Aethiest sister vs intellectually lazy relgious sister

Guest Ro_

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1647830' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.19']Rhelle,

Sir Issac Newton, one of the greatest scientists to ever live was deeply religious.[/quote]

He was also the meanest person in England at the time, choosing to prosecute all kinds of cases while being Lord of the Mint. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Serious Callers Only' post='1647915' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.00']Just to be a devil advocate, Newton was also nuts.[/quote]

heee!

[quote]After his death, Newton's body was discovered to have had massive amounts of mercury in it, probably resulting from his alchemical pursuits. Mercury poisoning could explain Newton's eccentricity in late life[/quote]

Mad as a hatter.

[quote]neuropsychiatric symptoms (emotional lability, memory impairment, insomnia).[/quote] EEEK! I have the mercury poisoning too!

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1647911' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.58']I like higher levels myself sometimes. :P And aye, militant atheists like me suck as bad as fundie christians, but who is more dangerous? My kids will grow up to be scientists, not fry cooks. :lol:[/quote]

:lol:

[quote]And why is it a big deal? Every family has its thing and weird dynamics. (To make it even better, my BiL is as rabidly atheist as I am and my sis is making him crazy. :rofl: )[/quote]

Stragely enough my situation is sort of similar. I come from a religious family, where one sister is ultra-religious and married to a chassid (ultra-orthodox brand of Judiasm) and my other sister is a rabid atheist, while I am sort of a passive Atheist/Agnostic. Whenever we come together for a holdiay meal, the tiniest spark sets off a huge shouting match about god and religion between my two sisters (and I often get dragged into it). It is really ugly (and kind of fun to watch as an impartial observer, so my friends tell me).

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1647871' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.43']I have no idea what you just said. (Ser Wolf King)

:leaving:[/quote]

What I said is that naturalism (whether ext.) is an assumption that science makes. It amounts to an approach whereby scientists will deal with things that can be perceived, and leaves the supernatural (that which can't be perceived) to other disciplines. Is there anything wrong with that? And what if there is a supernatural, that can't be perceived by science? Well, that's for theology and other related disciplines to deal with. So again, what's wrong with that?

[quote name='Ser Maynard of Mountainview' post='1647902' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.54']"Faith and Reason are the shoes on your feet. You can travel further with both than you can with just one."[/quote]

Great quote. I don't see how having a little religion snuck in between sciences could hurt things more then science has already hurt itself by trying to pass off stupidity as wisdom.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1647735' date='Jan 13 2009, 17.52']/sidebar

Fellow parents - would you interfere with another parent's parenting choices as long as they didn't involve serious immediate physical harm?[/quote]

One of the benefits of being a parent is to bitch, moan, and complain about how other parents are raising their kids (and you know other parents are bitching about you). The rule is that you can bitch all you want but you have [i]absolutely no right[/i] to interfere or bring your bitching to the parent in question unless 1) Child's life is in danger or 2) You are specifically asked by the parent for your advice.

I can't tell you how many times I complain about how my siblings are raising their kids but there is a deep obligation to never, ever interfere.

But I would go batshit crazy if any of my brothers' told me they weren't going to immunize their kids.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1647911' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.58']I like higher levels myself sometimes. :P And aye, militant atheists like me suck as bad as fundie christians, but who is more dangerous? My kids will grow up to be scientists, not fry cooks. :lol:[/quote]

Until then you're a few fries short of a happy meal. :thumbsup:

Guest thebadlady
G'kar, we were raised Catholic and lapsed into Agnostic/Atheist except for my battyass sister (whom, like I said, got sucked into a fucked up church by her boss). My mom just ignores CrazySis when she goes on and humors her, but dad has jumped on her ass about sticking her nose into the rest of us kids' parenting. Then she gets all pissy and doesn't talk to anyone for a month - its so peaceful.

Ser Wolf King, ahh. I agree wholeheartedly - science and religion/spirituality are different realms and should not be mixed for the reason of someone's lack of ability to separate the two.

Ixodes - I am wondering if the non-interference thing is just a MidWest thing. :lol:

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Shryke' post='1647966' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.20']If your sister is saying it's snowing cause God wants it to, she is one shitty Catholic.[/quote]

Exactly. If she were being a good Catholic she'd say it was all his fault it was snowing. Nothing like Catholic guilt!!

But she isn't Catholic - she turned into a foaming weirdo in Some Other Religion. It doesn't even have a name that I know of - its like a combination of a TV Evangelist and fist shaking nutbags.

[quote name='Ser Wolf King' post='1647863' date='Jan 14 2009, 12.41']Words
Science gives prose to our understanding of the universe, but no poetry, no meaning.

Words[/quote]

Science gives meaning to our existence, quite succinctly in fact. It is also very poetic at times too.

The rest is a bit of a toss.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1647972' date='Jan 13 2009, 21.23']Exactly. If she were being a good Catholic she'd say it was all his fault it was snowing. Nothing like Catholic guilt!!

But she isn't Catholic - she turned into a foaming weirdo in Some Other Religion. It doesn't even have a name that I know of - its like a combination of a TV Evangelist and fist shaking nutbags.[/quote]

Ahh, she went to one of THOSE branches of Christianity.

Yeah, your in for some fun.

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1647974' date='Jan 13 2009, 21.24']Science gives meaning to our existence, quite succinctly in fact. It is also very poetic at times too.

The rest is a bit of a toss.[/quote]

was wondering when you were going to show up, I owe myself a coke.

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Crazydog7' post='1647979' date='Jan 13 2009, 20.26']was wondering when you were going to show up, I owe myself a coke.[/quote]

He took longer than I expected actually. Mackers, you are losing your touch.

Now, for fun - [url="http://dlisted.com/taxonomy/term/108"]Pamela Anderson[/url] doesn't wear pants!

[quote name='Mackaxx' post='1647974' date='Jan 13 2009, 22.24']Science gives meaning to our existence, quite succinctly in fact. It is also very poetic at times too.

The rest is a bit of a toss.[/quote]

I've always found the scientific belief that consciousness is an epiphenomena of matter to be untenable. Stupid even.

They cannot explain something so they marginalize it. But if this were the case, nothing would have any meaning whatsoever. My typing here would not be directed by my mind but is some eddy in the material sea that whirls this way and then next it whirls the other way.

It is like a poster covering a wall but when the poster is removed, there is no wall. So, what was holding the poster up? Well obviously the poster is an epiphenomena of the wall. But there's no wall under the poster. Well, that's because you took the poster down.

Once again it's not a fact that consciousness is an epiphenomena of matter. It's not even a belief. It's just the high priests of science insisting it is so. No real or serious or joyful person could believe such nonsense and yet it is forced on us as something that is real.

[quote name='Ser Maynard of Mountainview' post='1647902' date='Jan 14 2009, 12.54']Also I would have to disagree pretty strongly about Science and Religion being anathema to each other, and religion automatically making you dumber. Heck, one of my favorite quotes is from Babylon 5 about that very thing: "Faith and Reason are the shoes on your feet. You can travel further with both than you can with just one."[/quote]

Um, why does a cute statement like this actually carry any weight? There's lots of cute statements about African Americans using the N word which derides their intelligence. That doesn't make them valid.

[quote name='Ser Wolf King' post='1647954' date='Jan 14 2009, 13.09']What I said is that naturalism (whether ext.) is an assumption that science makes. It amounts to an approach whereby scientists will deal with things that can be perceived, and leaves the supernatural (that which can't be perceived) to other disciplines. Is there anything wrong with that? And what if there is a supernatural, that can't be perceived by science? Well, that's for theology and other related disciplines to deal with. So again, what's wrong with that?[/quote]

Ok, so if it can't be perceived by science why can it be perceived by 'theology'? You also implied earlier that the supernatural, metaphysical, whatever fancy work you have for stuff we can't observe, was an essential part of our lives that science can't begin to explain. Why is this stuff essential?
\
edit, heading off to lunch, back in a bit to deal with the rest.

[quote name='Serious Callers Only' post='1647989' date='Jan 13 2009, 21.32']Who says they can't explain it? I fully expect an neural network to attain at least pig like efficiency in this century*

*The end of this century that is.[/quote]

Yeah it still kind of warps my mind that while the last of the WWI veterans has yet to die our grand kids will live to see the 22nd century and people will still be arguing about secularism v. religion.

Archived