College Basketball

RedEyedGhost

[quote name='Rhom' post='1682916' date='Feb 11 2009, 10.57']Its the game of the year until the next time they play anyways. Based solely on recent performances, I would have to agree with you... but Coach K always seems to get his kids up for UNC. I think it will be a closer game. I haven't seen nor heard much from Roy's group in the last few weeks, so I honestly don't know what kind of mindset they're in. Its always a good game though... you just have to mute your TV to watch it on ESPN![/quote]
Oh, absolutely...my comment was entirely tongue in cheek. These two could be middle of the road and it still would get more attention than say an OK - UCLA game. I want to see Duke win, give some more legitmacy to their record and any discussion in Final Four scenarios. I want to never hear Vitale again.

I think it being quiet around Chapel Hill has been good for them after all the hoopla the year started off with - on a 7 game win streak, all in the ACC. FSU gave them a scare, but that is a team that just always appears to be a giant killer, other than that game, they have been pretty much in control of their wins.

and on a bigger note, I think I finally figured out the Add Quote thing!! Get Dickie V to interview me!!

I would also be up for getting involved in a pool of some kind. Like YW says, yahoo's probably the best option.

:rofl: @ REG

I am looking forward to this game tonight. Will have to watch it on mute, but hey, what're you gonna do.

Greywolf,

[quote]ACC game of the year tonight on Tobacco Road. UNC/Duke for first place in the ACC and a big leg up for the top seed in the ACC tourney. Looking at Dukes performances recently, I fully expect that UNC will take this by at least 10.[/quote]

Hmmm, at Cameron Indoor? I seriously doubt it, even if I do think Duke is overmatched. I'm expecting a pretty close one.

rhom,

[quote]Tough one to take last night add-on. I pretty much only saw the bottom line, but I know how it feels for your team to seem so inconsistent it makes you want to ask the ride attendant to stop and let you off.[/quote]

We had fifteen points in the first half. Fifteen!! With all the yelling I've been doing at the t.v., it's hardly surprising the neighbors refuse to make eye contact.

[quote]Speaking of ups and downs... it wasn't pretty, but the Cats got a much needed win last night. Billy Donovan 2.0 (Calathes) had a solid night, I bet he's really feeling it today after such a great night and then he misses his free throws with a chance to send the game into overtime. But them are the breaks and the SEC East is now a four way tie. Here's hoping![/quote]

Yeah, I was flipping back and forth between that and the Bulls game. Good win for you guys, but damn, you gotta feel for Calathes. The kid who fouled him has to be feeling like the luckiest guy on campus right now.

ETA
[quote name='Greywolf2375' post='1682978' date='Feb 11 2009, 10.33']and on a bigger note, I think I finally figured out the Add Quote thing!! Get Dickie V to interview me!![/quote]

teach me

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1682954' date='Feb 11 2009, 11.21']I'M SO PUMPED ABOUT THE SUPER IMPORTANT DUKE-UNC GAME TONIGHT!!!! DID YOU KNOW SUPER AWESOME TYLER HANSBROUGH CAN FINISH OFF HIS CAREER WITH FOUR WINS IN CAMERON?? THAT'S AMAZING!![/quote]

*Fucking dies*

:rofl:

Is anybody else sick of ESPN making 'elbows' their hot topic for the past month? I'm sorry, but if some 6'nothin" guard smothers a bigman after he has pulled down a rebound then it's his own damn fault for catching one in the grill. While they're both going for the rebound is another story, because they both have a right to go after the ball.

[quote name='add-on' post='1682985' date='Feb 11 2009, 09.37']I would also be up for getting involved in a pool of some kind. Like YW says, yahoo's probably the best option.[/quote]

We had one last year, and I think it was YW that started it. I've got the link and password on my home computer, so I'll check that out tonight.

It was yahoo btw.

[quote]:rofl: @ REG[/quote]

I should have thrown in a couple BAYBEEEES to really sell it.

[quote]I am looking forward to this game tonight. Will have to watch it on mute, but hey, what're you gonna do.[/quote]

I think it has a 35% chance of being a good game. I really think one team will have an off night and the other will blow them out. I have no idea which team will do what because they've both been so up and down this year. I am sure ESPN will anoint whomever wins the best thing this century though.

[quote]We had fifteen points in the first half. Fifteen!! With all the yelling I've been doing at the t.v., it's hardly surprising the neighbors refuse to make eye contact.[/quote]

We held MU to 16 first half points on Monday, and still ended up losing. :thumbsdown: Of course them getting 23 2nd half FTA isn't going to help us win.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1683081' date='Feb 11 2009, 12.50']We held MU to 16 first half points on Monday, and still ended up losing. :thumbsdown: Of course them getting 23 2nd half FTA isn't going to help us win.[/quote]

I read a message board post earlier today that compared Kansas's loss to Missouri to Florida's against Kentucky. They had some valid points to it which all seem to be slipping my mind at the moment.

Duke v. Carolina will always have a special place in my heart because I watched last year's second game from a hotel after being kicked out of my house by my now ex-wife. It was nice, it was a big snowstorm and the room was warm with a big flat screen TV. Honestly one of my best non-UK basketball memories! The beginning of a great year for me! :lol:

Thankfully, as long as I live in Charlotte, I will always have the regional Raycom broadcast (in HD too) to watch, over the ESPN Duke/UNC lovefest. I will never have to hear Vitale/Patrick call a Duke/UNC game again! Yay...

Who misses Billy Packer? He would have had a great defense for Singler's elbow. "The heat in the building made his palm sweaty, so as he attempted to grab hold of the ball with force, it slipped off with force and unintentionally connected with Hansbrough's head."

I kid. I don't miss him. I know that Gottleib and Bilas have their critics, but I'd rather listen to them than the 2 old clowns (Vitale, Packer).

I'm still not quite sure how the hell he got away with that elbow. Otherwise, it was a decent game. Duke's typical weaknesses reared their ugly heads. With another game against UNC, a return date against Wake, other tough ACC games, and the ACC tourney in front of them... I'd say Duke is pretty much out of the running for a #1 seed.

Based on what I've seen in the last couple of weeks, it would be very hard for me to go against a UConn v. UNC prediction for the national title. Deep down, I'd love to see Thabeet and Hansborough go at it.

Sorry about the double post... but for a Kentucky fan desperately hoping for a ray of sunshine, this is worth it.

[url="http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2009/feb/12/fortson-suspended-indefinitely/?subscriber"]Courtney Fortson of Arkansas suspended indefinitely.[/url] That means he won't play Saturday when the Cats come to town. Even with the Razorpelphries slumping worse than UK, I wasn't looking forward to a trip to Fayetteville. Its still far from a certain victory, but it became much less dicey without that speedy little thug out there.

Triple post now... Where the hell have those catholic boys at Notre Dame been hiding for the last month?!!? :stunned:

That was absolutely the worst ass-whuppin I've seen a Pitino team take since [url="http://etc.lawrence.com/galleries/kuky1989/"]this one.[/url] :tantrum:

I think Kent is gone, Oregon has not improved at all this year but has gotten worse. You know Phil wants to go out and get a big named coach for the Ducks and their new stadium. Deep down Kent knows he is probably gone, he has made some crazy comments to the press this year.

Well... I figure SJohn will come rolling in here on cloud 9 as soon as his celebratory hangover clears up. :cheers: Heckuva game for WVU last night. Every win they string together bumps Kentucky's RPI up ever so slightly... lets go Mountaineers!!!!

There are some decent games on today. If Georgetown is going to save their season, today against Syracuse is when it [i]has[/i] to start. UCLA could be in danger of a minor slide if they don't take care against Arizona today. I'm looking forward to seeing UConn play without Dyson, I think its a major hit to their national aspirations. I'm sure REG is eagerly watching to see if Kansas St will return to their doormat ways, or if last year's win over Kansas at home is the start of something bad for the Jayhawks. (No offense... but I'm pulling for KState today for the same RPI boosting reasons I have with WVU! ;) )

On the home front, there's no word yet wether Patrick Patterson will play today at Arkansas. He sprained his ankle on Tuesday late against Florida and has been "day to day" all week. I am catching that game and then its off for a Valentine's Day tryst. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

My god... I had to share this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ9Y_F3l-HU&eurl=http://www.aseaofblue.com/2009/2/13/758811/given-how-much-talk-this-h&feature=player_embedded"]Little ditty about Billy and Jeanine[/url]

If you aren't familiar with some of the latest "Gillispie is an asshole" talks, there has been quite a big deal made locally about the way Billy Clyde has handled his last two halftime interviews with Jeanine Edwards. First there was the Ole Miss game on ESPN where he responded to her with "I think that's just a bad question" and then there was the Florida game last week where she asked a rambling, long, non-sensical question to which he replied "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you." :rofl:

He called to personally apologize to her after the Ole Miss game, and I don't think the second one was really all that rude, but its gotten a lot of play in these parts. I thought the linked song was hilarious.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1686680' date='Feb 14 2009, 09.18']Well... I figure SJohn will come rolling in here on cloud 9 as soon as his celebratory hangover clears up. :cheers: Heckuva game for WVU last night. Every win they string together bumps Kentucky's RPI up ever so slightly... lets go Mountaineers!!!![/quote]

:lol: Excellent. Was a great game, we came in there confident, controlled the game, and actually played to our full potential. And [i]finally [/i]our shots were falling too. That has been just killing me all year, so it was really nice to see us put up 93. We really, really needed that one as Villanova is at the tail end of our most brutal stretch. Coming up we have a much more favorable lineup of Notre Dame, Rutgers, Cincy, USF, DePaul, and Louisville. Now, I definitely forsee an L or two in there but if we can make it through that last bit at 5-1 or 4-2 that would put us at 11-7 or 10-8 in the Big East going into the BE tournament. That should be enough to get into the NCAA tournament.

I definitely want to make it to the tournament, and I think we again have the potential to knock somebody off, however I see this team as being a lot like the one from two years ago. We were a young team that was on the bubble for the NCAA tournament. We ended up not making it in, but we did end up winning the NIT. I think that gave the team a lot of confidence going into last year when we made it into the Sweet Sixteen. Maybe my logic is flawed, but I guess what I'm saying is that I won't be terribly pissed if we dont make the NCAA becuase I think we can make a really deep run in the NIT and that might be better for the maturation and confidence of a young team than drawing a mid-range seed and losing in the first round of the tournament.

That said, the team that played last night was tournament-ready. Whether we can keep that up remains to be seen. Now is a great time to get hot.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1686680' date='Feb 14 2009, 07.18']I'm sure REG is eagerly watching to see if Kansas St will return to their doormat ways, or if last year's win over Kansas at home is the start of something bad for the Jayhawks.[/quote]

I wasn't worried about the game until about 5:00 into the first half. We came out extremely sluggish, extremely. We were down by 16 in the first half, but got back within 1 by halftime. Ended up winning by 11, very interesting and frustrating game.

I did learn something new about college basketball today. In the second half, KSU player Dennis Clemente was driving to the basketball, got fouled by KU player Brady Morningstar, after the initial foul Clemente gives Morningstar a frustration forearm shiver to the neck (no biggie) and then after Clemente has regained his footing he elbowed Morningstar in the back. As he should have, he got T'd up, but it was called an "intentional technical foul". I had no idea there it could be called that, but it was particularly awesome because Collins sank the two FTs, plus we got the ball because it was called "intentional", and then we made a 3, stretching the lead to 7, when had Clemente not elbowed Morningstar they could have tied it up.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1687042' date='Feb 14 2009, 17.31']Arizona is coming on strong. Just beat UCLA handily at home. UCLA was looking like they were about to separate after crushing Cal, Stanford, and Notre Dame in three straight but just went 0-2 in Arizona. The Pac-10 is all over the place. Nothing is certain other than Oregon is bad.[/quote]

I can't decide if the Pac 10 is worse than I thought or better... Arizona and UCLA are particularly enigmatic, both winning and losing games they should not.

Blake Griffin :eek: that's all.

Archived