Aussies XXXXVI

gryphon strike

A lot of the container yards are pretty empty of everything but empty containers and stuff will still be coming in but I think a lot of companies are buying on a more case by case method now so rather than keeping stocks up we are delivering an amount they have already sold basically.
No as that process changes you get a period of very little work and then it picks back to the same if not more than before because of the rush jobs you get.
I am hoping that is all it is.

ok Well I am working on monday which is good :)

I guess we just see how this day by day thing goes
Progress is speeding up for the medieval fair and our Wicca stall that we are having, they are having jousting this year so that means heaps of people. Hopefully that will translate into lots of money :)
We have to get this business going somehow.

Certainly the economic crisis affects a lot of things.

I came over to the UK just for 12 months to get some alternative experience. On a leave of absence from the Melbourne job. Economic crisis comes, and left with the UK firm wanting me to stay on good terms, while the Australian market for my role has dried up. Although I have a 'certain' slot back at the Australian firm I left, they're consultants, so its not [i]that[/i] certain.

So now I'm probably staying in the UK for a few more years. Was not expecting that.

[quote name='ants' post='1695562' date='Feb 22 2009, 23.12']So now I'm probably staying in the UK for a few more years. Was not expecting that.[/quote]

Not bad with an Ashes series coming up!!

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1695570' date='Feb 23 2009, 00.33']Not bad with an Ashes series coming up!![/quote]
I'm in the draw for 3rd, 4th and 5th day tickets to Lords. COME OOOONNNN AUSSIES!!!!!!!

Right now, I really like being in AU. Of course it'd not getting hit as hard by the "crisis" and things seem a lot more stable here.

I've been looking around me lately in regards to behavioral differences in women from the US, AU, and UK. What I can gather in differences (at least in people I know and can observe), is that US women can be flaky at times, but generally have their feet on the ground at least half of the time; AU women seem to be very into themselves - no matter what age group I see and while reliable in executive positions, are generally completely unreliable in the rest of life or in lower positions within a company; UK women seem to be a bit more reserved at work, but party like crazy people outside of it and are generally somehow "untouchable" leaving it hard to observe them.

Not saying that this holds true for EVERY person. Just the ones I've had the opportunity to observe.

Yet another strange rambling from Adelle...

I'm ready for it be winter now. Working overnights and sleeping through the heat sucks monkey butt.

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1696318' date='Feb 23 2009, 21.38']Autumn, finally. A respite from the heat.

Watching the academy awards. Jackman is a damn good host so far.[/quote]
5 days to go for Autumn

Well working tomorrow also and today the carpark was empty most of the drivers had RDO's I am wondering whats happening tomorrow.

Well what can I say not much work around everything is empty etc yet I almopst got an hrs overtime today!
So far work on a day by day basis is the same as fulltime work.

Yesterday I ran out of fuel!
That was interesting both learning how to bleed a deisel trucks fuel line so you can start it again and also all the stirring I got from the other drivers.
The weird thing is that the boss said almost nothing about it. maybe because he sent me off on a wild goose chase that used up most of my fuel :P

Well I don't know what it is but with my job, it's getting nuts. There's jobs coming in from everywhere and unlike before where we could comfortably keep on top of the workload, it's getting harder and harder. Today we had a record number of jobs that came in, we usually average around 5-7, today we got something like 18!!

We're getting drowned under the workload.

BLAH, I'm sick! I hate the heat and being sick at the same time!!!

Had to call off work for the first time last night. Didn't want to, but was running a high grade fever all day. So now I'm back at work tonight, sneezing, coughing, feverish and all. Gotta love sickness.

[quote name='Adelle Tully' post='1699203' date='Feb 25 2009, 08.16']BLAH, I'm sick! I hate the heat and being sick at the same time!!!

Had to call off work for the first time last night. Didn't want to, but was running a high grade fever all day. So now I'm back at work tonight, sneezing, coughing, feverish and all. Gotta love sickness.[/quote]

feel better soon. A fever is always much more uncomfortable in high humidity and heat.

talking about heat. I saw on the news that SA is hitting another heat wave. Then the announcement that there is a high fire danger.
Which to me is the same as saying on national TV "Attention all fire bugs, today is the day you have been fantasizing about"

That may be overstating the situation. But still..
I hope you get through this without a horrifying result like Vic.
It's worrying since GS has already stated the situation has nightmare potential in Adelaide.
Luck

For no particular reason, found this gallery of Aussie nasties and thought I'd link it in.

[url="http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/gallery/0,21592,5037578-5007153-12,00.html"]12 Deadly Aussies[/url]

Piece of advice.

If flying back into Australia, try and get a direct flight to your capital city. Never, ever, go via Sydney. Could not believe how rubbish their immigration/customs section was. Very glad I gave myself a few hours lienancy to fly down to Melbourne.

Archived