Heroes

superkick

They ought to have made the situation with Pete's power a little clearer. I figured that he had lost all of the goodies accumulated within the first 2.5 seasons, but had assumed that the formula gave him back his original power. And so I was confused at the end as to why Peter now had to absorb by touch, and why he was so worried about falling out of the plane. It makes sense now, after reading through this thread. And it is much better that way.

Still, I wasn't all that impressed by last nights episode. It just all felt a bit sloppy. They're going at too fast a pace, and there was almost no character developement. I'll keep watching of course - I haven't given up over the past two seasons, so I'll tough it out and see if it gets any better. But the most entertaining part of the show remains the arguments with the gf over who's more badass, Peter or Sylar. And it looks like I've won that now, so the show better improve, else there'll be nothing left to hold my attention.

[quote name='mcbigski' post='1671799' date='Feb 3 2009, 00.01']I don't know where they were. When Ando got into Hiro's computer system it looked to me like the GPS was saying Hiro was somewhere in northern Africa. Apparently President Worf hasn't outlawed extraordinary rendition.[/quote]

I got the impression that the computer clicked on, popped up a map of the world with the "Hiro" icon on it and then it moved and zoomed in to his actual location, in New York.

I had zero problems with Hiro's "lair" for Ando. He's still a guy who thinks that the world is a comic book as far as powers are concerned. I do sometimes wonder if there're ever going to allow him to mature though. The darker Hiro (and I'm not saying he needs to become darker to mature) was so much more interesting and had many more possibilities...

Drugs don't effect Claire, right? I think that's been established? I had to think about that one...why would the drugs effect her at all...

Thought it interesting when Nathan was fishing for info on which powers Peter had, the better to capture him? But interesting none the less...

Parkman's new ability, while seemingly a bit out of left field, doesn't have to be anything more than an extension of his telepathy. A different kind. If nothing else, it was a way for the creators to avoid having to add and explain a new character...

A little heavy handed in the whole Fugitive homage (okay so it's the crummy Wesley Snipes sequel they're going after) with the plane crash, but there was very little wrong with the episode and seemed like a strong launching pad for going forward. We'll see what happens now.

PREDICTIONS:

Peter will become a multi-power guy again after coming into contact with Sylar...

Nathan will end up dead. At his own hands. After he discovers the President is super powered as well...

Hiro will get his powers back...

Claire will waffle about something somehow connected to HRG...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1672085' date='Feb 3 2009, 09.26']I got the impression that the computer clicked on, popped up a map of the world with the "Hiro" icon on it and then it moved and zoomed in to his actual location, in New York.

I had zero problems with Hiro's "lair" for Ando. He's still a guy who thinks that the world is a comic book as far as powers are concerned. I do sometimes wonder if there're ever going to allow him to mature though. The darker Hiro (and I'm not saying he needs to become darker to mature) was so much more interesting and had many more possibilities...

Drugs don't effect Claire, right? I think that's been established? I had to think about that one...why would the drugs effect her at all...

Thought it interesting when Nathan was fishing for info on which powers Peter had, the better to capture him? But interesting none the less...

Parkman's new ability, while seemingly a bit out of left field, doesn't have to be anything more than an extension of his telepathy. A different kind. If nothing else, it was a way for the creators to avoid having to add and explain a new character...

A little heavy handed in the whole Fugitive homage (okay so it's the crummy Wesley Snipes sequel they're going after) with the plane crash, but there was very little wrong with the episode and seemed like a strong launching pad for going forward. We'll see what happens now.

PREDICTIONS:

Peter will become a multi-power guy again after coming into contact with Sylar...

Nathan will end up dead. At his own hands. After he discovers the President is super powered as well...

Hiro will get his powers back...

Claire will waffle about something somehow connected to HRG...[/quote]

I dont think peter could become multipe pwoered because he can only mimic the ability of the person he touched so even if he touched sylar he wouldnt lose his mimicking ability he would jsut temproarily gain sylars ability...meaning he cant be superpowered unelss he never touched a single person with a power again.

[quote name='superkick' post='1672090' date='Feb 3 2009, 09.32']I dont think peter could become multipe pwoered because he can only mimic the ability of the person he touched so even if he touched sylar he wouldnt lose his mimicking ability he would jsut temproarily gain sylars ability...meaning he cant be superpowered unelss he never touched a single person with a power again.[/quote]

But what if he used Sylers power once he had it?

[quote name='Arlington Bill' post='1672098' date='Feb 3 2009, 10.40']But what if he used Sylers power once he had it?[/quote]

That would be what I was going for. That's Heroes logic. And it falls into cliched comic book logic. :P

I think the episode redeemed itself in the final 15 min, but the rest of it was still marked by the bad dialogue and delivery that we've seen up until now. I think the show works better when the characters talk less and do more. Claire is much better when she's desperately attempting to kick ass and rescue her friends than when she's whining to her family members about the same. Same with Peter, and even Mohinder was ok in this episode because he talked very little.

Story-wise, Heroes seems to be moving well but these writers can't write dialogue for shit.

I thought it was a fairly good episode. The whole "Hiro goes from Japan to NYC in two seconds" was irritating. I suspect that the writer used to be one of the staff writers for Alias because they pulled this shit all the time. I am also disappointed that Ali Larter's bare buttocks were not displayed. Because you know next episode either Nathan or Sylar will take their shirts off and my wife will be clapping and cheering from the couch while I have to sulk about missed opportunities.

[quote name='nazfyratu' post='1672105' date='Feb 3 2009, 10.47']Story-wise, Heroes seems to be moving well but these writers can't write dialogue for shit.[/quote]

naz, it's a little painful in terms of television watching, but if we were reading it in comic book form it probably would seem much more natural...

[quote name='superkick' post='1672137' date='Feb 3 2009, 11.14']nonetheless at least the ginat paradoxal gaping plot hole creator that is tim raveling is now hopefully gone forever..[/quote]

Hahahah. Oh man, your optimism is hilarious.

Also, Muttering Bill. The answer was always Sylar, whoever says otherwise is a liar.

My thoughts on the ep was it was pretty good. A little predictable, but I liked the rolls that they put everyone in (let's hope they stay with them this time around)

Nathan finally starts to look like a competent villain and an interesting character like first season.

Mohinder was around 10x more interesting as a cab driver than he ever was as a scientist.

Claire was still bitchy

Sylar is still a badass (fuck your character development)

The overall story had potential. But then, that's what I thought at the start of Season 3 as well.

To be fair to the writers, Sylar's unrealistic move from uber-villain to sympathetic anti-hero back to complex villain is very much like a comic book (think Magneto). So are the gaping plot holes, poor dialogue, and ridiculous plot twists. I can sometimes forget the many inconsistencies by viewing Heroes as a comic book in video format. I left Heroes for a while because I was frustrated by the poor writing, but returning now, I realize I just need to enter the mode I did when I used to watch 24, and just enjoy the sci-fi elements, characters, action, and story arc, while ignoring the hosts of problems the show still has.

Sylars move into anti hero was actually kind of believable..I mean first the petrellis used him, then he had a thing with Kristen bell..i mean even super villian cant really resist her allure, then he found out the petrellis lied which obviously pissed him off because he got used, and then EL got killed which obviously would turn your anti hero back into a raging super villian as the extremly hot babe who was the only one who ever saw you as normal is now dead.

I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but just to add credence to the theory that Peter only has the power of the last person he touched remember what he said to Nathan. Nathan asked him what his powers are now, and Peter responded "What was the last thing you saw me do?" Nathan responds, "You flew."

Since it seems like everyone has been isolated and trying to live normal lives for the past two months, it is likely that Nathan is the last person he touched. So the last thing Nathan saw him do was the last time he touched someone with a power.

Superkick, it's not the believability of the anti-heroness. It's the poor writing that went along with it coupled with the fact that everyone else in the series was also switching sides faster than a square dance and it lost all appeal.

If they would have protracted the length of Sylars goody-two-shoesiness (believe me though I would be moaning all the way through the loss of my dear Sylar) and stabilized a few of the extra characters it may have been able to mean something.

I can forgive the writers trying to do something interesting with Sylar, but their is way too much character assassination on the show. The worst for me was Mohinder Suresh, who went from being the moral voice of reason to being an evil, predator. The development of other characters is equally unbelievable, especially if the actor can't pull it off (I'm thinking of leather, clad, hard ass Claire right now).

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1672272' date='Feb 3 2009, 11.42']I can forgive the writers trying to do something interesting with Sylar, but their is way too much character assassination on the show. The worst for me was Mohinder Suresh, who went from being the moral voice of reason to being an evil, predator. The development of other characters is equally unbelievable, especially if the actor can't pull it off (I'm thinking of leather, clad, hard ass Claire right now).[/quote]

yea mohinder was far to extreme. angela and nathan flip flop far too much. claire is just ridiculous..someone should punch her in the face. she was a much cooler character comitting suicide over and over again

Archived