Lost Season 5 Thread 2

Werthead

[quote name='Starkess' post='1669401' date='Jan 31 2009, 13.43']I'm really glad I never got too into Heroes (I've watched a few episodes with a friend). From all accounts, it basically sucks harder and harder as time goes on.[/quote]
I've been watching Heroes the whole way through and, sadly, I must concur. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, while also no Lost, has at least remained interesting and has maintained its watchability, IMO.

So who thinks Desmond walking into Widmore's office was bold? Who thinks it was stupid?

Desmond and family are trying to [i]avoid[/i] Widmore, correct? If not, what follows can be ignored. Widmore is supposedly the dude who faked a plane crash. Desmond has disappeared with his daughter. Now he just shows himself at the MAN's office. Like Widmore couldn't (and wouldn't) follow him. This may happen, of course. I'm just commenting on what I see as Desmond's stupidity in this choice.

[quote name='Jon Targaryen' post='1669827' date='Feb 1 2009, 01.17']So who thinks Desmond walking into Widmore's office was bold? Who thinks it was stupid?

Desmond and family are trying to [i]avoid[/i] Widmore, correct? If not, what follows can be ignored. Widmore is supposedly the dude who faked a plane crash. Desmond has disappeared with his daughter. Now he just shows himself at the MAN's office. Like Widmore couldn't (and wouldn't) follow him. This may happen, of course. I'm just commenting on what I see as Desmond's stupidity in this choice.[/quote]
It struck me as both (bold and stupid). Lucky for Desmond, Papa Widmore is worried that Ben's after Penny, so he doesn't want [i]anyone [/i]knowing where she is.

Do I remember correctly that a Dharma polar bear skeleton was found in the Tunisian desert at one point in the show? And if so, does that mean that the polar bear turned the "Wheel of Time"??

It was dumb for Desmond to show up in old Widmore's office. The guy is capable of faking a plane crash landing in the Pacific, how can you not think he is capable of following you on a boat?

I love that character, I wish more than anything they had left Desmond alone. I wanted him to survive. No way he lives through this show. Makes me sad.

The video podcast for the last episode sees the [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsQG0ZcU54&feature=related"]food drops[/url] mentioned again and the promise that they will revisit the topic in an upcoming episode.

[quote name='Lightning Lord' post='1669909' date='Feb 1 2009, 03.35']It was dumb for Desmond to show up in old Widmore's office. The guy is capable of faking a plane crash landing in the Pacific, how can you not think he is capable of following you on a boat?

I love that character, I wish more than anything they had left Desmond alone. I wanted him to survive. No way he lives through this show. Makes me sad.[/quote]

We don't know if Widmore was behind the faked crash but we can say that he's capable of cutting the limbs off strangers. And the first one is not negotiable. But I'd like to know why didn't Widmore tell Desmond that Benjamin Linus was off the Island at any point?

On reflection, it seems Ben's threat on Penny's life may just be that; Something to keep Widmore in check while Ben steals the Oceanic 6 from under his nose. Ben seems more interested in getting back to the Island than revenge at this point. However, it could change if he sees Penny.

If Ben only has 70 hours to get everything done, he's going to be a very busy control freak. And we still don't know if he needs Desmond to make the trip.

[quote name='Fatuous' post='1670057' date='Feb 1 2009, 11.29']If Ben only has 70 hours to get everything done, he's going to be a very busy control freak. And we still don't know if he needs Desmond to make the trip.[/quote]

What, if anything, does Ben know about Desmond. I don't recall them ever interacting...though I'm sure they must have, right...?

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1670146' date='Feb 1 2009, 12.56']What, if anything, does Ben know about Desmond. I don't recall them ever interacting...though I'm sure they must have, right...?[/quote]

I don't think they have ever met on the show. :unsure:

Edit: Although Ben could have been keep tabs on Desmond when he was pushing the button through the Pearl station.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1670041' date='Feb 1 2009, 09.56']The video podcast for the last episode sees the [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4lsQG0ZcU54&feature=related"]food drops[/url] mentioned again and the promise that they will revisit the topic in an upcoming episode.[/quote]

Awesome! Somehow, these crazy writers might pull it all off.

[quote name='Fatuous' post='1670057' date='Feb 1 2009, 10.29']On reflection, it seems Ben's threat on Penny's life may just be that; Something to keep Widmore in check while Ben steals the Oceanic 6 from under his nose. Ben seems more interested in getting back to the Island than revenge at this point. However, it could change if he sees Penny.[/quote]

I very much doubt Ben has forgotten. Ben plays alot of stuff very close to the chest. Remember "The Other Women" from S4?

[quote name='Shryke' post='1670248' date='Feb 1 2009, 15.22']I very much doubt Ben has forgotten. Ben plays alot of stuff very close to the chest. Remember "The Other Women" from S4?[/quote]

I did not say forgotten but rather that Ben could be playing mind games with Widmore, trying to keep him in check so Ben can figure out where his pawns are. I agree that Ben's plays everything close to the chest {though vest is my own preferred usage of the phrase}, that's why I said maybe he's waiting for Penny to find him. But that doesn't makes much sense if vengeance is on his mind.

Seriously, if retribution is Ben's purpose then why is he so intent is getting back to the Island with an extreme sense of finality to it? He had Sayid as a personal assassin for a year or so plus he still has his own information network so it's not as if he had a lack of time, money or manpower to pull off such a thing. I suppose the real question is did Ben visit Widmore closer to the time he left the Island or closer to the point Ben found Jack at Bentham's funeral? If Ben really had Sayid kill off Widmore's people after Ben already visited him then Widmore would have known that Ben was the one behind the deaths. To the countrary, Widmore expected to see Ben and he was having trouble sleeping. "It's sunny in Iraq" = Iraqi in Benmindgamese.

Bentham tracked down Walt and he tracked down Hugo but it stands to reason that Ben must have confronted Bentham after he talked to Hugo. There seems to be a pattern emerging here; What are the odds that Desmond's meeting with Widmore was not long after Ben's?

On the other hand, Ben, Desmond and Penny could already have had their meeting and Penny's dead. This show would be so much easier to keep track of if each scene started with a place and a time.

In case anyone considers the "next week on Lost" preview to be a spoiler.

SPOILER: Next week on Lost
I guess the obvious interpretation for Sawyer saying, "I saw Kate in the jungle" is that the time they traveled to is after the crash but before the rescue and Sawyer saw a past Kate. Any other interpretations?

[quote name='Fatuous' post='1670300' date='Feb 1 2009, 16.27']I did not say forgotten but rather that Ben could be playing mind games with Widmore, trying to keep him in check so Ben can figure out where his pawns are. I agree that Ben's plays everything close to the chest {though vest is my own preferred usage of the phrase}, that's why I said maybe he's waiting for Penny to find him. But that doesn't makes much sense if vengeance is on his mind.

Seriously, if retribution is Ben's purpose then why is he so intent is getting back to the Island with an extreme sense of finality to it?[/quote]

Who says he doesn't also want to get back to the Island? He wants both I imagine. There's no way Ben has forgotten or forgiven Widmore for getting his daughter killed. And he certainly wants back to the island.

And if Widmore couldn't find Desmond, I'm guessing neither could Ben. Living on a boat makes evading attention fairly easy.

Am I remembering incorrectly? I thought at some point Widmore admitted to setting up the fake plane crash. Is this something I imagined?

I pretty solidly agree with Shryke. I don't think Ben knew where Penny and Desmond were. Widmore would definitely want his daughter protected, so he would have been looking for her. And Widmore and Ben seem very evenly matched in terms of means and abilities. Penny is still in danger, IMO.

The interesting question, imo, is why Penny and not Widmore himself?

And I'm thinking that it's because of what we learned in the last episode. If Widmore is an Other, Ben may not be ALLOWED to kill him.

Archived