Political maps

flensko

• 1 month later...
Keep in mind that much of this is from the perspective of the Maesters, and they may simply not have decent political maps with clearly delineated territory. For that matter, unless the boundaries fall upon rivers, these boundaries probably aren't clearly settled; if I remember right, before the Targaryens came, the Kings of the West (Lannisters) and of the Reach (Gardeners) were always fighting each other over particular pieces of territory.

• 2 months later...

Of the main land, I think I figured out approximate boundaries of these regions:

-Vale

-Stormlands

-Dorne

Had some help from the Tower of Hand site.

Vale: coast being the norther/eastern/southern borders, edge of mountains being the western border

Stormlands: coast being the norther/eastern/southern borders, some mountains & trees being the western border

Dorne: coast being eastern/southern/western borders, edge of mountains & some of coast being northern border

• 1 month later...

We've added two new maps at the Citadel which may help clarify the general boundaries of the larger regions, which you can find here (the political map is the last one). The full-color map by Tear is both the most-detailed and the best-looking map of this kind that we've seen anyone do so far. He spent a good deal of time researching other maps and the texts of the series to try and get things as right as he could.

We've added two new maps at the Citadel which may help clarify the general boundaries of the larger regions, which you can find here (the political map is the last one).

Those are great maps, although a minor niggle - the area/kingdom marked as "The Mountains of the Moon" should be labelled "The Vale".

Actually, Tear's maps were WIPs that he posted there, which is where I got sight of them and asked for permission to place them in the gallery. He's already added the Westeros map to the Finished maps section. :)

Actually, Tear's maps were WIPs that he posted there, which is where I got sight of them and asked for permission to place them in the gallery. He's already added the Westeros map to the Finished maps section. :)

This is what happens when I post whilst dashing out the door and not double checking stuff!

Interestingly, one of the other guys over there got his map of Richard Morgan's world printed in the UK pb of The Steel Remains.

Has the map-maker for the world book been picked yet and are you allowed to tell us who he is?

The map artist was picked out early on. His name is Michael Gellatly, as I recall, and he created map illustrations for Ironfire by David Ball and also some other books published by Bantam, Random House, and others (Michael Stackpole's Age of Discovery seems to be among them). I think in the U.K. Ironfire was titled The Sword and the Scimitar. He actually has a couple of blogs, one of which yields up this example of his maps. And here's another.

The map artist was picked out early on. His name is Michael Gellatly, as I recall, and he created map illustrations for Ironfire by David Ball and also some other books published by Bantam, Random House, and others (Michael Stackpole's Age of Discovery seems to be among them). I think in the U.K. Ironfire was titled The Sword and the Scimitar. He actually has a couple of blogs, one of which yields up this example of his maps. And here's another.

Smart! :)

Hi there,

I'm Tear from the Cartographer's Guild.

Ran (I guess it was Ran, his handle over there seems to be Balerion?) asked for permission to put my map up here.

Of course I had no objections. After all, I used the immense collection of knowledge about the books on this site as a resource, so it's only fair.

Also, the two main reasons why I created the map are:

1) I am a player in a pen and paper RPG campaign set in Westeros using the (relatively) new Green Ronin rules. It's tons of fun, and I wanted a poster map for private use, other than the one that comes with the game. Something to put up in our gaming room. My source file is even slightly bigger than the one posted here, to make sure it's good enough for printing.

2) To improve my mapping skills, of course.

I know it's not perfect, but I really tried not to make any blatant mistakes.

Our game is currently on hiatus for about a month since many fellow gamers currently enjoy their summer vacation. I might get back to it once we are back to full speed. I might also get back to it if new information becomes available with the publication of the next book.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Those are great maps, although a minor niggle - the area/kingdom marked as "The Mountains of the Moon" should be labelled "The Vale".

True.

That "political map" was never meant to be an actual map, though. I just did this one for myself to get a better feeling for the different areas.

Anyway, I updated the image in the WIP thread over at the Cartographer's Guild where this is from with the correct label. You can grab it from there and update the gallery if you want to.

Thanks guys.

I'm happy that you like it.

Guest Other-in-law
Hi there,

I'm Tear from the Cartographer's Guild.

Indeed, welcome to the board!

Having studied IaF geography myself a bit, I have a few questions...why the forest around Crakehall? Is it some etymology approach (I prefer to think that Castamere is on a lake along the river that runs past Casterly Rock on the basis of "mere" having an old meaning of lake, and the "-ly" suffix suggesting a connection between noble houses and rivers, from the Manderlys and the Mander, for example)? Your notions oof the locales of The Dyre Den, the Whispers, and Sow's Horn are fairly close to my own, but I'm curious why you didn't venture to speculate about other castles such as Darry? While the margin of error for it would be greater than that of the first two (which we at least know are on opposite coasts or Crackclaw Point) it should be no worse than that of the latter....indeed rather better, since we have a rough idea of how far it is from a definite place (the Trident), which we don't really for the seat of House Hogg. For that matter, Dosk on the northwestern coast of the Reach could also be placed with reasonable confidence.

Another minor nitpick... no "n" in Ashemark, and the Blueburn doesn't have a "y" in my edition of aFfC, which fits with the Scots usage of "burn" well enough. In any event, no offense intended, I just enjoy trying to puzzle these things out!

Thank you for the warm welcome Aratan and Other-in-law..

Having studied IaF geography myself a bit, I have a few questions...why the forest around Crakehall? Is it some etymology approach (I prefer to think that Castamere is on a lake along the river that runs past Casterly Rock on the basis of "mere" having an old meaning of lake, and the "-ly" suffix suggesting a connection between noble houses and rivers, from the Manderlys and the Mander, for example)?

If I remember correctly, the map from A Storm Of Swords had a few tree symbols there, which was the main reason to include a small forest in the area.

Your notions oof the locales of The Dyre Den, the Whispers, and Sow's Horn are fairly close to my own, but I'm curious why you didn't venture to speculate about other castles such as Darry? While the margin of error for it would be greater than that of the first two (which we at least know are on opposite coasts or Crackclaw Point) it should be no worse than that of the latter....indeed rather better, since we have a rough idea of how far it is from a definite place (the Trident), which we don't really for the seat of House Hogg. For that matter, Dosk on the northwestern coast of the Reach could also be placed with reasonable confidence.

You are right.

For The Dyre Den, the Whispers, and Sow's Horn I did some research, and they just kind of felt right there.

When I was reading about Darry and Dosk I just wasn't feeling as confident.

At least not enough to nail them down on the map just yet.

Eventually, I simply ran out of time.

But I'll definitely try to include both in potential future versions.

Another minor nitpick... no "n" in Ashemark, and the Blueburn doesn't have a "y" in my edition of aFfC, which fits with the Scots usage of "burn" well enough. In any event, no offense intended, I just enjoy trying to puzzle these things out!

The Ashemark typo was entirely my fault, but that is already fixed in my file over at the Guild.

You guys feel free to grab the latest version and update your gallery.

The Blue Byrn spelling probably originates from A Storm Of Swords too, if I remember correctly. I'll have to check on that.

Also, no offense taken at all. I'm really glad to get constructive feedback.

Even though I shelved the thing for now, I'm still more than open to any suggestions.

Thanks.

Yup, the map in A Storm of Swords (UK 2000 edition, the Geiger map) shows both a significant forest around Crakehall and extending up the coast towards Casterly Rock. The Blue Byrn is also spelt in that fashion on the map.

The only other suggestion that comes to mind is that the swamps and mires of the Neck should really extend east of Moat Cailin right to the coast, otherwise it looks like on the map that the castle could be outflanked to the east quite easily. I think I've suggested naming the mountains before. Maybe sticking a couple more small islands to the east of the Broken Arm and labelling them the Stepstones?

Erm, that's about it. I can't see anything else.

Guest Other-in-law
Yup, the map in A Storm of Swords (UK 2000 edition, the Geiger map) shows both a significant forest around Crakehall and extending up the coast towards Casterly Rock. The Blue Byrn is also spelt in that fashion on the map.

OK, so I finally dug out my old UK edition of aSoS, and I see all that. I notice that the area northeast of the Last River is labeled "the Lost Heath". Considering the Umber castle which is not far from there is named "the Last Hearth", could that be a typo on the map? And if so, could "byrn" be one as well? It strikes me as similar to the US edition West & Isles map in aFfC, where both Silverhill and Crakehall are misspelled.

I've always taken Lost Heath to be an error for Last Hearth, certainly. Similar in the AFfC map, I am suspicious that 'Sunkenwood' is supposed to be 'Snakewood', the Lynderly seat, but it's just a suspicion.

Archived