TTTNE 244 Unchained love

BlueRose

Just some fun facts :)

[quote]More than a Hallmark holiday, Valentine's Day, like Halloween, is rooted in pagan partying.

The lovers' holiday traces its roots to raucous annual Roman festivals where men stripped naked, grabbed goat- or dog-skin whips, and spanked young maidens in hopes of increasing their fertility, said classics professor Noel Lenski of the University of Colorado at Boulder.

The annual pagan celebration, called Lupercalia, was held every year on February 15 and remained wildly popular well into the fifth century A.D.—at least 150 years after Constantine made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire.

"It is clearly a very popular thing, even in an environment where the Christians are trying to close it down," Lenski said. "So there's reason to think that the Christians might instead have said, OK, we'll just call this a Christian festival."

The church pegged the festival to the legend of St. Valentine.

According to the story, in the third century A.D. Roman Emperor Claudius II, seeking to bolster his army, forbade young men to marry. Valentine, it is said, flouted the ban, performing marriages in secret.

For his defiance, Valentine was executed in A.D. 270—on February 14, the story goes.

While it's not known whether the legend is true, Lenski said, "it may be a convenient explanation for a Christian version of what happened at Lupercalia"[/quote]

[quote]The lovers' holiday traces its roots to raucous annual Roman festivals where men stripped naked, grabbed goat- or dog-skin whips, and spanked young maidens in hopes of increasing their fertility[/quote]

Now there's a holiday I can support. :leer:

I do not go to work until Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, depending on how you see it.

And Harlot, I should make some bodily harm come to you for laughing at that. I was all nice and sleeping, and I was unable to go back to bed.

[quote name='Lucky Pierre' post='1686154' date='Feb 13 2009, 16.10']Im Naked :)[/quote]

Unless you tel me you are in your office or running out the door to catch a plane, I assume you are always posting naked. :P

Archived