NBA

Arakasi

[quote name='Triskele' post='1699103' date='Feb 25 2009, 02.47']In suddenly unrelated news...can anyone name the best white American basketball player? I think it's kinda curious. I mean, there is not one white guy that is an all-star that is from the US. Nowitzki, Turkoglu, Ginobli, ...you could call these guys white but what American belongs?[/quote]
I want this definition to be expanded to include Canadians. Canadians are still white guys, right?

I just want to be able to say,

Steve Nash.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1699730' date='Feb 25 2009, 14.28']Nope. No Nash.[/quote]

*cries*

Then I have to agree on David Lee.

[quote name='Slurktan' post='1699736' date='Feb 25 2009, 14.33']Brook Lopez?[/quote]
I'm almost positive the Lopez bros. aren't all white.

[quote name='add-on' post='1699746' date='Feb 25 2009, 15.39']I'm almost positive the Lopez bros. aren't all white.[/quote]

Their father is Cuban, IIRC.

If we are counting mixed race players, I would go with Shane Battier, since he's the man according to NYT. Plus, I think Commodore would be happy with the choice. :P

[quote name='AutumnEvenings' post='1699808' date='Feb 25 2009, 15.21']Jason Kidd's mixed, isn't he?[/quote]
Yeah. His dad's black and his mom's white, iirc.

Just wanted to add that I think this may be the strangest conversation we've ever had in here. :wideeyed:

Good F^ing question. Not many US born white guys in the Association, at least productive players. You would have to say Mr Double - Double David Lee as the leading candidate right now.

The other guys are all exports.
Wow, never really put much thought into. Far cry from 15 + years ago. Obvious answers would have been Bird, Stockton, McHale, Mullin - and those guys are all time greats but the second tier guys, guys like Price, Hornacek, Chambers, Laimbeer, Kiki, Chapman, Thunder Dan - heck Jack Sickma, Scottie Skilles or Gugs are better than 99% of the us born white guys playing right now.

It has to be Detlef Schrempf's fault!

Oh well...Such is life, doesn't matter to me either way...

Luke Walton is definitely not it. Troy Murphy might be a decent choice.

Hard for me to judge David Lee. He's having a good season but the numbers are so inflated in D'antoni's system, especially when the team is just aimless. I just cannot tell if all the hype is justified. But he does have potential to be the best of the bunch.

Too bad Kirk Hinrich is dead. Ditto for Adam Morrison.

[quote name='add-on' post='1698543' date='Feb 24 2009, 16.40']Hahaha

Too true

I actually just read that they turned down Vince + 2 first rounders (2011) for just LaFrentz.

I also read that Portland turned down a trade for Wallace because Charlotte wanted Batum included in the deal.[/quote]

Do draft picks count in salary figures for trades? Because otherwise isn't Carter's contract too much higher than Raef's to make the trade? There is an over 4 million dollar difference there. I know there is a percentage range it can be in, but I thought they would need to toss one young guy to make the money work.

[quote name='aeu' post='1699943' date='Feb 25 2009, 16.55']Too bad Kirk Hinrich is dead.[/quote]
I will fight you.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1700009' date='Feb 25 2009, 17.59']Do draft picks count in salary figures for trades? Because otherwise isn't Carter's contract too much higher than Raef's to make the trade? There is an over 4 million dollar difference there. I know there is a percentage range it can be in, but I thought they would need to toss one young guy to make the money work.[/quote]
I do not know, sir. I believe I read it in Ford's chat the other day. I don't believe draft picks figure in, though they will eventually, obviously. So I don't know how that works. He may have just been in chat frenzy and neglected to mention Rodriguez. Doesn't change much, for me. IMO, Rodriguez is the most expendable of Portland's youngin's, what with Blake and Bayless filling up that position.

[quote name='add-on' post='1700023' date='Feb 25 2009, 18.16']I will fight you.

I do not know, sir. I believe I read it in Ford's chat the other day. I don't believe draft picks figure in, though they will eventually, obviously. So I don't know how that works. He may have just been in chat frenzy and neglected to mention Rodriguez. Doesn't change much, for me. IMO, Rodriguez is the most expendable of Portland's youngin's, what with Blake and Bayless filling up that position.[/quote]

Yeah I had read about it in Ford's chat as well. He didn't really elaborate though.

[quote name='aeu' post='1699943' date='Feb 25 2009, 18.55']Luke Walton is definitely not it. Troy Murphy might be a decent choice.

Hard for me to judge David Lee. He's having a good season but the numbers are so inflated in D'antoni's system, especially when the team is just aimless. I just cannot tell if all the hype is justified. But he does have potential to be the best of the bunch.

Too bad Kirk Hinrich is dead. Ditto for Adam Morrison.[/quote]

troy murphy over luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke! surely you jest sir!

[quote name='childe roland' post='1700075' date='Feb 25 2009, 19.54']troy murphy over luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke! surely you jest sir![/quote]

Well, I took Mike Dunleavy over both, so I don't even know what I'm doing at this point.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1700009' date='Feb 25 2009, 18.59']Do draft picks count in salary figures for trades? Because otherwise isn't Carter's contract too much higher than Raef's to make the trade? There is an over 4 million dollar difference there. I know there is a percentage range it can be in, but I thought they would need to toss one young guy to make the money work.[/quote]

Draft picks do not count. I think total salaries should be %85 of one and other (plus some small amount, a hundred thousand maybe?)

If ESPN numbers are correct, there's only a 2 M difference between the salaries. The trade machine approves the trade, so it must be valid. :P

[quote name='aeu' post='1700172' date='Feb 25 2009, 19.51']If ESPN numbers are correct, there's only a 2 M difference between the salaries. The trade machine approves the trade, so it must be valid. :P[/quote]
Success!

[quote name='BLU-RAY' post='1700295' date='Feb 25 2009, 21.22']It's David Lee. It has to be[/quote]
Yeah, but only when we're not allowed our Canadians. Goddamn rules.

Well, a more depressing night of basketball I have not seen for quite some time. Duke wins only because the other team was not allowed to play with their best player for half the game, Dominic James -- an impact player and a senior for Marquette -- suffers a year ending injury, and my Bulls show they can still be really [i]really[/i] bad.

Forget the fact that Devin Harris just ate our lunch, because I think he was gonna do that anyway. But we went ice friggin cold in the second half. The whole team couldn't hit a friggin' shot. And somehow Tyrus Thomas kept ending up with the ball 18 ft from the basket with the shot clock running out. That's just not a recipe for success.

You can tell everybody's trying to get used to a new rotation, Vinny included. You can also tell that Ben Gordon feels a little threatened as he's doing even more dumb shit than usual. I mean, with Ben you have to live with some dumb shit because the flip side is usually around 20 points and maybe even a 10-0 run all by himself. But it's getting out of hand right now.

[quote name='aeu' post='1700172' date='Feb 25 2009, 20.51']Draft picks do not count. I think total salaries should be %85 of one and other (plus some small amount, a hundred thousand maybe?)

If ESPN numbers are correct, there's only a 2 M difference between the salaries. The trade machine approves the trade, so it must be valid. :P[/quote]

I think the trade exception(s) come into play. Port has 2.9 million and NJ had 1.2. I think POR could have acquired VC by using the 2.9 million trade exception. Pretty sure but that amount would give them the flexibility to make the trade work....

Archived