The NFL Thread

Week

Ah yeah, Pro-draft. Rumors abound that KC might be a spot for Cassel to land...why would they spend money on a QB when Thigpen is serviceable and they have 15 holes to fill?

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1671763' date='Feb 2 2009, 19.29']Getting it right is not enough. A good official conveys the sense of controlling the game. That half-arsed review made it seem like they were doing it on the fly. Not good.[/quote]
Exactly this.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1671800' date='Feb 2 2009, 20.02']Ah yeah, Pro-draft. Rumors abound that KC might be a spot for Cassel to land...why would they spend money on a QB when Thigpen is serviceable and they have 15 holes to fill?[/quote]
Because there are not 32 quality QB's in the league? I don't know. They are rumors after all.

Matt Cassel was at the Superbowl. He got [url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=138739"]urinated [/url]on. This is news.

Loved the game, but I really thought the team who played the best lost.

On that final fumble call, I too was surprised that the decision on it was made so quickly.
My initial thought was that Warner had bottled that play, waiting far too long to make the pass, but it was pointed out to me that he probably had to wait that long for Fitzgerald to get far enough down the field, so I'm not sure.

I'm surprised to see that I'm the only one here who thought the refs called the fumble wrong. On all the replays I saw, it was clear to me that Warner's arm had reached the full extent of the backward motion and had begun moving forward before the tackler got his hand to the ball or before Warner lost control of the ball.
As I understand the ruling, that, combined with the fact that the ball hit the ground before being caught made it an incomplete pass and not a fumble. No?

ETA: Also, would it have killed the any of the Steelers' Coach, QuarterBack or MVP to acknowledge the amazing performance put in by their opponents?
I thought that showed a bit of a lack of class. Though I admit that my opinion here might be tainted by the fact that such a thing would be usual in the sports I follow better - maybe it's standard to not acknowledge the opponent's efforts when you've only just about won in American Football?

[quote name='Paddy' post='1671993' date='Feb 3 2009, 04.11']I'm surprised to see that I'm the only one here who thought the refs called the fumble wrong. On all the replays I saw, it was clear to me that Warner's arm had reached the full extent of the backward motion and had begun moving forward before the tackler got his hand to the ball or before Warner lost control of the ball.
As I understand the ruling, that, combined with the fact that the ball hit the ground before being caught made it an incomplete pass and not a fumble. No?[/quote]
You're not alone, but I'm having a hard enough time getting anyone to admit it should've been reviewed, let alone talk about the play.

[quote]ETA: Also, would it have killed the any of the Steelers' Coach, QuarterBack or MVP to acknowledge the amazing performance put in by their opponents?[/quote]
Remember, when Steve Young couldn't express how awesome Big Ben was, Big Ben filled in. "Legendary!"

[quote name='Paddy' post='1671993' date='Feb 3 2009, 04.11']Loved the game, but I really thought the team who played the best lost.

On that final fumble call, I too was surprised that the decision on it was made so quickly.
My initial thought was that Warner had bottled that play, waiting far too long to make the pass, but it was pointed out to me that he probably had to wait that long for Fitzgerald to get far enough down the field, so I'm not sure.

I'm surprised to see that I'm the only one here who thought the refs called the fumble wrong. On all the replays I saw, it was clear to me that Warner's arm had reached the full extent of the backward motion and had begun moving forward before the tackler got his hand to the ball or before Warner lost control of the ball.
As I understand the ruling, that, combined with the fact that the ball hit the ground before being caught made it an incomplete pass and not a fumble. No?

ETA: Also, would it have killed the any of the Steelers' Coach, QuarterBack or MVP to acknowledge the amazing performance put in by their opponents?
I thought that showed a bit of a lack of class. Though I admit that my opinion here might be tainted by the fact that such a thing would be usual in the sports I follow better - maybe it's standard to not acknowledge the opponent's efforts when you've only just about won in American Football?[/quote]

All of them have done so. Tomlin has done so in just about every interview I've seen him give.

[quote name='Swordfish' post='1672073' date='Feb 3 2009, 14.11']All of them have done so. Tomlin has done so in just about every interview I've seen him give.[/quote]
Except for the one on the pitch after the presentation, that is.

We don't get any interviews over here except during the game and immediately afterwards, so I haven't seen any other interviews.
If they've given due credit in those, then fair dues.
It just left a bit of a stink with me that they were all so enamoured of themselves when, as far as I could see they had one freak play (the 100yd interception return) and one mistake by one defender (Holmes being left wide open on the 40yd play in the last drive that turned an attempt to tie the match into a game-winning chance) which only just left them in a winning position.

To be clear, I think that Harrison's interception return was fantastic. The blocking done by the rest of the Steelers' D was immense. But it was a freak play, where the cost to the Cardinals was disproportionate to the mistake they made.
And Holmes and Roethlisberger were simply outstanding in that last drive.
But they still got lucky with just how it turned out.

[quote name='Paddy' post='1672262' date='Feb 3 2009, 11.38']To be clear, I think that Harrison's interception return was fantastic. The blocking done by the rest of the Steelers' D was immense. But it was a freak play, where the cost to the Cardinals was disproportionate to the mistake they made.[/quote]

One of the things I have started hearing some noise about - and this may be only due to living in NE, I really don't know - is that in the return there was apparently a "blatant clip" around the Cardinal 35. The only replay I have seen there was a block that I thought they might be referring to, but I haven't seen enough to really get a good view. Is there any traction to this or is it just some sour grapes being squished?

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1672274' date='Feb 3 2009, 08.43']One of the things I have started hearing some noise about - and this may be only due to living in NE, I really don't know - is that in the return there was apparently a "blatant clip" around the Cardinal 35. The only reply I have seen there was a block that I thought they might be referring to, but I haven't seen enough to really get a good view. Is there any traction to this or is it just some sour grapes being squished?[/quote]

B. Sour grapes.

[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1672274' date='Feb 3 2009, 11.43']One of the things I have started hearing some noise about - and this may be only due to living in NE, I really don't know - is that in the return there was apparently a "blatant clip" around the Cardinal 35. The only reply I have seen there was a block that I thought they might be referring to, but I haven't seen enough to really get a good view. Is there any traction to this or is it just some sour grapes being squished?[/quote]

Eh. I thought for a while there, from one angle, that it looked like Warner's half assed attempt to make the tackle resulted in him getting pulled down by the face mask, but I've only seen it once, so I dismiss it as something my mind made up. A lot happened in that play, but somehow I don't think there's any conspiracy there...people will get over it easier than some other things I'm sure...

[quote name='Paddy' post='1672262' date='Feb 3 2009, 10.38']It just left a bit of a stink with me that they were all so enamoured of themselves when, as far as I could see they had one freak play (the 100yd interception return) and one mistake by one defender (Holmes being left wide open on the 40yd play in the last drive that turned an attempt to tie the match into a game-winning chance) which only just left them in a winning position.

To be clear, I think that Harrison's interception return was fantastic. The blocking done by the rest of the Steelers' D was immense. But it was a freak play, where the cost to the Cardinals was disproportionate to the mistake they made.
But they still got lucky with just how it turned out.[/quote]

I'll start by stating that I am a Steelers fan, always have been. So I am probably biased.

But, speaking of freak plays/single mistakes...Fitzgerald's 65 yd touchdown? Yes, Arizona had been moving the ball well on the drive previous to that, but surely this counts as a single mistake for Pittsburgh's defense? To that point, they had kept Fitzgerald very well-restrained. (Yes, I acknowledge that the 100 yd INT return was more of a freak occurrence than this play)

I also think the refs were too involved in the game. It went both ways, but I know on one particular drive the Steelers benefitted crazy amounts. A large number of the calls in that game were borderline and probably should have just been let go so they could play the damn game. The running-into-the-kicker was an example of this (though it had no impact on the final score, since they got the same field goal they would have)

[quote name='Lightning Lord' post='1672310' date='Feb 3 2009, 12.26']But, speaking of freak plays/single mistakes...Fitzgerald's 65 yd touchdown? Yes, Arizona had been moving the ball well on the drive previous to that, but surely this counts as a single mistake for Pittsburgh's defense? To that point, they had kept Fitzgerald very well-restrained. (Yes, I acknowledge that the 100 yd INT return was more of a freak occurrence than this play)[/quote]

I don't know. Once Fitzgerald bronke into the open field, I almost had the impression that the Steelers almost wanted to let him go the distance to leave that much more time on the clock... :P

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1672342' date='Feb 3 2009, 11.53']I don't know. Once Fitzgerald bronke into the open field, I almost had the impression that the Steelers almost wanted to let him go the distance to leave that much more time on the clock... :P[/quote]

He did quite suspiciously just fly right through a very speedy/talented secondary, didn't he... :huh:

[quote name='Paddy' post='1672262' date='Feb 3 2009, 08.38']Except for the one on the pitch after the presentation, that is.

We don't get any interviews over here except during the game and immediately afterwards, so I haven't seen any other interviews.
If they've given due credit in those, then fair dues.
It just left a bit of a stink with me that they were all so enamoured of themselves when, as far as I could see they had one freak play (the 100yd interception return) and one mistake by one defender (Holmes being left wide open on the 40yd play in the last drive that turned an attempt to tie the match into a game-winning chance) which only just left them in a winning position.

But they still got lucky with just how it turned out.[/quote]

That's an interesting way of looking at it. i suppose by that logic, every play of every game could be considered 'lucky'.

Harrison made an exceptional play, as he has done all season. Certainly there is luck involved there, but it's certainly not all, or even mostly, luck.

And sometimes it isn't a mistake by a defender, but an excellent play by a receiver to get open, not to mention an excellent play by big ben to avoid the sack. Same for the Fitzgerald touchdown catch in the endzone. he was well covered, but warner made a great throw, and he made a great catch.

that's not really fluky, it's great execution.

[quote name='Daeric' post='1672345' date='Feb 3 2009, 09.57']It did seem that once he got that open space the Pits D gave up.[/quote]

Except the three guys, including harrison, that were trying to chase him down you mean?

;)

harrison actually set an inadvertent pick on I think polamalu at around the 30 yard line that took him completely out of the play for all intents and purposes. And it's not like Fitzgerald is slow.

[quote]Except the three guys, including harrison, that were trying to chase him down you mean?

wink.gif[/quote]

You mean those guys who didn't even come close to trying. Only one Pittsburgh player even made the attempt to keep up with him.

By the way, found this story hilarious:

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Matt-Millen-s-NBC-commentary-comes-with-a-warnin?urn=nfl,138326"]Detroit Fires Back At Millen[/url]

From the story:

[quote]Every time a certain familiar face showed up on camera Sunday during NBC's Super Bowl pregame show, Channel 4 ran a scroll at the bottom of the screen:

"Matt Millen was president of the Lions for the worst eight-year run in the history of the NFL. Knowing his history with the team, is there a credibility issue as he now serves as an analyst for NBC Sports?"[/quote]

:rofl:

Just awesome!

[quote name='Daeric' post='1672485' date='Feb 3 2009, 11.34']You mean those guys who didn't even come close to trying. Only one Pittsburgh player even made the attempt to keep up with him.[/quote]

That's just not true. You might be underestimating how fast fitzgerald is.

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1672510' date='Feb 3 2009, 11.57']By the way, found this story hilarious:

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Matt-Millen-s-NBC-commentary-comes-with-a-warnin?urn=nfl,138326"]Detroit Fires Back At Millen[/url]

From the story:

:rofl:

Just awesome![/quote]

Ha! i love it!

i also particularly enjoyed seeing the walrus practically blow a gasket trying to be impartial in the pre-game show.... You could tell it was killing him. he must really need the money.

Archived