Dollhouse

Guest Ro_

Guest thebadlady
[url="http://www.fox.com/dollhouse/?src=home_page_whats_on_tonight"]Crap, I missed the first 14 minutes.[/url] Just tuned in, the premise sounds sort of La Femme Nikitaish. I dig La Femme Nikita, so I am going to give this a shot.

Anyone else?

And yes, I do nothing but watch TV these days.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1686480' date='Feb 13 2009, 22.12']I am at nay right now, but am going to rewatch and give it another go without children jibbering in my face.[/quote]

:lol:

i can certainly identify with that!

[quote]I really hope the Friday night time slot doesn't hurt it too badly. I want it to go past 13 episodes this time.[/quote]

same here. friday night is like a death sentence.

I think the main 'problem' with it (if you can call it a problem) is that it's a lot more serious in tone than Whedon's previous stuff. There was some witty Whedonesque dialogue and at least one character who is a potential Wash/Xander happy-go-lucky-type, but the overall tone was quite serious. I'm not sure if it's the best first impression they could have made but I think it does have potential.

I liked it, rather a lot actually. It is more serious than his other shows, but I think that's fine. It fits Eliza Dushku who has always been a more serious type, and the show does revolve around her. I thought she was good, too. I had heard some not so good things about it and the NY Times review was lackluster, so maybe my expectations had been lowered by that, but I think it really has the potential to be a very good show.

[quote name='mister cobble' post='1686476' date='Feb 13 2009, 22.08']i don't have any network channels due to having direct tv. so, give it up people. yea or nay?[/quote]
Huh? I used to have Direct TV and I had network channels. They beam different signals for networks based on our location, so you get local channels too. Not sure how they do it, but it works. Besides, DirectTV is owned by Fox, I'd be stunned if they didn't have a way of getting Fox shows to you.

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1686487' date='Feb 13 2009, 22.27']I only really paid attention to the the first 15 minutes or so. Seemed okay, but certainly didn't grab me. Except for the moment where Helo showed up. Wonder where it's filmed? :)[/quote]
Well, it's set in L.A. and they are using L.A. exteriors for the establishing shots. They used exterior of the Argyle Hotel and Fenix Club for one scene. The interiors could be done anywhere, but the skylin outside the boss' office looks like the L.A. downtown skyline to me. I think she was across the building I used to work in.

[quote name='Brude' post='1686501' date='Feb 13 2009, 23.14']Huh? I used to have Direct TV and I had network channels. They beam different signals for networks based on our location, so you get local channels too. Not sure how they do it, but it works. Besides, DirectTV is owned by Fox, I'd be stunned if they didn't have a way of getting Fox shows to you.[/quote]

it's because i live in po-dunk phenix city, alabama, brude. phenix cable requires that you purchase a basic cable package to have access to those channels. we've tried through both direct tv and dish network to no avail.

in other news, i just watched it via sidereel.com and i enjoyed it. i'll continue to tune in.

Interesting premise, delivered much better then I expected. After just one ep its really hard to figure out how its gonna turn out. I think it needs a strong central plot to keep it going, but if echo escapes or anything the central premise totally breaks down. Will be interesting to see where they take it.

I thought some of the early lines were kinda laughable, too expositiony and hamfisted, and I found Eliza's first scene as the desperate girl being offered a deal to be... very awkward. She seems to still be getting comfortable with the role.

But it started to win me over as it went along. I think what might keep my interest is

SPOILER: Dollhouse
the fact that memories attached to the particular character trait remain. It seems like a way of humanizing what is sort of a very alien and unappealing process to have to watch. I hope that continues to be a running theme, but then again I don't want it to devolve into a "solve a borrowed character flaw per week" formula.

Also, all those shots of Eliza braless in a tanktop was... well, rank bribery, but well played, Fox.

Archived