College Basketball

RedEyedGhost

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1689980' date='Feb 17 2009, 17.52']I am kinda surprised they do not have one of Pat White :P[/quote]

Hmmm... I'd buy one..

No luck o' the Irish tonight. :smoking: Too bad espn360 sucks balls. Its better than nothing, but its hard to watch a game on there.

I apologize in advance to any Illinois lurkers...

The Fighting Illini are a fucking joke. They lost tonight [b]at home[/b] to Penn State [u][b]38-33[/b][/u].

[size=7]38-33[/size]

This is the second time this season that The Fighting Illini have failed to put up 40 points in a game, and that is absolutely pathetic for a top 25 team.

Yes. That was awful REG. Awful.

And somehow, someway... Kentucky has moved back into a four way tie for first place in the SEC east at 7-4. :o

Move me firmly into the believer category for Pitt. Lost amongst my severe and debilitating angst for all things Kentucky is my sincere appreciation for the performance they put on against UConn. They seem to be the total package of defense, timely offense, smart play, and toughness. I'll take them deep into March on my bracket for sure.

Sjohn... Ask and ye shall [url="http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/chirop1/mountaineer.png"]recieve.[/url]

:rofl:

After your Huggy post the other day, I ended up finding this website:

[url="http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/"]Obamaicon.me[/url]

I made my very own Gillispie [url="http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/chirop1/toughness.png"]poster.[/url] I even have an idea for a newspaper ad for my office now... [url="http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/chirop1/Mebama.png"]using this picture[/url] and then throwing in some sort of smarmy "Change your health" type talk underneath it. Heh.

Now that I think about it... this may be worth its very own topic.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1692685' date='Feb 19 2009, 13.36']Yes. That was awful REG. Awful.[/quote]

And the thing is, Penn State is not a very good defensive team. It's like the shot clock operator called in sick and Weber and DeChellis said "Screw it, we'll kick it like it's 1899."

I still can't believe that a top 25 team can put up fewer than 40 points [b]twice[/b].

Did you actually have the misfortune of viewing that travesty?

[quote]And somehow, someway... Kentucky has moved back into a four way tie for first place in the SEC east at 7-4. :o[/quote]

Wow! Those four SEC East teams should all make it, but what about the SEC West? LSU should make it, but will MSU? Their RPI is pretty bad at 78, and they're 1-3 against top 50 RPI teams. Right now, I don't think they're even in the "next 4 out" category.

[quote]Move me firmly into the believer category for Pitt. Lost amongst my severe and debilitating angst for all things Kentucky is my sincere appreciation for the performance they put on against UConn. They seem to be the total package of defense, timely offense, smart play, and toughness. I'll take them deep into March on my bracket for sure.[/quote]

I believe Pitt is a great team this year, but I won't believe they'll succeed in the tourney until they prove it to me. They haven't made it past the Sweet 16 this century FFS.

Just saw [url="http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/uncs-press-leaves-williams-blue"]this[/url] and :rofl:

It was a huge story when Roy said, "I don't give a shit about North Carolina right now." directly after losing the '03 title game... never thought I'd hear Saint Roy drop an F-bomb at a press conference. Hilarious.

I posted in the general thread too, but I came across [url="http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=914609"]this story[/url] about a high school game and just had to share. You see stories like this pop up from time to time, but they never cease to warm the heart.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1691703' date='Feb 18 2009, 23.24']I apologize in advance to any Illinois lurkers...

The Fighting Illini are a fucking joke. They lost tonight [b]at home[/b] to Penn State [u][b]38-33[/b][/u].

[size=7]38-33[/size]

This is the second time this season that The Fighting Illini have failed to put up 40 points in a game, and that is absolutely pathetic for a top 25 team.[/quote]

Makes me wonder, is this [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology"]Lunardi[/url] guy smoking crack?

He's got 8 Big 10 teams in the tourney? I'm not so sure about that.

Right now the #8 team in the BE is WVU with a #14 RPI and the #4 SOS. We're far from perfect but I'd take us against the #8 from any other conference. I see that Lunardi has us in there, but I dont know how he figures the Big 10 deserves that many bids when 2 of your top 5 teams can't break 40.

Just like football the Big 10 is OVER-RATED! *CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Though to be fair, I dont have a fucking clue what the hell is going down in the Pac10 this year. Its just wacky. I mean who really had Washington on top of the Pac 10 right now?

[quote name='Triskele' post='1694976' date='Feb 21 2009, 11.44']The Pac-10 might have 9 teams that would compete in the NIT and 0 that will go deep in the NCAA's. UCLA, Arizona, Washington, and Arizona State are all decent but I will be shocked if any of them get past the 16...actually I need to hold off on Arizona another couple of weeks and see if this resurgence is legit.[/quote]

I think it's fair to say that there's some sort of inverse correlation between college football and college basketball this season. The SEC is a joke, the Pac-10 is mediocre, the Big Ten is so-so, the ACC is strong and the Big East is absurdly talented. A perfect flip of the 2008 BCS conference "rankings."

Edit - Realized I forgot the Big 12, so I'll just throw them out there as an enigma. Didn't know what to make of them in football and I definitely don't know what to make of them in bball.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1694976' date='Feb 21 2009, 08.44']The Pac-10 might have 9 teams that would compete in the NIT and 0 that will go deep in the NCAA's. UCLA, Arizona, Washington, and Arizona State are all decent but I will be shocked if any of them get past the 16...actually I need to hold off on Arizona another couple of weeks and see if this resurgence is legit.[/quote]

That's the big problem with the bi-polar PAC 10 this year. I could see the teams in the tourney getting bounced in the fist couple rounds or getting hot and going deep. UCLA, Zona, or Washington can be very good of bad depending on what day it is. :dunno: I have absolutely no idea on what will happen, but think one of them make make an ok run.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1695233' date='Feb 21 2009, 17.10']Anyone seen these yellows uniforms that Maryland is wearing today? I've never seen them before. Pretty sharp I think but if I was a terp fan I would only want to bust them out occasionally.[/quote]

College Park is just barely outside of DC so theres a lot of Terps fans around and I've seen a few of thier games. Unless I've just caught the random games that they happen to be wearing them, theyve worn the yellow pretty regularly this season.

It only took OU losing the best player in CBB to make this OU-UT game a good one... and it sure has been good. Griffin looks absolutely stoned, there's no question that he has a concussion. Now KU gets to face the depleted Sooners on Monday... I'd much rather face them at full strength, but there's nothing that can be done about it.

Speculation on the intrawebs that Tyler Hansbrough literally crapped himself in today's game... [url="http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/Rockchalk1180/DSC02958.jpg?t=1235258399"]here's[/url] [url="http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/Rockchalk1180/DSC02962.jpg?t=1235258382"]the[/url] [url="http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/Rockchalk1180/DSC02962.jpg?t=1235258382"]evidence[/url].

[quote name='S John' post='1694319' date='Feb 20 2009, 14.42']Makes me wonder, is this [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology"]Lunardi[/url] guy smoking crack?

He's got 8 Big 10 teams in the tourney? I'm not so sure about that.

Right now the #8 team in the BE is WVU with a #14 RPI and the #4 SOS. We're far from perfect but I'd take us against the #8 from any other conference. I see that Lunardi has us in there, but I dont know how he figures the Big 10 deserves that many bids when 2 of your top 5 teams can't break 40.[/quote]

Lunardi is totally smoking crack if he thinks 8 teams from the big 11 get in to the tourney.

But I think his "job" is a complete joke, and care very little for what he does.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1695233' date='Feb 21 2009, 17.10']Anyone seen these yellows uniforms that Maryland is wearing today? I've never seen them before. Pretty sharp I think but if I was a terp fan I would only want to bust them out occasionally.

Just watched a very entertaining Washington State upset at UCLA. Only 2nd time ever that WSU has won down there. UCLA played great on Thursday night but not so much today. They just don't seem to be as good as the sum of their parts. And none of those hyped freshman are anything special so far.

And interesting note on Oregon State: They have four commitments from rivals.com top 150, two of which are ranked #'s 70 and 72. So they may end up with a top 25 recruiting class. Keep in mind that last year they were 0-18 and they've only made the post-season once since '92 or so. Is this the Craig Robinson/Obama's brother-in-law effect?[/quote]

What Robinson's done with the Beavs is incredible. OSU is one of the hottest teams in the country right now and has gone from winless in conference play to a potential -500 finish (with sweeps of California and Stanford.) I don't think [i]anyone [/i] wants to play them in the conference tournament. And clearly, Robinson is a damned good coach and a killer recruiter.

As an aside, Robinson's also leading for Rivals #50 recruit Terrence Boyd. Should he land him, he'd essentially be bringing in an entire starting lineup of Rivals150 athletes in 2010. To put that into context, Robinson has just one Rivals150 recruit on the roster right now.

Edit - [i]And[/i] Oregon State returns all but one of its point-scorers next season.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1695456' date='Feb 22 2009, 01.44']Is this guy Boyd a guy who is going to be on campus in 2009? Or not until 2010?

The Oregon State highlights even made ESPN today with SVP giving a little love to what Robinson has been doing. What people need to understand is that Oregon State didn't just go 0-18 last year. They were terrible in league. Typically they were down 20 at halftime and went on to lose by 30. They were even down 30+ at halftime a few times. I think they only had one or two games out of the 18 in which they even sniffed a shot at winning in the closing minutes.

A national bracket guy came on the radio last year and said that they were easily the worst team from a BCS league in recent memory. And now with the same players they are 7-8 in league. They are 4-0 against the Bay Area schools. They have a 3 point loss Arizona during Arizona's current 7-game win streak. I think Oregon State fans are already getting paranoid about how long he'll even stay around. I know that's getting way ahead of things but it's hard not to be excited after how far down they were last year. Up and coming coaches were turning down the interview for that job because they didn't think they could turn it around quick enough.[/quote]

I meant 2009. Robinson's actually gone on the record as saying he'd prefer to have that scholarship for next year's class (it's the only one left), but Boyd's an absolute stud and the spot is his if he wants it.

And as an Oregon-based guy, what's your feel for the mood in Corvallis? Would anything less than an NCAA Tournament bid in 2010 be considered a disappointment?

[quote name='Triskele' post='1695456' date='Feb 21 2009, 23.44']ETA: OK, I thought I was following the season pretty closely but I just reazlied what a nice year Missouri was having. That snuck up on my somehow. REG or anyone else who has the knowledge, can you give me a quick breakdown on them, what kind of team they are and who their key guys are?[/quote]

There two best players are both senior forwards: DeMarre Carroll - Mike Anderson's nephew, who transferred from Vandy after his sophomore year, and Leo Lyons from Kansas City who was very disappointed when KU didn't have a spot for him. Both are versatile and have developed well in Anderson's 40 minutes of what the fuck ever they're calling it now.

Their guards are... serviceable, but in the "40 min of..." what you need is a lot of serviceable guards just so they can keep throwing warm bodies at you. Other than Nolan Richardson's '94 Arkansas team, that style hasn't really ever won anything, because a veteran team, a team that can break the press, or a team with an equal (or greater) talent level will [i]almost always[/i] win.

FFS, KU is the 11th youngest team in the NCAA's this year, and we lost by only 2 at their place - all because of 27 turnovers. They'll beat up on a mid-major in the first round, probably win a tight one in the second, but beyond that it will be very tough for them to win (Anderson made it to the Sweet Sixteen in '04 with UAB, before get brutalized by Self and KU). I can possibly see them making the Elite 8 , but a Final Four would absolutely shock me.

Very good game against ASU and UA tonight... but really WTF was the deal with Sundevil fans rushing the court? It started with just a few and then others came down, but still #14 beating an unranked team and [i]anybody[/i] storming the court is pathetic.

The 'Nova 'Cuse game on CBS was pretty good too. I do wish CBS would have rocked a double or triple header though.

Kentucky's game against Tennessee was the most complete performance I've seen them put on all year. Prior to this season, I had not been to Rupp for an SEC game nor had I sat in the lower arena... I've now been to two and sat in cushy seats with built in cupholders both times. Big stuff! Sadly, I'll have to throw UT on the pile of tragic underachievers this year that includes UCLA, Georgetown, and Texas (OU win not withstanding) for me. Pearl has a lot of talent there this year, but really hasn't shown anything with them.

With UConn, Oklahoma, and UNC all losing does this let Pittsburgh jump up to number 1 later today? Or do we just keep everyone where they are?

Missouri's head coach is getting a lot of talk for the Alabama job opening. With his ties to UAB and the SEC, it would seem a natural fit. I really don't know how I would feel about it though... with St. Saban the Magnificent owning the social circles of the powerful in Tuscaloosa, I don't know if I would recommend Anderson take the job or not. Gottfried always brought in talent, so you know he can still pull the players. Its a toss up for me right now. Out of all the possible candidates, I'd be most happy with him if I were a Bama fan.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1695483' date='Feb 22 2009, 03.10'](Anderson made it to the Sweet Sixteen in '04 with UAB, before get brutalized by Self and KU).[/quote]

REG... this is another NCAA tourney game that we [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=244000049"]never discuss.[/url] Seriously sir. You repeatedly make these social mistakes. It needs to stop. Now.

Archived