Yellow fever

Yagathai

[quote name='SwordoftheMorning' post='1677115' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.30']Its an offensive question to ask because you have automatically labled any White male with a Asian gf as having Yellow fever. You have no idea WHY those two particular people have become a couple, you are just stereotyping.... with a paternlistic putdown attitude about White men going after "your" women .

As long as I am single, I'll date who I damn well please without regards to color or ethnicity. But since I'm a Black man, anytime I have a White GF, I am accused of having "Jungle Fever". It's irksome and ugly. And maybe because I deal with it on a regular basis, I am sensitive to the bigotry even when its not aimed at me.[/quote]

No man, what I said was I thought that white guys that have a thing for Asian women are creepy. I've got nothing at all against interracial relationships (obviously), so long as the relationship in question is about a person liking another person, not a person getting turned on by a racial stereotype.

And I thought that Jungle Fever went the other way around -- white folks with a black fetish. Thanks for that tidbit. I learn something every day!

[quote name='Yngwiegathai' post='1677122' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.33']No man, what I said was I thought that white guys that have a thing for Asian women are creepy. I've got nothing at all against interracial relationships (obviously), so long as the relationship in question is about a person liking another person, not a person getting turned on by a racial stereotype.

[b]And I thought that Jungle Fever went the other way around -- white folks with a black fetish. [/b]Thanks for that tidbit. I learn something every day![/quote]

It's used both ways.

If there's any generalization to be make, it is that the relationship could be seen as creepy if the white guy is much older while the asian girl is quite young, but it's probably consensual and the girls are probably quite adept at gold-digging.

When both parties are of the same age, it tends to be more because of cultural reasons. For example, my kid brother is going through that emo-phase, and one day he brought home this white emo girlfriend to introduce to us (it didn't last long). Also, my cousin who's extremely religious went on a missionary to Vietnam and China and came back married to a white guy who was part of that mission.

[quote name='Yngwiegathai' post='1677078' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.18']Nah. Asian chicks look too much like my sister for me to want to date them. ;)[/quote]
So, are you creepy for wanting to date non-Asian women? :)

I personally like brunettes, mainly of the Mediterranean region (which includes Latin women - ie my wife). I've always thought Asian women were attractive too, I just never met one that I clicked enough to date. I've dated a few blonds in my day, but it was the brunettes that always turn my head.

I knew a guy who had a thing for Japanese girls and no other. He was also heavily into their culture. And he was as white as you can be.It's a preference.

Are there some creepy guys who just like "luv u long time" gals? Sure. There are also guys with red head fetishes in the same fashion. I don't think Asian fetishes are any worse than any other.

[quote name='Yngwiegathai' post='1677122' date='Feb 6 2009, 13.33']No man, what I said was I thought that white guys that have a thing for Asian women are creepy.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, how is this any different from someone 'having a thing' for blondes, for example?

[quote name='Triskele' post='1677147' date='Feb 6 2009, 12.46']This girl is 23 and I'm 28. I don't think that's in the creepy stage at all, I just have never dated someone that was younger than me by more than a year. This girl is in grad school and seems more mature than me as if probably often the case.[/quote]

Not at all; I'm talking about decades apart in the cases I've seen.

[quote name='RhaegarTar' post='1677143' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.44']Kristen Kreuk is hot as hell. Her current reappearance on smallville isn't so great. Perhaps because shes dropped the "girl next door" thing.

:)

Carry on![/quote]

You don't like the bad ass Lana L? Shame on you. At least we know what the Legion was referring to now?

I also agree that every race and ethnicity have women that I find both attractive and unnattractive. There is more to it though. There are personalities that come in to play as well. Tell me that a person has never become more or less attractive after they opened their mouth...

[quote name='SwordoftheMorning' post='1677115' date='Feb 6 2009, 14.30']Its an offensive question to ask because you have automatically labled any White male with a Asian gf as having Yellow fever. You have no idea WHY those two particular people have become a couple, you are just stereotyping.... with a paternlistic putdown attitude about White men going after "your" women .[/quote]

No, that's not what Yag had said or done.

The phenomenon that Yag is talking about is the fetishizing of a whole ethnicity. It not about one white person dating one Asian person. It's about one white person dating an Asian person [i]on account of the Asian ethnicity[/i] due to some notion that this white person has on what being Asian means.

Some examples that I have encountered:

"Can you introduce me to your friend Maggie? I really like Asian girls because they are so nice and so not bitchy."

"Do you know of other gay Asian guys I can date? I like the Asian accent that you guys have when you speak."

"I love Asian guys! You are so small and smooth and tiny!"

[quote name='Balefont' post='1677155' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.48']I think this thread is sexist and should be closed.[/quote]

There are a lot of things that could be said about this thread - like it might be racist, but, if I'm being honest, I fail to see how it's treating women as inferior to men. But I know I'm not the ultimate arbiter of what is and isn't sexist - just my perspective.

And that's probably the last time I'll say anything like that in any thread for the rest of 2009.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1677163' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.52']There are a lot of things that could be said about this thread - like it might be racist, but, if I'm being honest, I fail to see how it's treating women as inferior to men. But I know I'm not the ultimate arbiter of what is and isn't sexist - just my perspective.

And that's probably the last time I'll say anything like that in any thread for the rest of 2009.[/quote]

Raid Raid Raid, we must needs hang out sometime.

1) I was being wry or sarcastic or whatever, not serious.

2) It is sexist because it is leaving out us crackers that have Asian guy fetishes. I mean, c'mon, Takeshi Kaneshiro? :drool:

Look.

It's not that someone liking Asian is a problem. It's not, in itself.

It's the reason behind it that can be a problem.

We all have physical types that we are attracted to. That's not the problem. Liking certain physical features, even when those features tend to happen only/predominantly in one ethnic group, is not in itself racist. It's about the attitude over all and the other things that go into it. This is not about making PC cocktail out of overblown sense of entitlement - it's about a real and documented aspect of dominant culture exoticizing a minority culture as part of the greater complex interplay between races and ethnic groups.

ETA: For Asian men, it's not the exoticizing, it's the emasculation. In gay culture, the same racial stereotypes that Asian women face in the predominant white culture of the U.S. get applied to gay Asian men.

[quote name='Balefont' post='1677167' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.56']2) It is sexist because it is leaving out us crackers that have Asian guy fetishes. I mean, c'mon, Takeshi Kaneshiro? :drool:[/quote]

That's not sexist. That's just good taste. ;)

[quote name='cyrano' post='1677178' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.00']Anyways, no one has a fetish for Indian men. It is known.[/quote]

I know one (way back). He's white and gay, though. So, no use to you, I fear.

Archived