NBA

Arakasi

Well I guess the Suns feel silly about not trading Amare now. He has a torn retina and is out 8 weeks now. We'll see how run and gun works with him not being in the lineup. I'm guessing it will be okay, but they'll only make 7th or 8th and not the 4/5 they would have made with him in there healthy.

Plus KG is injured. For somewhere between 1 and 4 weeks apparently. This really helps Cleveland in locking up the number 1 seed in the east obviously.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1694002' date='Feb 20 2009, 13.04']Well I guess the Suns feel silly about not trading Amare now. He has a torn retina and is out 8 weeks now. We'll see how run and gun works with him not being in the lineup. I'm guessing it will be okay, but they'll only make 7th or 8th and not the 4/5 they would have made with him in there healthy.[/quote]

Difficult to play run and gun without the gun.
Bad break for the SUNS. Funny thing about the SUNS, is even if they are a lower seed, if healthy is going be a tough out with whom ever they match up with in the WEST, (providing Amare is ready) - they are going to take to them to task because no one is going to want to come off 82 games and have to have to run a track meet, so we'll see. Good news though they are back to their running selves and Terry Porter just completed his paperwork for unemployment so things could be worse in the desert...

OT...
Quite happy about the NO deal yesterday Shaq to the CAVS (and I being a CAVS fan). Didn't make sense for either team and looks like the PHO will need Shaq now more than before.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1694002' date='Feb 20 2009, 13.04']Well I guess the Suns feel silly about not trading Amare now. He has a torn retina and is out 8 weeks now. We'll see how run and gun works with him not being in the lineup. I'm guessing it will be okay, but they'll only make 7th or 8th and not the 4/5 they would have made with him in there healthy.

Plus KG is injured. For somewhere between 1 and 4 weeks apparently. This really helps Cleveland in locking up the number 1 seed in the east obviously.[/quote]

Keeping Shaq looks even better though....Still have to play the games but with KG out 4/5 weeks really hurts BOS (not a bad thig LOL) and it does improve CLE chances of claiming the home court. Odd trade deadline yesterday don't ya think??

[quote name='Commodore' post='1694138' date='Feb 20 2009, 14.47']Another devastating [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_VdySnHsJY"]NBA injury[/url], I don't see the Bucks recovering from this.

Word is Bango tore his ACL.[/quote]
He's lucky that's all he tore. Insult to injury after having his johnson used as a backboard.

So being a diehard Rockets fan I came across [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmT5VM4eZUE"]this video[/url] of the last time Houston won a playoff series. This was just a different era in the NBA, when arenas had a college atmosphere and there were so many stars, and NBC did a fantastic job. For whatever reason today's game just isn't the same, even though I still love it. I also forgot what a beast Barkley was.

Of course, Stockton would [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDi0Ce_Z5w&feature=related"]rip my heart out[/url] shortly after. Watch how Karl Malone acts as an offensive lineman blocking Drexler from getting to Stockton, total bullshit, but I'm not bitter lol. A Barkley/Olajuwon/Drexler finals against Jordan's Bulls would have been one for the ages.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1694333' date='Feb 20 2009, 14.59']Of course, Stockton would [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDi0Ce_Z5w&feature=related"]rip my heart out[/url] shortly after.[/quote]I can watch this clip over and over... "JOHN STOCKTON SENDS THE UTAH JAZZ TO THE NBA FINALS!" Even Sloan ran onto the court smiling. My sister had a poster of the shot and I coveted it. That was an amazing comeback game.

Jazz owner Larry H. Miller died on Friday. Not sure what'll end up happening, ownership wise, and if that'll change anything in management. I'm still pretty sure Sloan will coach till he decides it's time, but still, you never know. :unsure:

Boozer is expected to start tonight. Obviously, not a lot of minutes, but still. Plan is to bring AK, Millsap, and Harpring off the bench. I've really liked Millsap but this is probably the wisest move. He still gets into foul trouble and such, so this way he can be as aggressive as he likes to be without worrying so much. There's also talk of a Millsap/Boozer as 4 and 5. Don't like that plan personally--3 and 4 would be much better I think. So many teams in the West are just huge.

I have mixed feelings about all the injuries lately. Part of me is like "well, now you know how we've felt--we haven't had all 5 starters since pre-season and often only had 3 of them plus injured 6th men". And of course I like that it makes our playoff position more secure. But it's way more fun to play teams (and beat them) when they're at full strength.

[quote name='AutumnEvenings' post='1696632' date='Feb 23 2009, 12.42']I can watch this clip over and over... "JOHN STOCKTON SENDS THE UTAH JAZZ TO THE NBA FINALS!" Even Sloan ran onto the court smiling. My sister had a poster of the shot and I coveted it. That was an amazing comeback game.[/quote]

There is no team more despised in Houston than the Jazz. Their fans shout some of the vilest things at players. Jerry Sloan's strategy is to push and slap so much that the refs can't call everything, especially in Utah. Malone is one of the all time dirtiest players in the NBA.

But that's what makes sports great.

I'll admit I harbored quite a bit of ill feeling toward the Jazz of the late 90's. Beating them made it pretty easy to get over, though :P

And Malone being almost as dirty as Rodman was one of the things that made those two Finals series so epic.

And how 'bout those Celtics everybody? Completely decimated first Phoenix and then Denver. Not bad for being without Garnett. This could turn into a good thing for them. It could just mean KG's well-rested for the Playoffs.

[quote name='add-on' post='1698189' date='Feb 24 2009, 13.34']And Malone being almost as dirty as Rodman was one of the things that made those two Finals series so epic.[/quote]

Almost. And Rodman is a pale imitation of the master he learned under. The greatest player in the history of the NBA with no athletic ability. Who also had his own video game named after him.

[quote name='add-on' post='1698405' date='Feb 24 2009, 14.58']IMO, Portland's inability to move that contract was the biggest failure of the trade deadline.

/NBA sidebar[/quote]

According to reports Allen has had his personal fortune shrink quite a bit. Due to the ridiculousness of the Miles contract, Portland wanted that expiring contract. Rumor has it they turned down Vince + 2 draft picks for Raef + young guys.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1698394' date='Feb 24 2009, 14.52']Almost. And Rodman is a pale imitation of the master he learned under. The greatest player in the history of the NBA with no athletic ability. Who also had his own video game named after him.[/quote]
Hahaha

Too true

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1698424' date='Feb 24 2009, 15.18']According to reports Allen has had his personal fortune shrink quite a bit. Due to the ridiculousness of the Miles contract, Portland wanted that expiring contract. Rumor has it they turned down Vince + 2 draft picks for Raef + young guys.[/quote]
I actually just read that they turned down Vince + 2 first rounders (2011) for just LaFrentz.

I also read that Portland turned down a trade for Wallace because Charlotte wanted Batum included in the deal.

I understand the possible reasons for turning down the first (possible chemistry issues, Vince's big contract), but I can't justify turning down the second.

Loved the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3928400"]Simmons article[/url] on Baron Davis. Whatever else you wanna say about the guy, Bill Simmons can flat out write.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1698610' date='Feb 24 2009, 17.15']Keep in mind though that there is some value for Portland in keeping the contract as well because now it's our books that he will come off. Had we moved him for a player it better have made total basketball sense because it most likely would have been a guy (like Carter) with multiple years remaining. So I agree that it was a fine asset and we probably should have been able to find a deal, but at the same time not making a move has its benefits as well. If the right deal wasn't there, it's not the end of the world for us to hang on to him and watch it expire.[/quote]
I understand that, and you're right, it's definitely not the end of the world. But latest reports have New Jersey basically giving Vince away. I do understand the issues people have with making this particular deal (I was something like 60/40 against it, myself), but that wasn't the only deal out there.

The Wallace deal, for instance, is something that I think should have happened.

They had a chance to make their team instantly better and didn't take it. I understand that they have a core of young players they really like, but so did the Bulls a mere two-three years ago.

ETA: Some developments on the buyout front:

NY has finally reached a buyout agreement with Marbury, so he'll most likely end up in Boston. It'll be interesting to see how that works out.

Boston has also reached an agreement with Mikki Moore. I really think that could end up being a mistake. Now, if OKC does buy out Joe Smith, it's pretty likely he ends up in Cleveland. Joe Smith is a much better player than Moore, so Boston could easily end up hurting their chances with this signing.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1698767' date='Feb 24 2009, 19.50']The Wallace one that you brought up...I don't know if that's true but that would be interesting and I think I would have wanted to do that one. Batum is intriguing but Wallace fits such a good need for us. Wallace was the rumor I wanted the most by far. The last rumor I'd heard though was that Carolina never actually put Wallace on the table. Who knows what the truth is.

If we could have gotten Carter for almost nothing, it is more intriguing but the more that I thought about Vince the less I wanted him. Our team has great chemistry and I just think he had too much potential to change the feel of the locker room. I think G Wallace could have been a smooth transition.[/quote]
That's fair. I do remember reading what I mentioned about the Wallace trade a day or two after the deadline on ESPN. And I may have misspoke before -- Charlotte wanted Portland to add Batum to a LaFrentz + Rodriguez package. Not sure if I was unclear on that. That's still a trade I would make, but you're right, I guess we'll never know what really went down.

And I'm still one for downplaying the chemistry issues as far as VC would be concerned. It's really not fair to judge him on his actions in Toronto when the latest evidence we have shows him willing to take a backseat to Harris. Like I said before, the problem I had with that trade was the amount and length of his contract. I believe Portland is going to need to pay both Roy and Aldridge before Carter's current contract is out. And that may not be something that would have been possible.

In unrelated news, I am liking this new Bulls squad. We can make us some shots. Hopefully we can put a nice little run together here and get into the Playoffs. With a game left against Milwaukee (one game ahead) and two apiece against Detroit and Philly (both two games ahead), it's not impossible for us to sneak all the way up to sixth. Especially with the latter two teams in the midst of decent-sized skids. We've got three more games by Saturday. We'll see if tonight's game against Orlando was a fluke or a sign of things to come.

[quote]can anyone name the best white American basketball player?[/quote]

John Stockton. :love:

But if you mean current...hmm. Of course, I almost want to say Matt Harpring, largely because he's...I mean, I doubt any of you saw the Utah/Atlanta game from the other night. Josh Smith flagrantly fouled Harpring (who had earlier taken an elbow to the face) when he (Matt) went for a layup. Harpring landed on his head (tried to find it on Youtube, but can't), and rather than rolling around and crying, he jumped right to his feet and tried to murder Smith. He had to be held back by Korver, crashed into a cameraman, and then was finally subdued (upon which he held his head and didn't cry). It was awesome. In his post-game interview he was just like "Well, I got real mad, and you don't just lay down after taking a hit, my dad taught me that." :lol:

But you're right--most of the 'white guys' who start are foreign. I'll give this some thought.

(P.S. I also agree that Mikki Moore is bad for Boston.)

Archived