Aussies XXXXVI

gryphon strike

Yes $950 would be nice (I'm also legible). Have Liberal even announced an alternative to Labor's handouts or are they just playing stiff shoulders and stickin' it to Labor for the sole purpose of stickin' it to 'em (which is what it looks like to me). They're throwing the word "deficit" around like it's sacrilige, but possible deficit is not enough reason alone IMO to pull up the stop signs. It's a harsh winter and we need fuel for our campfires.

Lots of [url="http://larvatusprodeo.net/2009/02/04/never-get-between-australians-and-a-pile-of-money/"]commentators[/url], Labor and [url="http://andrewelder.blogspot.com/2009/02/do-something-kevin-rudd-has-correctly.html"]Liberal [/url]seem to think Turnbull just [url="http://www.crikey.com.au/Politics/20090204-Turnbull-opposes-stimulus.html"]chucked a Beasely[/url].

Unfortunately, I doubt that I'll be eligible for this hand out. I know I wasn't before.

I make WAY less than 80k a year, would generally qualify for Centrelink, but LOOK, I'm a provisional resident. In short I'm getting taxed up the wahoo with absolutely no relief that a person of my income and family size would otherwise receive.

In short, I doubt we'll see ANY of these "handouts" even though my husband was born and raised in Australia and I'm the one supporting his lazy butt.

That being said, I can't even file a tax return in the US although they taxed those wages for 4 months last year either because I didn't live there for 6 months or more during the year.

I'm uncertain about what I think of the stimulus package. Much as I would like $950 (and I would qualify, seeing as my teacher's salary isn't particularly huge) I think it will be a waste as far as economic recovery is concerned. The government is stuffing up its own economic plan with its own announcements.

Think about it - why give $950 as a stimulus to people when at the same time you are scaring them so much about economic circumstances that they're actually unlikely to spend it? I'm guessing most of the $950 will be used by wise people to pay down their debt or they'll just stock it up and save it, so the benefits to the economy are minimal. If they want to call it a spending stimulus the government should be spending the money themselves, rather than putting money in peoples' pockets where it could go anywhere or nowhere at all.

If the government is going to spend money, I think it should do it in the form of infrastructure spending (which directly creates jobs and will end up providing much needed services). While in principle I agree with tax cuts for businesses, from a cynical point of view I doubt that they would work, and companies would pad their bottom line rather than hire more people. If the government wants to put more money directly into peoples' pockets, I would suggest pensioners; they need more money, and as a group they are probably the least likely to save it and the most likely to spend it.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1675834' date='Feb 6 2009, 13.44'](psst... Gryph... it's XLVI buddy)[/quote]
Thanks but I think it was up for a bit long for me to get away with changing it now :blush:

Ohh well I was pretty sure L was the letter for fifty
and that makes sense how it is arranged

[url="http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/06/2484457.htm"]Dire Bushfire Warnings[/url]

Here's hoping all the ES boarders hang tough for the next few weeks. We've had two come within 100 metres of our place in the last two years so we're thinking of you.

Edit: Also:

[url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25016696-948,00.html"]More American Divers Missing off Queensland[/url]

Oh dear.....

Update Edit:

[url="http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=28&ContentID=123401"]Divers found safe and well[/url]

Couldn't believe my eyes, logged on and what do I see. the death toll is at 108 in Vic fires.
words can not express...

[quote name='Brady' post='1678614' date='Feb 7 2009, 23.35']Wow, Victoria got hit hard. Stay safe everyone, and don't forget the firies who are out in this. A good mate of mine is somewhere down near Bega fighting a massive bushfire right now.[/quote]

Hope your mate is doing ok with all this. and is safe.

So we had a somewhat stressful (kind of an understatement) time recently. Had my First ultra sound and was told everything was good. So I walked out of there chuffed to pieces. I made an appointment with the Dr just to talk about the ultra sound. cause ya suppose to. but I was confident all was good from what the guy who did the ultra sound was saying. I couldn't get in to see the Dr for a couple of days and decided since there was a wait I'd make the appointment when my son was at day care. about five days later I get two phone messages one from the doctor to call him back and the other from the med centre to collect a letter.

next day I go and pick up the letter. it was a referral to the Mater Hospital for a 4d scan saying they had found an obvious defect in the babies spine. So naturally I lost it. It was like my air supply was cut off. Called my husband and he came home. We started to look at what this could mean. did a lot of research but finding no real comfort in any of the info. We decided to Just wait til the scan before we made any decisions. I saw the Dr next day. He couldn't elaborate any further than a spinal defect that the consultant Dr suggested may be spina bifida. (my older sister had that and was paralyzed from the neck down and died 2 weeks after she was born) So despite myself I was scared. Couldn't sleep. I was confused, because I swear I'd been feeling the baby move. My mind wouldn't stop dwelling. no matter how much I tried to distract myself. and my husband was having a hard time too. (to say the least)

So Tuesday comes around and we pile into the car and travelled to Brisbane. Everything felt like it was in slow motion.
Finally got into the Mater (plenty of trouble surrounding that little adventure) and waited about an hour before we got called in.
So short story made long. Everything is healthy and normal, absolutely [b]no[/b] defects found at all. We also found out the sex of the baby. It's a boy! The lady doing the scan asked us if we wanted to know. if she could find out. we said definitely yes. a second later, no shame, legs spread, and there was the proof. Husband is ecstatic.
the baby was kicking his legs throwing his arms around. basically not keeping still, so the chicky was getting frustrated because he was moving too much to get the pics she needed.

Have to go back in 3 week for a full morphology scan to make sure all is going well. apparently at 16 weeks it's hard to tell very much.
but they really looked hard. And from what we saw, we are pretty confident. I swear though the trip home was sweet. everything seemed 10 times funnier than usual.
this whole thing really did my head in, I gotta say I was so lost. I felt like there must be something so very wrong with me. You try to do everything right. Try to do everything you are asked to. because you want the best possible health and life for your child. And then something like this comes up...
ah well, so thankful that it's all, so far so good. longest week I've had in a while though

got no names yet. We used the boys name we liked on our first born.

Wow that sounds like a weeks worth of stress you really didn't need!

Congrats on your baby boy and I'm glad that things all seem to be ok now.

Saurian I too am glad everything is fine, I suspect it was a case of the original ultrasound got confused with someone else or something stupid, the tech doing the initial scan never mentioned anything at all so thats why I suspect it was all one big screw up but yeah going from terror to elation is a very giddy experience :)

Aw thanks heaps Brook, GS and Adelle.

It does feel like it was stress and pain that we didn't have to go through.

The only explanation we were offered was the original letter was a typo.
that it was most likely meant to read, [i][b]no [/b]obvious spinal defect.[/i]
I certainly thought it strange that a Dr would put in a letter that a there was an obvious defect and not offer any further information.

My husband was somewhat angry and wanted to speak to the original person who did the scan.
As I said to him. I would rather there be a mistake that leads to thorough investigation. than something missed and vital opportunities missed because of it.

I certainly hope it wasn't a mix up. as in a switch or something. I couldn't handle the thought that a couple may be having a baby that needs medical care and they are left thinking all is well and good.

I had a 4d scan with my first son because he has heart issues that were discovered while I was pregnant and that scan was when I was about 30 Weeks. So it was exactly like seeing my baby before he was born.. I got a picture to take home. So I knew his little face so well before we even officially met.
At 16 weeks the baby while looks like a baby, he is also skeletal and slightly alien looking because of it. Still totally cool. I could already see he has my husbands hands. and his stubbornness ;) and to get that little insight when so many mothers and fathers have to wait. Well I'm truly grateful and it was a somewhat humbling too.

Archived