Heroes

superkick

What was he doing that was evil or, indeed, crazy prior to his injecting himself with the formula at the start of the third season? I can't recall anything at all. All of his worst behavior comes after the injection of the flawed formula. Before that, he was hopelessly naive, but he always came through -- refusing to inject Monica, helping to rescue Molly, getting Noah out of a no-win situation with Bob, and so on.

Yup, this episode wasn't too bad. Sylar kicking the retrieval team's collective asses was fun. I was a bit confused on a few points because I seem to have erased most of last season from my memory, but the comments here have helped some. When Peter first got his powers back last season, did they show a little electric shock thingy when he touched Nathan or was this ep the first time we saw that?

Having Peter only be able to mimic one power at a time and have it be the last one he touched is definitely a good thing. Hopefully he's capable of remembering to use one power since he never could seem to remember all the other powers he had or that he could use them to get out of just about any of the problems he got into.

The thing that irritated me the most about this new ep was all their evidence towards proving the theory that "evil will always win because good is stupid." I mean, come on people. Not once, but twice you have good guys presented with "Bwah ha ha! I am evil and I have an evil plan, will you go along with it or will you give me trouble?" and they respond with "On noes! I will fight you with everything I've got! I will never stop until you are defeated!"

Peter and Claire could both have chosen to go along with Nathan while crossing their fingers behind their backs, at the very least to get out of immediate danger. Or if they were feeling really spunky, they could go along with the nutso until they learn more of his plan, get on the inside, and can take him down when he's least expecting it.

Sure, I suppose they could have thought they were safe enough, that Nathan wouldn't hurt [i]them[/i], so they could go ahead and voice their supidly, unrepentantly goody two-shoes opposition to Teh Evil Plan, but I think I would have tried to be more subtle.

Also, mysteriously gaining a second power aside, Matt is a moron. The second they showed the drawing of them standing there with a cracked window behind them (and I couldn't even see the dart drawn in his neck that he was asking about) I thought "Duck!" They just stand there going "Dur... whut dis mean?" Not only can he not draw (before he was chosen to have that power, anyway), but he also lacks visual comprehension skills!

But still, overall, I guess the new episode gets a reluctant thumbs up.

[quote name='superkick' post='1672245' date='Feb 3 2009, 09.26']Sylars move into anti hero was actually kind of believable..I mean first the petrellis used him, then he had a thing with Kristen bell..i mean even super villian cant really resist her allure, then he found out the petrellis lied which obviously pissed him off because he got used, and then EL got killed which obviously would turn your anti hero back into a raging super villian as the extremly hot babe who was the only one who ever saw you as normal is now dead.[/quote]

Yeah, except Sylar killed Elle. What turned him back into boogeyman Sylar was learning that he'd been played by both Petrelli's so he realized he could never have a stable relationship, even if it was with a fellow psychobrat like Elle. So he killed her.

I like that they didn't have him kill his dad/uncle. He'll be a much more interesting character if he's not just some raving killer who kills everyone around him, but someone who still has that shred of humanity inside and actually allows it to come out every once in a while.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1672704' date='Feb 3 2009, 17.02']Yeah, except Sylar killed Elle. What turned him back into boogeyman Sylar was learning that he'd been played by both Petrelli's so he realized he could never have a stable relationship, even if it was with a fellow psychobrat like Elle. So he killed her.

I like that they didn't have him kill his dad/uncle. He'll be a much more interesting character if he's not just some raving killer who kills everyone around him, but someone who still has that shred of humanity inside and actually allows it to come out every once in a while.[/quote]

i dont recall him killing el..then again i didnt pay attetion very closely while watching last season but i thought someone else killed her.

[quote name='superkick' post='1672720' date='Feb 3 2009, 16.15']i dont recall him killing el..then again i didnt pay attetion very closely while watching last season but i thought someone else killed her.[/quote]

Nope, definitely Sylar. One second they're making out on the beach, next second 'oh yeah, I'm bad again, head cantaloupe!'

I thought this episode was a marked improvement over the past 1 1/2 seasons. The characters have decent roles right now, the plot isn't too unbelievable and there wasn't much in the way of glaring stupidity. Also, the line delivery has improved slightly - the only conversation I was wincing at was Mohinder and Peter's in the cab, mainly on the Mohinder side.

The writers are getting my hopes up now...I'm just praying they don't collapse back into mediocrity again :(.

Sir Thursday

This weeks episode has saved the show from VCR deletion (yes I still "tape" shows). They seem to be getting back to basics and the plot is much less convoluted than before.

I still dont care about any of the characters though. The writers will need to get me to care about them again if I'm going to stick with it.

The one element that irritates me more than all the others is the whole protecting Claire thing by her parents and her arguing that she should be fighting. I swear they have beaten that to a bloody pulp even more than all of the other stupid aspects of the show. This episode was decent but it still had Claire being protected...PLEASE STOP USING THAT PLOT DEVICE!

[quote name='smegma' post='1678201' date='Feb 7 2009, 12.35']The one element that irritates me more than all the others is the whole protecting Claire thing by her parents and her arguing that she should be fighting. I swear they have beaten that to a bloody pulp even more than all of the other stupid aspects of the show. This episode was decent but it still had Claire being protected...PLEASE STOP USING THAT PLOT DEVICE![/quote]Seriously, the first ten minutes was nothing but this so I turned it off. I can't sit through 40 mintutes of crap anymore just to get my 10 of Sylary goodness.

[quote name='smegma' post='1678201' date='Feb 7 2009, 11.35']The one element that irritates me more than all the others is the whole protecting Claire thing by her parents and her arguing that she should be fighting. I swear they have beaten that to a bloody pulp even more than all of the other stupid aspects of the show. This episode was decent but it still had Claire being protected...PLEASE STOP USING THAT PLOT DEVICE![/quote]

That is one of the most chronically annoying things in the show. The rehash of the same old bullshit for Claire not only every season, but every few episodes. 'Daddy's lying and won't let me fight'. 'I just want to be a cheerleader, NO, I want to be special!!' When it comes down to it she's a scrawny little pipsqueak who can't do a damned thing except not die. She has no talent, strength, or use in 99% of the dilemmas that the show might bring up. Why do the writers keep expecting us to take her seriously as a superhero when she can't do anything? Hell, they did this with Nathan in the first season, 'I can fly Peter, what good is that? Maybe if I need to save some cats in a tree'...Claire desperately needs to have this reality pounded into her head and its completely absurd that no other character has done it yet.

Really, what is the point of keeping her on the show? They constantly struggle to make her relevant and almost never succeed. Her scenes have been the most pointless and annoying for the last two seasons. What's the deal? She's young, hot, and has a semi-recognizable name? Let her go make more Ice Princess movies. Take the time and scenes saved to explore the Everest sized can of whoopass HRG delivers to the people who killed her. Introduce another young hottie (since you already killed Elle) to keep the 15 year old boy demographic happy.

[quote name='EHK for a True GOP' post='1678485' date='Feb 7 2009, 18.43']Really, what is the point of keeping her on the show? They constantly struggle to make her relevant and almost never succeed. Her scenes have been the most pointless and annoying for the last two seasons. What's the deal? She's young, hot, and has a semi-recognizable name? Let her go make more Ice Princess movies. [b]Take the time and scenes saved to explore the Everest sized can of whoopass HRG delivers to the people who killed her.[/b] Introduce another young hottie (since you already killed Elle) to keep the 15 year old boy demographic happy.[/quote]

Greatest idea ever.

Not only would we be rid of Claire, but we could also get rid of his wife and son in the same process. Make it a big fucking, hit squad type, ninja assassin, messy bloody no coming back from the dead deal. HRG teams up with the Hatian... bring back the Invisable guy as a possible antagonist...

And do it before sweeps week. Anyone killed during sweeps week is almost guaranteed to rewalk the land of the living.

Finally saw the episode. Liked it, actually. I have hope. And I agree that the actors seemed so relieved about it that they seem to be able to convincingly deliver their lines again.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1680829' date='Feb 9 2009, 21.17']How does Parkman have this new ability?[/quote]

He met a psyhic in the desert who fed him soemthing that was pretty much like a massive amount of peyote and he went on a massive spirit walk balls to the walls peyote trip, then author petrelli killed the pyshic, parkman took the psychics turtle went, back home, then aforesaid dead psyhic showed up last episode and was like youre now a psychic too.

Archived