versed in intellectutual examination of a variety of issues (Laura worked in a DNA lab with a Jesuit scientist while she was at Georgetown.) That your statement about the religious was overly broad and swept in many to whom the generalization does not apply.

[quote](Grats on your daughter's progress!! My girl is a reader too (a mad scientist too! She is always up for 'an experiment' :P), but my son just wants to learn everything about computers instead of reading. So I buy him books about computers and the games he plays. *sigh*)[/quote]

Thank you. It's very exciting to see her reading so much and so well. What's really cute is her brother (he just turned two) likes to look at books and "read" to himself. Anything big sister Kate does is by definition awesome in his eyes.

Regardless of your religious beliefs, it is intellectually lazy to just say 'God wanted it to snow, so it's snowing'. She should explain the mechanisms behind it or help the child find an explanation for the mechanisms behind it.

And let's be honest, the primary causes of ignorance and poor academic achievement in America is related to a lot of factors, including the current American lifestyle, the prevalence of TV and internet access, and the dismissive behaviour many people have toward information they regard as 'practically useless'.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1647573' date='Jan 13 2009, 17.21']You aren't a very nice Canadian. Were you that guy who wore high heals at TorCon? That guy was a jerk too.

Oh, and I don't believe in creationist weather.[/quote]

1) No. I don't associate with Con Scum irl.

2) What's "creationist weather"???

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1647474' date='Jan 13 2009, 15.53']I blame the tooth fairy.[/quote]

This is not my fault. :P

on the OP, if the purpose of her saying it was to get a rise out of you, I guess she wins. If I know I am being deliberately baited I will not rise to the bait, no matter how hard I have to bite my tongue.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Shryke' post='1647623' date='Jan 13 2009, 16.47']1) No. I don't associate with Con Scum irl.

2) What's "creationist weather"???[/quote]

2- "If he asks about God, tell him that the book explains HOW God makes it snow." Revisionist weather.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1647625' date='Jan 13 2009, 16.48']Translation: I wear high heels, I just don't go to conventions.[/quote]

*SNORT!!!!*

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1647625' date='Jan 13 2009, 17.48']Translation: I wear high heels, I just don't go to conventions.[/quote]

Addendum: I am also a jerk.

Religion has a purpose it seems, it makes people more sensitive. Too much of it makes people overly sensitive from my informal poll.

Archived