Wild Cards

krill54

So there where only 600 copies of DD5? No wonder it was so hard to find a copy. I got a really good one, a hard back with a laminated dust jacket for about 26 bucks on Amazon.

I am so glad GRRM answered one of my questions on that center stage thing he did with barns & noble. He told me that JJM was the creator of Ti-malis (my favorite Wild Cards villain) and that he had a cameo appearance in DD5 so I looked into it and it turns out that JJM also created Billy Ray. (my favorite bad ass) If GRRM hadn’t told me that I probably would not have read DD5, because of the bad experience I had with the single author wildcards book by Melinda Snodgrass. After that I just didn’t think I could get into a single author Wild Cards book. Boy was I wrong DD5 was great a truly enjoyable book. The only bad thing I can say about it is there wasn’t even one mention of Croyd I absolutely love Croyd and truly believe he is the archetype wild card character and should at least be mentions in every book. But other than that it was one of my favorite Wild card books. You did a really great job JJM.

• 2 weeks later...
So there where only 600 copies of DD5? No wonder it was so hard to find a copy. I got a really good one, a hard back with a laminated dust jacket for about 26 bucks on Amazon.

I am so glad GRRM answered one of my questions on that center stage thing he did with barns & noble. He told me that JJM was the creator of Ti-malis (my favorite Wild Cards villain) and that he had a cameo appearance in DD5 so I looked into it and it turns out that JJM also created Billy Ray. (my favorite bad ass) If GRRM hadn’t told me that I probably would not have read DD5, because of the bad experience I had with the single author wildcards book by Melinda Snodgrass. After that I just didn’t think I could get into a single author Wild Cards book. Boy was I wrong DD5 was great a truly enjoyable book. The only bad thing I can say about it is there wasn’t even one mention of Croyd I absolutely love Croyd and truly believe he is the archetype wild card character and should at least be mentions in every book. But other than that it was one of my favorite Wild card books. You did a really great job JJM.

Thanks for the kind words. You got a good deal on the DD5 volume. I've just started to sell on eBay a couple of extra copies that I have. The opening bid is well below the secondary market value, but higher than the orice quoted above. If anyone is interested, just do a search on eBay for DEATH DRAWS FIVE.

In personal news, I am just back from a vacation in the UK that would have been perfect if on the fourth day I hadn't tripped, twisted, and (I thought) sprained my ankle. I was dogged by an aching ankle for the next two weeks and even after returning home my leg was still sore. I went to the doctor and discovered that I'd actually broken my tibia in two places near the ankle. Fortunately, it was (and is) healing okay and I will just have to be in a boot cast for the next six weeks. So, since I can't drive I'm basically stuck at home for the next six weeks, which I'll spend chained to the computer.

I'm going to run down some urls and post a link or two to some samples of the Green Ronin Wild Card Gaming Worldbook, which is nearing completion. Probably be best to give it it own topic, so look for it. I should have it up tomorrow, unless someone takes pity on me and comes by to take me out to lunch.

John Jos. Miller

Great book incidentally, always really enjoyed the Billy Ray character and loved to see him fleshed out a little bit more. The Angel was fun too, ditto Nighthawk, the addition of extra wild cards that were actually interesting was great too. A cameo from a certain bloodsucking (sorta) parasite was nice too. It's nice to see the series picking up a bit after the shenanigans involving ones son raping oneself in ones body and other assorted fucked up shit. The humour seems to be back in the series nowdays, not that its riotous comedy mind you but theres a sense of fun in there again. Gritty bits sure, but just not a whole book full of it.

Its a shame there were only 600 printed really. The same goes for black trump, that new cycle wasn't bad either, I just never got to finish the damn thing, I'll find the bugger someday for an appropriate price hopefully.

Great book incidentally, always really enjoyed the Billy Ray character and loved to see him fleshed out a little bit more. The Angel was fun too, ditto Nighthawk, the addition of extra wild cards that were actually interesting was great too. A cameo from a certain bloodsucking (sorta) parasite was nice too. It's nice to see the series picking up a bit after the shenanigans involving ones son raping oneself in ones body and other assorted fucked up shit. The humour seems to be back in the series nowdays, not that its riotous comedy mind you but theres a sense of fun in there again. Gritty bits sure, but just not a whole book full of it.

Its a shame there were only 600 printed really. The same goes for black trump, that new cycle wasn't bad either, I just never got to finish the damn thing, I'll find the bugger someday for an appropriate price hopefully.

Thanks. I've enjoyed writing all those characters very much. The next volume (out in December) will have a Billy Ray/Midnight Angel story in it, despite the proliferation of all these New Gen characters, so look foward to that.

Seeing as how this thread is about Wild Cards in toto (and it's a fairly active thread), I'm just going to go ahead and post the news about the new role playing game here. As some of you may know, I've done a new RPG Worldbook for Green Ronin Press. The manuscript is about ready to go to the printer, for release before Gen Con (which I think is in August). There's lots of RPG info in it, of course, but I also wrote it as a history and compendium of the wild card universe, so it should be of interest to even non-role players. It will also be heavily illustrated, with some of the nicest wild card art I've seen, and covers the series to my novel, DEATH DRAWS FIVE.

Here's a link to a sample character sheet,Tachyon's, which actually omits the extensive biography (there will be about ninety of these bios):

http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/gimmi..._wild_cards.php

And a link to my intro:

http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/000579.php

The next volume is entitled "Aces and Jokers" and will have approximately 350 biographies and stats of other chararacters in the series. Hope you enjoy them both.

John Jos. Miller

• 4 weeks later...

Ran,

I don't know. I picked up three copies of the first edition AGoT some years back for $5 apiece. ;)

Even the bestselling book will end up remaindered eventually.

Oh, boy do you suck. I was all excited when I found the book club edition of AGOT for a buck at the Barnwell County Library. I keep an eye any first editions of any of ASOIAF.

Archived