Battlestar Galactica: This Thread has Happened Before and Will Happen Again

Werthead

Regarding what was said in the last thread about the promised land: they actually have not found the promised land, they have found a wasteland instead (even if it's called Earth by them). The Pythia prophecy didn't name "Earth", but they did say the "leader dying from a wasting disease" would not live to enter the promised land. Roslin did enter "Earth", but it seems very likely there is a much more hospitable planet out there, probably in the galactic neighbourhoud of "Earth", and i guess it is the planet briefly shown at the end of "Crossroads" - the one they made very sure the viewer would recognise.

Regarding Kobol, I don't think "the curse" would impress people like Adama, if they didn't know Cavil and co know where it is and would likely check on it from time to time. It is the only truly habitable planet they know the location off (other than the borderline New Caprica). With the help of Cylon navigation computers, which got their Raptors back to Caprica very quickly, they could still make it there unless Galactica really will fall apart in a few days time - but then they are frakked anyway, they have nowhere else to go unless they get the magic coordinates really fast.

I hope the S7 Cylons didn't build the hub themselves (I've long hoped they inherited it from the much older F5), otherwise their inability to replace it, or build a proper back-up in the first place, is a major, major plothole. Already the ease with which this ultra-important infrastructure was destroyed is really stretching credibility (they don't even jump at clear signs of trouble!???).

I also hope they will give a reasonable explanation for the missing number 7. Since 5 numbers are left "open" in the Cylon numbering system (in a deleted scene for "Downloaded", Gina proposed to name Hera as "13"), it would make sense if the one who came up with the number scheme (say, Cavil) reserved the open numbers for the five. Maybe Cavil identified one of the final five (naming it "7" in his scheme) before model "8" was made.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1655597' date='Jan 20 2009, 14.06'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvLFV5o0iPM&eurl=http://galacticasitrep.blogspot.com/&feature=player_embedded"]A famous fan's reaction to the hiatus.[/url][/quote]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbH6NbhfEVU&feature=related"]Alternate ending shot in case the show was canceled after the writer's strike.[/url]

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1655625' date='Jan 20 2009, 12.22'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbH6NbhfEVU&feature=related"]Alternate ending shot in case the show was canceled after the writer's strike.[/url][/quote]

That would have been MUCH more clever had someone added in a red scanning LED eye.

[quote name='Wouter' post='1655614' date='Jan 20 2009, 15.16']I hope the S7 Cylons didn't build the hub themselves (I've long hoped they inherited it from the much older F5), otherwise their inability to replace it, or build a proper back-up in the first place, is a major, major plothole. Already the ease with which this ultra-important infrastructure was destroyed is really stretching credibility (they don't even jump at clear signs of trouble!???).[/quote]

Isn't that exactly what it did though?

It's been awhile, but as I remember, the problem with attacking the hub was that it jumped at the first sign of trouble. Which is why they needed the cooperation of the rogue cylons, in order to get close enough to the hub to take out the FTL before they knew what was going on.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1655761' date='Jan 20 2009, 21.46']Isn't that exactly what it did though?

It's been awhile, but as I remember, the problem with attacking the hub was that it jumped at the first sign of trouble. Which is why they needed the cooperation of the rogue cylons, in order to get close enough to the hub to take out the FTL before they knew what was going on.[/quote]

Yes, but between Cavill and Boomer realising that the new baseship was the rebel vessel and was launching Heavy Raiders and between the Vipers taking out the FTL a good minute or so elapsed. Unless the Hub's FTL was kept deliberately dialled down for some reason, they should have had time to jump clear.

I [i]think[/i] what we were supposed to understand was that the Heavy Raiders were going after the other baseships and their fighters, so the Hub appeared safe, and then the Vipers (coasting in unpowered) suddenly opened fire without warning and took it out. However, the CGI didn't really reflect that. It made it appear the Vipers went in on full power early enough to warn the Hub to jump out. Possibly dubious editing was to blame.

Indeed, and in addition, one would expect a few small swarms of raiders may have been constantly deployed around the hub. The Cylons have never heard of CAP? And only 2 measly baseships to protect the most important piece of equipment (unreplaceable!) in the universe? Of which one was possibly only there because Cavil happened to be visiting? And their protection proved totally ineffective. For the Viper pilots, it was like a walk in the park.

I just remembered something that Ron Moore said in the past...
SPOILER: May be a spoiler, if reliable...
The last episode of season 3 was originally supposed to start with Tigh at Woodstock listening to All Along The Watchtower. [url="http://www.coolscifi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188637"]See here for example.[/url] (Funny that the guy in the first post there made the right prediction.) I just realized that this actually makes sense if the planet really is Earth and Galactica is set 2000 years in the future.

(Presuming, I guess, that there hasn't been a major change of plans since then.)

Let's keep in mind that the Hub was only destroyed a few weeks, at most one or two months ago. So maybe Cavil and friends are pooling all their resources into rebuilding it, which is why we haven't seen anything of them lately. It should be completed in time for season 8 :P

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LW2_2ihIuzI&eurl=http://lj-toys.com/?journalid=12752854&moduleid=75&preview=&auth_token=sessionless:1232726400:embedcontent"]Worst commerical placement ever[/url] :ack:

It's not just the transposition of the pool of blood with the soup, it's also the "Just keeping living," vibe not quite gelling with the suicide vibe. I know these things aren't planned but that is pretty funny, in an appalling kind of way.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1656051' date='Jan 20 2009, 19.39']So...Galactica '10 then? ;)[/quote]
At which time they'll decide to completely shake up the cast by making Starbuck male.

I mean, come on! What a lame idea.

ETA: Wert, that video is hilarious. :lol:
I especially love the shots of soup exploding in the air from the cubicles. It's like all the fans of D took her death on the show too seriously.

[quote name='Wouter' post='1655786' date='Jan 20 2009, 17.01']Indeed, and in addition, one would expect a few small swarms of raiders may have been constantly deployed around the hub. The Cylons have never heard of CAP? And only 2 measly baseships to protect the most important piece of equipment (unreplaceable!) in the universe? Of which one was possibly only there because Cavil happened to be visiting? And their protection proved totally ineffective. For the Viper pilots, it was like a walk in the park.[/quote]

1. If the hub was spooled up and ready to jump, it could in theory be gone before any potential threat could do any damage. I thought they made it pretty clear in the show that the hub jumped around frequently, meaning that deploying and then re-acquring a CAP at each jump would be a tremendous waste of time and fuel.

2. Protect it against who? I don't think that the Cavils, etc. ever thought, in their wildest dreams, that the rebel Cylons would sacrifice their own immortality by destroying the hub, nor would they expect the rebels to disclose the existence and location(s) of the hub to the humans.

That being said, it is pretty silly that the Resurrection Ship in the Pegasus arc had at least three baseships guarding it, along with swarms of raiders, and the Hub only has a random baseship that doesn't really even react when a rebel baseship jumps in and deploys dozens of heavy raiders in an attack run.

Archived